The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crazylemon
I can. I choose to live here!

Expect them to change. What happens when they say no?

My point on paying twice is that having NI and then being told you are not going to be treated as you are and unrepentant fatty is the same as having contents insurance that refuses to pay out when you have had a fire. Contents insurance that you were forced to buy to boot.

Contents insurence won't pay if you diddn't lock your door and take all reasonable precautions.
Just wondering which textbook/resource you all found useful for learning upper and lower limb anatomy? I have Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore and Dalley and I've been reading through it but it isn't that great for these sections in my opinion. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Original post by billet-doux
Just wondering which textbook/resource you all found useful for learning upper and lower limb anatomy? I have Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore and Dalley and I've been reading through it but it isn't that great for these sections in my opinion. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Netter's. It's awesome.

Essentially Netter does win, I like the anatomy colouring book too though.
Original post by crazylemon
I have the colouring book. Never touched it...

Greys and slides did it for me. Oh and I have an atlas that I used for some neck stuff.

My limb anatomy is awful though. I know virtually 0 origins and insertions and would probably forget a fair few of the muscles and all but the big tubes....

It seems like a pain the the ass colouring it in, but one day just spend 20 minutes colouring something.

Its quite fun, the the diagrams are pretty. lol

I just used Gray's and the lecture notes - make sure you turn up to all upper limb lectures, it's drawing and colouring in!
Aaah! I'm going away this afternoon. Scary times.
Original post by Wangers
Yes, and my point is that people should take responsibility for their actions, and inactions. You cannot be held responsible for Radon exposure, but you can steps to stop smoking - I am not saying we should punish people for smoking, or being fat, but it is reasonable to expect people to make some effort to improve their condition, or at least not willfully continue something which is detrimental to health and treatment. I don't plan to punish COPD patients for smoking - but I would expect them to take nicotine replacement theapy for instance. We cannot afford to pander to the wants of a population who will not take care of themselves - it simply is not viable. And a for paying twice? Well in every other walk of life, if you break something, you replace it - and pay through the nose, it is worth considering as a incentive.

oh naïveté.
Original post by Mushi_master
I just used Gray's and the lecture notes - make sure you turn up to all upper limb lectures, it's drawing and colouring in!

Thanks! Does the drawing and colouring in actually help?! I don't mean to sound like a cynic but that kind of thing doesn't usually help me learn :tongue:
Thanks! Does the drawing and colouring in actually help?! I don't mean to sound like a cynic but that kind of thing doesn't usually help me learn :tongue:

With the anatomy colouring book, when you spend time colouring the anatomical word in a particular colour, and then the structure in that same colour, the two sort of stick.
Original post by carcinoma
With the anatomy colouring book, when you spend time colouring the anatomical word in a particular colour, and then the structure in that same colour, the two sort of stick.

Thank you! So is that this one on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netters-Anatomy-Coloring-Book-Student/dp/1416047026

I meant this Netter product http://www.netterpresenter.com/human-anatomy/?grouplicenseid=1.50, which is essentially Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy - 4th Edition

As for the colouring book I have only ever used this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0805350861/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=4485148856&ref=pd_sl_1ls6lgucdm_e

No idea what the netter one is like.
I have the Netter colouring book.

It does the job :dontknow:
I'm completely thrown by the simplest of enrolment questions for intercalation:

"Have you ever started a higher education course (i.e. above A level or equivalent) in the UK before, and if so did you attend this course for 6 months or more? This includes HNC, HND, Foundation, Cert HE and Dip HE courses, whether at a university or college."

Does 3 years of undergrad medicine, not producing a qualification, count as a yes for this? :confused:
Curious as to what feedback other med schools get from OSCEs?

At ours we literally just get a mark for each station, and only examiner comments if you fail the station (most of which are totally unhelpful).

Massive hinderance to any improvement as theres some stations where you really don't know what more you could have done!
Original post by edcourageous

At ours we literally just get a mark for each station, and only examiner comments if you fail the station (most of which are totally unhelpful).

Massive hinderance to any improvement as theres some stations where you really don't know what more you could have done!

We get a pass mark/your mark/total mark for each station and then overall, and then what quartile we're in.

We then get generalised feedback on what "students" did well and bad at for each station.

So for example, blood pressure we might get "students were generally good at introducing themselves" and "students need to work on their explanations of the procedure" or something like that :dontknow:

I don't know what you get back if you fail a station - I'm not sure if you get anything more specific/can get your individual mark scheme back.

Fail/Pass/Excellent for each station.

Then a break down of high unsat, low unsat, sat, low exel, high exel for each skill they were testing, (e.g comms, professionalism, hand washing, the examination technique ect)

Then anything you did well, badly and general feedback from the examiner.
Reply 5297

We initially just get a pass/fail for the osce. Then a while later we get an email with a grade: A-F for each station. If we fail we have to meet up with the osce supervisor and get specific comments on each station.
11 days until I'm in Norwich, and 17 days until the course starts up again :dance: I am so fed up with summer :sigh:
Our OSCE feedback is reallllyyyyy crap (at least in preclin years). You just get told your overall average percentage over all the observed stations (and the emqs we do inbetween the observed stations). Just that one simple percentage telling you how well you did over absolutely everything. Its really bad actually. No breakdown between the EMQ stations and the actual observed stations, no breakdown between individual observed stations, NOTHING. Thats why I always try and glance at the marksheet as I leave the station in the exam - just tells me how well or bad I'm doingso far because I know they won't tell me in the end. Doing that tells me what stations I failed and which ones I passed - thats the only way to find out I suppose (or unless you had to resit it when I suppose they'd HAVE to tell you anyway). They say they'll try to improve it, but nothing has changed since we started them two years ago. Very annoying!!

Latest

Trending

Trending