The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

I'm going through the phases of first worrying about my accommodation, then i'll see something that'll make me feel better (Like the fact they've only done like 1200 out of 3500 rooms) and then another of my friends will say they've got one of the rooms I want, and i'll go full circle again! Argggh! :tongue:

I swear, UEA have got Big Brother cameras in my room and are enjoying watching me squirm. It was like 6:30pm on results day they firmed me, I didn't get the letter everyone else got on like Monday until today, and now this accommodation! :tongue:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by diamonddust
I can cook. I just refuse to cook meat or fish. :tongue: Actually, it's been months since I 'cooked' anything more complex than an omelette and salad so I'll probably be in 'everything I cook will be burnt to a crisp' mode!
It isn't possible to forget how to cook is it? :tongue:

I haven't bought anything yet! It's actually driving me mad because I like to have everything organised in advance but I can't get anything sorted atm! I tried to contact my old college so I can get my £100 book deposit back (so I can spend it! :tongue:) and they haven't replied. I have a double duvet set (because a double duvet on a single bed is the best thing ever!) but no duvet or fitted sheets and I have a purple frying pan which, in retrospect, should have been a saucepan because I'm not very likely to fry anything and that's it! I was going to *attempt* to buy some clothes today to cheer myself up but I couldn't find my cash card. I've put lots of things in an online basket at Dunlem Mills but I want to buy things in person! :tongue: My mum says she has loads of unused kitchen things so I need to see what she can give me. She doesn't have 99p purple plates and mugs though so I'll get those from Dunlem Mills! :tongue:
I'll try and get as much stuff from my mum and my stepmum as I can so I'll only need to buy clothes and a laptop and cables and general electronic stuff and a bike. Gosh, that's not *only* at all! My issue is I hate spending money! Even if it's on things I actually need! So I need someone to go shopping with me to stop me from staring at a pop up laundry basket and actually buy it. I can't believe how much money I'm going to be spending! :sad:
If you pack weeks in advance you'll have nothing to do the night before so you might as well wait haha!

Your full name and UEA ID. :smile:

I don't know. :s-smilie: I've never been able to cook... I made spaghetti once... then burnt cheese onto the frying pan. The recipe told me to add cheese with the bacon in the pan... I didn't have enough common sense to realise what would happen...

You had to pay a book deposit? And snap on the double duvet thing! I have a double on a single bed now. Extra warmth and comfort but oh so easy to trip over the ends on my way out of the room... Which reminds me, I need to buy a new duvet so I can take one with me... And some new cutlery and stuff. I already have some blue plastic plates (and a massive, bright red plastic mug that may have to stay home...) from when I went camping. But I will be needing some cheap pans.

I have a load of stationary now and some stuff we had around the house for me to take. But I still need a load of stuff (so much stuff. It's gonna cost so much - so glad my parents agreed to pay for it!)... Haha, I need someone to go with me to get me in the shop. I don't really like going into clothes shops in the towns close to where I live. I can rarely find jeans and dresses to fit me in there. There aren't many size 6 clothes where I live. But there's a Quiz open now and they do a lot of smaller sizes (too small for me too), which makes buying jeans so much easier. And of course, Primark now, but it's kinda hit and miss. Other stuff, though, I'm fine with getting. But I do get bored. Unless we're in Waterstones... :biggrin:

Maybe we should move this conversation over to the Freshers' thread... It's kinda veering away from accommodation...

Does anyone know if we need to bring a toaster or if there's one in the kitchens? And can you lift the mattress up from the bed enough to tuck a quilt under?
Reply 2382
Original post by ThePurpleRose

Does anyone know if we need to bring a toaster or if there's one in the kitchens? And can you lift the mattress up from the bed enough to tuck a quilt under?

Kitchens come with somewhat half-hearted toasters and yes, you can :smile: Infact, you can lift them off the bed, carry them in to the corridor and sleep out there if you really fancy.. so experience informs me.
Reply 2383
I don't know. :s-smilie: I've never been able to cook... I made spaghetti once... then burnt cheese onto the frying pan. The recipe told me to add cheese with the bacon in the pan... I didn't have enough common sense to realise what would happen...

You had to pay a book deposit? And snap on the double duvet thing! I have a double on a single bed now. Extra warmth and comfort but oh so easy to trip over the ends on my way out of the room... Which reminds me, I need to buy a new duvet so I can take one with me... And some new cutlery and stuff. I already have some blue plastic plates (and a massive, bright red plastic mug that may have to stay home...) from when I went camping. But I will be needing some cheap pans.

