The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

What is it like at Staffordshire?

I have been on unionview, but Staffordshire isn't on there.

What is the area like, the social scene etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
which campus you talking about stoke or staffs

if you mean staffs its shockingly bad im afraid

if you mean stoke its really good (apart from it being in stoke)
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by diablo_nath

I'm not sure... it's for biology.
Looking at this forum, they seem to be all pissy about accomodation
Reply 3
biology is going to be stoke so you will have a good night life :smile: as people actually leave there rooms to socialize haha.

i have been round some of the halls in stoke they seem alright tbh, i have been to a few universities and they all seem to have good halls and bad halls there was nothing that really stood out about them i could see but then again i didnt live there.

i remember hearing about someone complaining about water. oh and that one of the buildings was condemned :P

being in stoke your not that far from newcastle which is a good night out and of course hanley, they also have gobble at LRV (the union) on a wednesday thats always good to go to.
I'll be starting my Nursing course at the Stafford campus in Sept & I've heard that this campus isn't as good as the Stoke campus seeing as it's quite far away from any decent clubs & that the night life isn't as good! :frown:

I'm just hoping that Taxi fairs aren't expensive as I'm sure I'll be using them at least twice a wk to go to Stoke or Newcastle for the night life! :/

Which would you say is the main campus, Stafford or Stoke? Do more things happen on the Stoke campus & is it bigger?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi there,

Nightlife is what you make of it, if you decide to sit in every night then that's your choice.

As for Stafford it's a great campus, the accomodation is second to none, stoke accomodation is not of the same standard regardless of what people say and the staff at Stafford are a lot more friendly.

You life 5-15 minutes away from campus, and regular busses between stafford town or stoke are on the campus, or 30 minute walk to town.

There's a good nightlife both at the union and in town although the town can sometimes be quiet if people don't give it a go but it's who you're with that makes the night.

Plus being a nurse I doubt you'll have free time to go out twice a week, university after all is for learning not for partying :P
Reply 6
Original post by Kash:)
I have been on unionview, but Staffordshire isn't on there.

What is the area like, the social scene etc.

Hey, I'm at the Stoke campus too. The area itself isn't that nice at all, it's a bit of a dump tbh. As for the nightlife, you have to travel for a bit to get to it. Apart from the uni club, which is decent enough, all of the clubs are in hanley which is like a 5-10 min taxi ride. Once you're there though, the nightlife's fantastic.... there's about 6 clubs on 1 street! Be warned though, they can be quite expensive. On the whole though, I've just finished my first semester and I've enjoyed it so much, one of the best times of my life. I wholeheartedly recommend it :smile:
Original post by volmasoft
Hi there,

Nightlife is what you make of it, if you decide to sit in every night then that's your choice.

As for Stafford it's a great campus, the accomodation is second to none, stoke accomodation is not of the same standard regardless of what people say and the staff at Stafford are a lot more friendly.

You life 5-15 minutes away from campus, and regular busses between stafford town or stoke are on the campus, or 30 minute walk to town.

There's a good nightlife both at the union and in town although the town can sometimes be quiet if people don't give it a go but it's who you're with that makes the night.

Plus being a nurse I doubt you'll have free time to go out twice a week, university after all is for learning not for partying :P

Wholeheartedly agree with this post. The nightlife is always what you make of it. If you stay in because you've heard the night is gonna be '****' or theres not gonna be people there, then you're ruining it for yourself. If you get some friends together, get the rave taxi (basically a pimped out van with a grumpy man driving, but he puts on tunes and theres strobe lights, tv's etc) straight into the town center for £1 each. you can then go to the wetherspoons there then to corture which is actually pretty good. If you do want to though, you can occasionally get some people together and go to Hanley on the bus or taxi, which is as a previous poster said, is really good.

Bottom line, it's what YOU make of it. You WILL have a good time in town at the Stafford campus, it will just be made worse by people hating on it so much
Reply 8
Original post by michaelgooch

Bottom line, it's what YOU make of it. You WILL have a good time in town at the Stafford campus, it will just be made worse by people hating on it so much

I love you for pointing this out.
Reply 9
stafford is a great night out - its more than what you'd expect for the size of the town. loads of pubs, loads of bars - apres, casa, vidal lounge, spoons, the yard, the tavern and a massive three room club - couture which reugularly has live performances - tinie tempah, proffesor green, katy b, chase and status etc. cant go wrong.
Reply 10
Couture in Stafford is really good and would make a good club in any other place in the country
is it a multicultural uni? any asians there? or isit just white?
Original post by student1605

First of all, I don't see why it would matter, secondly people come from all over the world, and thirdly the city of Stoke is more diverse than Stafford, but that may not be reflected inside the university.

The computing and nursing courses are done at Stafford
to put it simply:

Stoke-on-trent is known to be such a dingy, broken down area but after 3 months of being home for summer i am DYING to get back to uni!!!!!

by far the best year of my life so far in that place, great nightlife, some of the nicest people youll meet, more than enough stuff for students to do and you don't have to trek far to lectures etc which means more time in bed in the morning.

best uni.
Reply 15
I had to come onto this forum to have a gander at what people are saying about Stoke. I'm off to the University of London in September, but I was born in Stoke and I've spent my entire life here. It really isn't as bad as people are making out! I'm not going to lie and tell you it's a magnificent city, mainly because it (literally) doesn't have the funding or the means to be one. If you come from Manchester, London, Birmingham etc, then yeah, Stoke is going to be a bit of a culture shock because it's a small city and doesn't have half of the facilities that the bigger cities do. But it's nowhere near as rough as the suburbs of other cities! I could happily walk round pretty much any part of Stoke in the dead of the night and feel 100% safe! Also, the people are incredibly friendly here and it's only a couple of miles away from the countryside, like the Peak District- if you get a chance to go then DO. Living in Stoke isn't going to satisfy the hunger of culture vultures, but it genuinely isn't half as bad as people are making out. I also have a lot of friends who go to Staffs and they love it! I'm going to really miss it here!

Finally, as for nightlife, there's a pub across the road from the Stoke campus called 'The Terrace'- make sure you go in! Great atmosphere, great music and cheap drinks! :wink: If you want clubs then go into Hanley and opt for somewhere like the Sugarmill (live bands, rooftop bar, 2-4-1 drinks, grungy but great) or the Factory (gay club, really fun night out and cheap drinks). Good luck!
Original post by student1605

Really don't understand why it matters to be honest, everyone mixes and is mostly friendly to everyone else. People who just stick to their own race are just being small-minded really.

Back on-topic, I don't see anything wrong with Stafford, I come from a tiny village and I can't think of anything else I'd want in town to be honest, plenty of shops and a wetherspoons, clubbing is my idea of hell as I prefer a more laid back, social drink so maybe my opinion is a bit bias. There are plenty of decent pubs, it's not a small town by any means, it's a nice area, pretty safe too.

That's not true. Everyone hates on Stafford but I like it there. If you've chosen Stafford you know it's not gonna be a booming party scene. The union is quiet but nice to go to for a drink with friends
Reply 18
^^ This post.

Also, Birmingham is roughly the same distance as Stoke on Trent is from Stafford. Worth the visit when you're not in the mood for Stoke.
Original post by mattyboi90
^^ This post.

Also, Birmingham is roughly the same distance as Stoke on Trent is from Stafford. Worth the visit when you're not in the mood for Stoke.

Stoke to Birmingham ~ 30 miles
Stoke to Stafford ~ 15 miles

All on main railway line, as is Manchester to the north, Stoke about in the middle between Manchester/Birmingham if wanting the odd big city night out. Although many actually go the other way as it is often less traumatic than big city nightlife.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending