The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1920
Original post by Tateco
Definitely would have helped me, probably won't bother applying any more, or might try a different course which is still related to economics!

You could always mention your UMS in your reference
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1921
Original post by iDeagle
hi guys, I'm thinking of doing economics at university next year and am predicted ABB at a-level but was wondering is it worth applying to a university that accepts typical offers of AAB? or do they just ignore your application if you don't have those grades.

Can't hurt to risk one or two AAB choices!
Original post by Tateco
Definitely would have helped me, probably won't bother applying any more, or might try a different course which is still related to economics!

I am actually also rethinking whether I should apply for LSE Econ... It is a great course but I have the feeling that without Further Maths (okay I am an international but still) I won't have a great chance... It is probably wise to have another option... Have you got an idea?
Original post by zxh800
You could always mention your UMS in your PS

That's hard to do without looking arrogant, better would be to get your reference to mention it.
Reply 1924
Original post by zxh800
You could always mention your UMS in your PS

I'll get it mentioned in my reference but it's not really the same as the university taking the initiative to compare UMS across candidates :frown:

It's not that much of a big deal to me anyway, I think I prefer UCL to LSE and am not mad about living in London for three years :redface:
Reply 1925
Original post by nightmare91
I am actually also rethinking whether I should apply for LSE Econ... It is a great course but I have the feeling that without Further Maths (okay I am an international but still) I won't have a great chance... It is probably wise to have another option... Have you got an idea?

This is exactly my thinking. I have no Further Maths and only 5A* GCSE (the two things which LSE discriminate against more than any other university for Econ) so I might go for Durham, or risk another slightly less competitive course at LSE.
Original post by Tateco
This is exactly my thinking. I have no Further Maths and only 5A* GCSE (the two things which LSE discriminate against more than any other university for Econ) so I might go for Durham, or risk another slightly less competitive course at LSE.

I've already got Durham on my list :biggrin:. And I have also chosen UCL for a different course than economics (actually just because the offer for Germans is impossible). I don't know what courses at LSE aren't competitive and the PS also has to match the course... Difficult... Is St. Andrews worth applying for?
Reply 1927
Original post by StarChamber
Really? Maybe last year was a test run. Im not sure they even told candidates last year. Ah well, not sure if it will hinder or help applicants.

It'd certainly help my application. :s-smilie: My UMS should be in the reference, but as Tateco aforementioned, if LSE don't request them they aren't being scrutinised for comparison.
Reply 1928
Original post by alex_hk90
That's hard to do without looking arrogant, better would be to get your reference to mention it.

Yes you're right. My mind was in two places. I was thinking about my personal statement but what I meant was to mention it in the reference. Somewhere between my brain and my fingers the two became confused. A freudian slip :colondollar:
Reply 1929
Original post by zxh800
Yes you're right. My mind was in two places. I was thinking about my personal statement but what I meant was to mention it in the reference. Somewhere between my brain and my fingers the two became confused. A freudian slip :colondollar:

:rofl:

Original post by nightmare91
I've already got Durham on my list :biggrin:. And I have also chosen UCL for a different course than economics (actually just because the offer for Germans is impossible). I don't know what courses at LSE aren't competitive and the PS also has to match the course... Difficult... Is St. Andrews worth applying for?

It was Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Bath and LSE for me but now might replace LSE with Durham. St. Andrews would be next on my list, it's a good university with an very good reputation.

If you haven't got Bath you should consider it, it looks good :u:
Original post by Tateco

It was Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Bath and LSE for me but now might replace LSE with Durham. St. Andrews would be next on my list, it's a good university with an very good reputation.

Oh I heard about Bath! My sister went there for a language course, she loved it! I didn't know that they have a good economics course though. But thanks! I'll definetely consider it! Then except for Cambridge our choices would be exactly the same :biggrin:
Original post by Tateco

Exact same universities as mine now :smile:
Reply 1932
Original post by Tateco

Original post by Tateco

i heard UCL are quite hard on gcses aswell, my friend got into cambridge for economics but got rejected from LSE,bristol, and UCL based on gcses ( he got 6A*s)
Reply 1933
Original post by crazy1234
Exact same universities as mine now :smile:

And mine. :sexface:

Original post by expopyro
i heard UCL are quite hard on gcses aswell, my friend got into cambridge for economics but got rejected from LSE,bristol, and UCL based on gcses ( he got 6A*s)

At least that story has a silver lining with Cambridge, but that's crazy! What were his AS results like?
Quick question about PS, I went to an economics summer school and talked about some of the models/theories I learnt about, is it worthwhile explaining it to show I'm not just naming random names or just talking about why I am partuclarly interested or what apect about it I am particularly intersted in?
Reply 1935
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
And mine. :sexface:

At least that story has a silver lining with Cambridge, but that's crazy! What were his AS results like?

he got high 90s overall i think...
Reply 1936
Original post by expopyro
he got high 90s overall i think...

Wow, that's tough. :s-smilie:
Hmm...bath...
I'll have to look into that :holmes:
I was thinking about what I wanted to do today, I have decided that economics option would be best for me.

But my chances of going to a top 10 uni would be limited because my GCSES were not great, I got AAABBBBCCCE

I just done my AS year and got a BBE. I am taking economics (B), psychology (B), business (E) and this year taking AS maths.

Are my grades and subject choices good enough to apply for economics.
Original post by crazy1234
Quick question about PS, I went to an economics summer school and talked about some of the models/theories I learnt about, is it worthwhile explaining it to show I'm not just naming random names or just talking about why I am partuclarly interested or what apect about it I am particularly intersted in?

The latter. Explaining the models/theories won't gain you that much (anyone can copy definitions) but talking about them with understanding would be good.

Latest

Trending

Trending