I have a load of stationary now and some stuff we had around the house for me to take. But I still need a load of stuff (so much stuff. It's gonna cost so much - so glad my parents agreed to pay for it!)... Haha, I need someone to go with me to get me in the shop. I don't really like going into clothes shops in the towns close to where I live. I can rarely find jeans and dresses to fit me in there. There aren't many size 6 clothes where I live. But there's a Quiz open now and they do a lot of smaller sizes (too small for me too), which makes buying jeans so much easier. And of course, Primark now, but it's kinda hit and miss. Other stuff, though, I'm fine with getting. But I do get bored. Unless we're in Waterstones... :biggrin:

Maybe we should move this conversation over to the Freshers' thread... It's kinda veering away from accommodation...

Toaster seems to be a little hit and miss; some people have them when they arrive other people don't... I'd wait till you get there as the flat will only need one anyway! And there will definitely be a grill so you can make toast in the early days with that.

You can lift the mattress up as much as you like (at least you could in the village and I know you can in mary chapman as well, presume it's the same everywhere!).

xxx

PS There is a Quiz in Norwich you'll be happy to know!
Original post by pigwigeon
The rooms in Victory House are the same size/shape/layout as those in Britten, Paston, Colman, Browne and Kett. They are fairly newly decorated and furnished. There's a wardrobe, a chest of drawers (three drawers) and a shelf above the wardrobe, plus above desk shelving. It's a fairly standard size, so you'll have space for underbed boxes (I could fit three regular sized ones plus a suitcase under my bed in Britten House) if you need them. I found the storage provided wasn't quite enough to fit all my clothes, but depending on how much stuff you have, you might not need as many boxes - you can always send them back with your parents.

In the kitchen, you'll get a shelf of a fridge, half a drawer of a freezer and as much cupboard space as you can claim when you move in. You may have to keep some of your kitchen stuff in your room, depending on how much has been taken up by your flatmates. You will have to supply all your cookware, and whilst there was a pots and pans sale in fresher's week last year, it's not too expensive to buy your own basic set of pans, plate/bowl and knives and forks. You won't need a kettle as there is a boiling water dispenser in the kitchen (which is really useful in dire tea emergencies) or a toaster as one in provided. Anything else you think you might need you should bring, bearing in mind you may have limited cupboard space. Some kitchen appliances that have been popular with my flatmates include the hallowed sandwich toaster, the mini George Foreman grill and the rice cooker. Also, if you're into ironing, an ironing board is provided but an iron isn't, so bring your own (mine was about £3.99 from Tesco and seems to do the trick). I think all this is applicable to Victory as I think it's pretty much the same as Britten House, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Original post by pigwigeon
Mmmm yeah. I can definitely vouch for the double duvet on a single bed. I just let the excess duvet hang over the side when I occasionally made my bed. And I'm a wriggler and I still woke up covered in duvet. Although that may have been part of the reason I didn't end up in a couple of 10am winter Thursday seminars...

I got loads of my stuff from IKEA. I blimming love that place. My little brother's starting uni this year and is thoroughly uninterested in what he brings with him apart from his computer and a lot of beer, so I have persuaded my mum into taking me there with her when she goes to get his uni stuff. I honestly cannot wait. I will vouch for Dunelm Mill pillows and duvets though, they're ridiculously comfy.

Thank you! :smile: You've actually answered all the questions that just popped into my head... And the ones I asked a few minutes ago... Thanks again! :smile:

Really looking forward to moving in now! ^_^

The village does not have toasters :no: It does have liftable mattresses though :yep:
Original post by UEAAccommodation
-

The facebook group is a really nice touch. :smile: Thanks.

Original post by Lucyyy
Kitchens come with somewhat half-hearted toasters and yes, you can :smile: Infact, you can lift them off the bed, carry them in to the corridor and sleep out there if you really fancy.. so experience informs me.

Thank you! :smile:

Haha, I hope it won't come to that... It would probably end up wedged in my doorway with my common sense and practical skills... :tongue:

Original post by kpwxx
Toaster seems to be a little hit and miss; some people have them when they arrive other people don't... I'd wait till you get there as the flat will only need one anyway! And there will definitely be a grill so you can make toast in the early days with that.

You can lift the mattress up as much as you like (at least you could in the village and I know you can in mary chapman as well, presume it's the same everywhere!).

xxx

PS There is a Quiz in Norwich you'll be happy to know!

Ooh, a grill - I hadn't considered that. I might be able to live off Bagels... :tongue: But I'd probably be better off learning to cook... Thank you! :smile:

I'm also glad for the Quiz. What with the Waterstones on campus and the supermarket nearby, I'm set. :biggrin:

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
The village does not have toasters :no: It does have liftable mattresses though :yep:

Thank you! :smile:

Can I bother you all again to ask if the hobs in the kitchen are electric ones? Sorry for the barrage of questions! :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tubsymeds
Hellloooo

Just got offered a place in Norfolk Terrace... Standard single.

