The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Limesasquatch
Couchsurfing? I'm lost, please explain. :smile:

Www.couchsurfing.org - in short, you crash on people's couches. But instead of your friends couch, it's someone you don't know. It's grown into a global community, and basically equals one hell of an experience mixed with free accommodation. (however, people can decline you as well, its all a matter of writing a request that speaks to them. It's not a bed & breakfast.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kitebo
Www.couchsurfing.org - in short, you crash on people's couches. But instead of your friends couch, it's someone you don't know. It's grown into a global community, and basicqlly equals one hell of an experience mixed with free accommodation. (however, people can decline you as well, its all a matter of writing a request that speaks to them. It's not a bed & breakfast.)

Cool! I might give it a try, thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 42
Hey :smile:

Why are you resitting the year: Missed my AAA offers with A*AB (B in Chemistry - 6UMS off)
What course are you applying for: Medicine
What universities do you have in mind: BSMS, Southampton, Peninsula, Manchester, Liverpool/Lancaster (possibly)
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off: Work, work experience in hospital(s), volunteer work, volunteer work abroad, have an awesome gap year!

A quick question - to make a new UCAS application for 2012 entry, do we need to withdraw our 2011 application?
Also, what do we do about student finance? Just leave it or do we withdraw that as well?
Why are you resitting the year: I got awful results didn't think they'd be bad.
What course are you applying for: Information Systems
[B]What universities do you have in mind:[\B] Liverpool , Newcastle , Northcumbria , Portsmouth , Leeds or Liverpool John Moore.
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off: It's not really a year off probably go gym , or shopping , watch tv. I'm gonna study pretty much everyday though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Lydia211
I might email them instead. So just tell them I'm retaking the exams. An tell them about the bad grades that I'm aiming for better grades? Do we count as gap years if we're retaking the exams? I needed ABB.

Im not sure if we count as gap year students if we're retaking :s how much does it matter? and yeah im debating on emailing or ringing, I always feel ringing is more personal and you can ask more questions on the spot depending on their reactions but emailing you can construct what you want to say much better. Im trying to leave the unis for a while so they can deal with clearing etc, think i'll start getting on to them next week
Reply 45
I'm taking an unplanned gap year...still rather tentative about it actually :/
got BBB when i was expected to get AAB so i'm just going to grill myself till jan and get those grades with 4 exams at least. After that...i'll plan then :P And then...Pharmacy XD *i hope*
Reply 46
Original post by Strüberry
Haha, nice. That's not very far removed from my plans! I could help you with the language thing btw. I used to tutor French and Spanish in my spare time to GCSE-people. :smile:

I've been searching for that link for the last 30 mins now argh. I typed in "TOEFL" into the search function but it's not showing there or on the main forum. All I know is that there was a thread in this general vicinity and there is an official representative (with lime green username) from that company on TSR. I'll report back when I find it for you, sorry! :colondollar:

Well I could definitely do with some help learning. But how could you help? (I know how ridiculously rude that sounded, sorry, I hope you understand what I mean) :smile:

Was it TEFL? causee someone told me about it today and I think I saw it on the sta travel website in the gap year part but now I can't find it!
Reply 47
Original post by Milky Milk
I think everyone should 'introduce' themselves in the thread!

Why are you resitting the year:
What course are you applying for:
What universities do you have in mind:
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off:

Why are you resitting the year: Missed my offer by 1 UMS mark, hoping to bump a C grade to an A grade!
What course are you applying for: Marketing
What universities do you have in mind: LANCASTER, Durham so far
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off: Travel, Get better at French and Swedish, Cook, Shop, Work, Save, Raid IKEA, Get fit.

