The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
Original post by gradjobplease
I won't be able to give you a definitive answer I don't think. I got in without doing it, some did AS Further, others did A level Further.

Regardless, Further Maths A level will stand you in very good stead for the maths you will have to do in your degree anyway, so I'd recommend doing it if you think you can do well in it :smile:

I'm already doing it. :u: I'm going for the full-blown challenge of FP3. :colone:

Thanks!
Original post by tooambitious
Oh yes of course, people have been saying Oxford will be asking for UMS, is this true? Definitely going to murder my ASs, btw well done your results are amazing!

Oxford won't be asking for your UMS because they apparently just don't care. If UMS marks were that important the offer would be higher anyways. An AAA-offer and then asking for UMS marks wouldn't make sense in my opinion.

But I agree with Tateco. I don't really get why Oxford puts so much emphasis on GCSEs but don't care about the UMS marks. It would make more sense if they switched to requesting UMS marks like Cambridge. But I guess they want to be different... :tongue:

Original post by Tateco

Thanks very much :smile: AS levels are much better than GCSEs, you get to do only subjects you enjoy so you can really motivate yourself, it definitely helped me having something high to aim for so it's good you know what you want to do early on! :smile:

I wish I had the opportunity to only study the subjects I enjoy... It really sucks when you have to write a 5 pages analysis about a love poem from the 1700's that you just don't care about. And don't let me get started on Biology, that subject has been ruining my overall average mark for the last 3 years :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 1902
Original post by nightmare91

I wish I had the opportunity to only study the subjects I enjoy... It really sucks when you have to write a 5 pages analysis about a love poem from the 1700's that you just don't care about. And don't let me get started on Biology, that subject has been ruining my overall average mark for the last 3 years :biggrin: :biggrin:

I feel for you :console: Englsh was the bane of my life at GCSEs

I also mistakenly took biology to AS, I regret it so much as I find the subject quite boring, luckily for me it has actually been in line with my other subjects! :colondollar:
Original post by Groat
I'm already doing it. :u: I'm going for the full-blown challenge of FP3. :colone:

Thanks!

Isn't FP2 supposed to be harder? :unimpressed:

Or are you doing both?

Though I can't really say much - I want to do FP3 more than FP2 >_>
Reply 1904
Original post by perrytheplatypus
Isn't FP2 supposed to be harder? :unimpressed:

Or are you doing both?

Though I can't really say much - I want to do FP3 more than FP2 >_>

I'm doing both. :sexface:
Original post by cheska16
omg everyone is scaring me so much on here! thought my grades were really good..not thinking that so much anymore and everyone is so prepared! i'm still unsure whether i'm applying for econ or law!

Remember that this is a self-selected sample, not just TSR users (already on average much higher) but also ones posting in a uni application thread (even higher).
Reply 1906
omg everyone is scaring me so much on here! thought my grades were really good..not thinking that so much anymore and everyone is so prepared! i'm still unsure whether i'm applying for econ or law!

^ What Alex said.

How are you going to decide between them?
Reply 1907
Original post by Tateco
^ What Alex said.

How are you going to decide between them?

I don't know! I thought I would know having got my results but I don't :frown: and personal statements need to be in when I go back to school..
when/how did you decide you were doing economics?
Reply 1908
I don't know! I thought I would know having got my results but I don't :frown: and personal statements need to be in when I go back to school..
when/how did you decide you were doing economics?

I originally thought I wanted to do Medicine or Chemistry, but when I started my AS levels I realised I really liked economics and maths and really didn't like biology (I still like chemistry but not as much) so that's that :tongue:

I don't know how you could decide :s-smilie: Do you like maths?
Reply 1909
Original post by Tateco
I originally thought I wanted to do Medicine or Chemistry, but when I started my AS levels I realised I really liked economics and maths and really didn't like biology (I still like chemistry but not as much) so that's that :tongue:

I don't know how you could decide :s-smilie: Do you like maths?

oh I see so you've known for ages :smile:
well no not really, its the AS I have to work the hardest for but still got a solid A but I do really like economics..its just whether I'd cope with the maths at university when you're being taught on a board with hundreds of people!
are you keeping 4 a levels next year?
Reply 1910
oh I see so you've known for ages :smile:
well no not really, its the AS I have to work the hardest for but still got a solid A but I do really like economics..its just whether I'd cope with the maths at university when you're being taught on a board with hundreds of people!
are you keeping 4 a levels next year?

You could maybe consider that then, if Maths isn't your strongest subject then go with Law, because the top universities require an A* in Maths and the top 10 want A*AA for economics whereas I believe law is still AAA in a lot of cases.

I'm dropping Biology and then trying to do a further maths AS to help with my economics application, I want to try and get A*A*A* next year and dropping one should give me the time to do that, for me A*A*A* is better than A*A*AA! :smile:
Reply 1911
Original post by Tateco
You could maybe consider that then, if Maths isn't your strongest subject then go with Law, because the top universities require an A* in Maths and the top 10 want A*AA for economics whereas I believe law is still AAA in a lot of cases.

I'm dropping Biology and then trying to do a further maths AS to help with my economics application, I want to try and get A*A*A* next year and dropping one should give me the time to do that, for me A*A*A* is better than A*A*AA! :smile:

yeah I thought if I do economics I would aim for courses that don't require A level maths so therefore they'd be fine with an a..but yeah you're right about law its just the LNAT is sooo hard and all the good unis require it :/
wow three*'s! you aiming for oxbridge then?
Reply 1912
yeah I thought if I do economics I would aim for courses that don't require A level maths so therefore they'd be fine with an a..but yeah you're right about law its just the LNAT is sooo hard and all the good unis require it :/
wow three*'s! you aiming for oxbridge then?

There are still loads of good universities that only need an A in Maths A-level for economics :smile:

Hopefully! It's very competitive though so I'll just have to wait and see :smile: What exactly is the LNAT?
Reply 1913
Original post by Tateco
There are still loads of good universities that only need an A in Maths A-level for economics :smile:

Hopefully! It's very competitive though so I'll just have to wait and see :smile: What exactly is the LNAT?

yeah thats true but having had parents who both went to cambridge i have to go somewhere good! I'm sure you'll get in with your grades..
its 42 multiple choice questions on passages then a 40 minute essay :s-smilie:
have decided after lots of reading today I'm defo not doing econ so its just between land economy (law and econ) and law..such an indecisive person!

Sounds fun. :tongue:

have decided after lots of reading today I'm defo not doing econ so its just between land economy (law and econ) and law..such an indecisive person!

Take your time - I also didn't decide until quite late. :smile:
Reply 1915
yeah thats true but having had parents who both went to cambridge i have to go somewhere good! I'm sure you'll get in with your grades..

Don't rush into anything :smile: Make a list of pros and cons or something so you can make an informed decision.
Reply 1916
LSE admissions seem to be pretty sure they aren't requiring UMS grades. :s-smilie:
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
LSE admissions seem to be pretty sure they aren't requiring UMS grades. :s-smilie:

Really? Maybe last year was a test run. Im not sure they even told candidates last year. Ah well, not sure if it will hinder or help applicants.
Reply 1918
hi guys, I'm thinking of doing economics at university next year and am predicted ABB at a-level but was wondering is it worth applying to a university that accepts typical offers of AAB? or do they just ignore your application if you don't have those grades.
Reply 1919
Original post by StarChamber
Really? Maybe last year was a test run. Im not sure they even told candidates last year. Ah well, not sure if it will hinder or help applicants.

Definitely would have helped me, probably won't bother applying any more, or might try a different course which is still related to economics!

Latest

Trending

Trending