Im doing Adult Nursing, so just wondering my neighbours will be other nurses?

Also my licence is 44 weeks long, is that for all nurses? And when i added up the total (£81.34 x 44) it is £90 less than my total rent... what is this additional charge? :smile:

Snap, I have a standard single in Norfolk Terrace and I'm doing med :O
I wonder if we'll be flatmates :P

Can I bother you all again to ask if the hobs in the kitchen are electric ones? Sorry for the barrage of questions! :colondollar:

They're hot plates AFAIK. But electric rather than gas :yep:
Reply 2389

Yeah, for some strange and completely unknown reason they don't seem to like gas hobs for student houses... a bit like lifts I guess!

It's frustrating because I hate electric hobs and you don't get anything else in student houses! :frown:

xxx

Original post by kpwxx
Yeah, for some strange and completely unknown reason they don't seem to like gas hobs for student houses... a bit like lifts I guess!

It's frustrating because I hate electric hobs and you don't get anything else in student houses! :frown:

xxx

Thanks! :smile: And sorry... You knew what I meant though! :tongue:

Thanks! :smile: And sorry... You knew what I meant though! :tongue:

Well no, hot plates are slightly different to electric hobs, although both are powered by electricity :p:

Original post by kpwxx

I much prefer electric hobs. Probably because it's what I've grown up with, but gas ones tend to scare me :afraid:
Reply 2392
Well no, hot plates are slightly different to electric hobs, although both are powered by electricity :p:

I much prefer electric hobs. Probably because it's what I've grown up with, but gas ones tend to scare me :afraid:

I can kind of see why; my friend has an oven which you have to spark and I'm always completely bewildered trying to turn it on!

But I've always had gas hobs at home and just find they're so much better at cooking, plus when you turn them off they're off, rather than electric hobs which just turn in to hand/towel/pan burning devices (the pan is especially annoying since I'm so used to leaving the pan on the hob to cool down!). And often you just have that little light to go by!

I guess 18 years is enough to convince me I'm unlikely to get blown up!

xxx
Just got an offer for suffolk terrace anyone else going there?
Reply 2394
Original post by tubsymeds
Hellloooo

Just got offered a place in Norfolk Terrace... Standard single.

Im doing Adult Nursing, so just wondering my neighbours will be other nurses?

Also my licence is 44 weeks long, is that for all nurses? And when i added up the total (£81.34 x 44) it is £90 less than my total rent... what is this additional charge? :smile:

Snap! I've also got a place in Norfolk and doing Adult Nursing

I did actually mean hot plates. My inital reaction to your post was; there are electric hobs? :eek: I though hot plates were the electric equivalent to gas hobs.. :nah: I am so hopeless... :colondollar: Sorry!

Learning to live on my own at uni is going to be interesting...
Got an offer for University Village Oak single ensuite, the rent is pretty good so pleased :biggrin:

:frown: It means I can't just roll out of bed into lectures though!

I was just wondering how big the rooms usually are in the Oak/Village and how far it is from the med campus/campus generally. Thank you :biggrin:!
Original post by *Funky-buddha*
Got an offer for University Village Oak single ensuite, the rent is pretty good so pleased :biggrin:

I was just wondering how big the rooms usually are in the Oak/Village and how far it is from the med campus/campus generally. Thank you :biggrin:!

You'll only be a maximum of 10 minutes walk from the main buildings though.

http://www.uea.ac.uk/ccp2/campusmap

this is the campus map & should hopefully help!
Reply 2398
Original post by *Funky-buddha*

About 10-15 mins walk from centre of campus, it's like a 2 minute walk to get on to campus but you have to add on the walk to get down University Drive past the sportspark. The med building is a couple of minutes further only. The hospital (if you have to go there?! I know nursing do.) is about a further 10-15 minutes walk, or a short bike ride in total, also the nearest hospital heading bus stop is about 5 mins from the village I'd say?

I managed to make a 9am once having woken up at 8:50!

The rooms are kind of... average? The bed is a standard single and then there is a long (longer than the bed) desk and an equally sized bit of floor (wide enough to stand an airer in) then a little square of floor at the end next to the shower pod. You can fit a surprising amount of stuff in! Some rooms have an extra bit of space because the rooms a little longer, they have a little 'space' kind of table like at the end of the bed. I think there may be another slight variation if you're in a corner room, it's probably bigger because that's the case on campus.

xxx
hey, can anyone give a rough run down of constable terrace ensuite?

Latest