:ahee:
I expect this thread to be completely deserted around December/January time :wink:

Why are you resitting the year: Want to bump A in maths to A*
What course are you applying for: Mathematics
What universities do you have in mind: UCL,KCL,Sussex,Southampton,Bristol
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off: Get driving liscence, Learn a language, Go on holiday, Go travelling, and do f loads of partying (theres other things but hard to remember them all)
Reply 48
Original post by purplestarfish
helloo! nice to see some people in a similar situation to me!

i want to do maths at uni, i got A*AB in my a levels, but need A*AA for uni so I'm gonna retake one module from the B.

does anyone know if i have a chance at top universities like Warwick Bath KCL etc?

im so scaredddd :frown:

thx!! xxx

Depends on what course really? and Im in a similar situation, Applying to "top" unis. Im hoping since im only one grade off what they are asking for I will get offers, but am going to ring and explain my situation first
Reply 49
Why are you resitting the year: I got BBB and I needed ABB for University of Leeds :frown: hoping to resit as I'm only 10 UMS off in each subject to make it AAA
What course are you applying for: Law
What universities do you have in mind: Nottingham, Newcastle, Durham, Leeds, Queen Mary < the only thing with reapplying and resitting is that they don't like A level resitting applicants. Nottingham told me to justify why I took a third year and I think Durham don't like them either :frown:
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off: Resit like 2 exams and coursework to get AAA by March then probably just work and chill until university
Reply 50
This will probably be a bit of a hindrance in this thread but how is everybody explaining the gap year and reasons behind it in their personal statements????
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by cwd12
This will probably be a bit of a hindrance in this thread but how is everybody explaining the gap year and reasons behind in on personal statements?

I won't be? :confused:
Reply 52
Why are you resitting the year: I missed my offer by a grade and instead of settling for something else, I really want to re-sit, improve my grade and get onto the course I want to do.
What course are you applying for: Going to try for Japanese or 3D Animation
What universities do you have in mind: Leeds Met, Leeds Uni & newcastle
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off: Going to try and do a couple of TEFL classes for an extra qualification, maybe do some things related to Japanese, take the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test), go to see my boyfriend as much as I can in Leeds. :]
Reply 53
Original post by Deyesy
I won't be? :confused:

So you are just going to completely brush over the fact that you are on a gap year? Is it not quite important to use it to your advantage or maybe explain things if your retaking exams??
Reply 54
Original post by cwd12
So you are just going to completely brush over the fact that you are on a gap year? Is it not quite important to use it to your advantage or maybe explain things if your retaking exams??

Well if I end up doing some volunteering or something along those lines, i'll mention it but I plan to just resit my AS psychology exams and work.

I didn't think we'd need to explain it?
Reply 55
I'm taking a gap year now, i got 5 rejections last year for dentistry from Manchester, Cardiff, Bristol, Leeds and Imperial for biochem. Just had my results and i got:
A* - Biology, A*- Music, A-Chemistry and A-Business (AS) and i passed the welsh baccalaureat.
So i'm going to reapply and hope for the best. My GCSE's are
2A*'s, 6A's, 2 B's and a C

Any other would-be dentists out there reapplying?
Reply 56
Original post by Deyesy
Well if I end up doing some volunteering or something along those lines, i'll mention it but I plan to just resit my AS psychology exams and work.

I didn't think we'd need to explain it?

No you obviously dont have to. I was just planning on mentioning it briefly in my personal statement. But not sure why. I guess im overthinking it
Original post by Limesasquatch
Anyone going somewhere really cool? Like taking your backpack (or suitcase) and traveling around with a miniscule budget?

I think I'm going to interrail it up at some point round Europe, but haven't actually decided on where exactly to go (besides Germany, to visit my friend and Poland to see the concentration camps.. maybe somewhere a bit more cheerful too :tongue: )
Though, I'm the least street-wise person ever and will probably get myself killed roaming around random countries on my own. :colondollar: Then hopefully do some volunteering a bit further afield, depending on how much money I can manage to save up etc, got any plans?
Reply 58
*subscribes* :ninja:

I'm resitting my Chemistry modules to get my grade up to to an A (originally a C grade). :yep: I've yet to find an exam centre who will let me sit my exam though. :moon:

My college is not letting me to take it there as they apparently have 'no space'. :nothing:
just discoverd this thread. I am one of you!

Although I have got to admit that things might be easier if I'd just go to uni straight away and save me the hazzle of finding a job and earning enough money for the trip. Especially because I can't wait to get out of this place but it turns out that I am forced to stay a lot longer because of the financial aspects. So the the thought of skipping this and just start uni right away is tempting very tempting.

Latest