The Student Room Group

Have I stopped growing at 19?

I'm 19 and 5'8 (174cm) and I have seemed to have only grown about 2 inches (three inches max) in the past 6 years since I was 13. I used to be taller than nearly everyone back then and now even the shortest people I knew back then are pretty much an inch under me now.
I'm wondering is it possible I might have another growth spurt in the near future or have I just done growing? It's weird since some clothes I've had since I was 13 still fit me just fine.

5'10 is pretty much my ideal height.
Reply 1
I was a giant when I was 11, and didn't go again tbh! Just shot up to 5ft6 and I even weigh the same amount. *Shrug*
Reply 2
Original post by ifstatement
I'm 19 and 5'8 (174cm) and I have seemed to have only grown about 2 inches (three inches max) in the past 6 years since I was 13. I used to be taller than nearly everyone back then and now even the shortest people I knew back then are pretty much an inch under me now.
I'm wondering is it possible I might have another growth spurt in the near future or have I just done growing? It's weird since some clothes I've had since I was 13 still fit me just fine.

Maybe you will continue to grow but probably not. Are your parents nearer to 5ft 10?
Also hey at least your not 5ft 5 like me =/ I would love to be 5'8
It'd be pretty unusual to grow after 19.
Reply 4
well I pretty much stopped growing at 12 and still look like I did at 14. To cap it off I am now the smallest in my family (not even taller than my mum), with my 12 year old sister being taller and with a fuller figure. You've just to accept it really; but I sympathise - I always used to be tall too. I'm a girl by the way.
Reply 5
In my family people who grew early and became the tallest in their classes at around 13 years old didn't grow much, if any, afterwards.

Where as people (like me) who grew slowly but steadily ended up slightly taller (I am 5'11 ).

I think its unlikely you will grow again... especially at 19.
drink some milk
Reply 7
Unlikely.
Reply 8
I hope I've stopped growing at 19. I'm about 6ft6 and I hate it. I'd prefer to be a good 4 inches shorter.
Reply 9
I've stopped growing maybe in mid-16 and now 177 cm. It is quite enough. :smile:
Original post by Agata
I like tall boys... maybe like 6ft3 or 6'2 :coma:

What an absolutely useless, antagonistic post. No one cares. Say something useful which answers the OP's problems or go away.

What have you got to offer a guy? Probably **** all - just another fat, average looking girl who thinks she's god's gift to men.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Lol
Reply 12
It might be possible, because there isn't a concrete cut-off point for anyone. It depends on gender, genes, family history (are your parents/sibilngs/cousins/aunts etc the kind of people who shot up at 13 and capped their height there, or are they more steady growers, eventually stopping at their very late teens?), environment ... all these play a role in how tall you could be.

I've read somewhere that the maximum possible height that any adult individual can possibly grow is 1- 2 inches taller than they are now, and that there are exercises to make the spine appear longer and hence make you appear taller. I don't know how true that is, but it's worth giving it a look if you're really that desperate.

Also, this may be a random question, but do you have scoliosis? People with mild to severe scoliosis have their spines curved and are usually shorter than they could be. If they get their spines straightened out they could be 1 - 3 inches taller.
Reply 13
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
What an absolutely useless, antagonistic post. No one cares. Say something useful which answers the OP's problems or go away.

What have you got to offer a guy? Probably **** all - just another fat, average looking girl who thinks she's god's gift to men.

I agree. OP don't worry too much, a lot of girls I've noticed are around 5ft 6 or 7 so you should be a little taller or equal in height.

Like I said before, at least you aint 5ft 5 like me that's when life's a bit tough :tongue:
Original post by ifstatement

my favourite character is roronoa Zoro
Reply 15
I think 5'8" is a nicer height for a guy than 5'10" (but just 'cause I am short, hehe.)
Original post by kandy666
I was a giant when I was 11, and didn't go again tbh! Just shot up to 5ft6 and I even weigh the same amount. *Shrug*

LOL my mum always says that she was huge at 11 and stayed the same... she's 5ft1!

Quick Reply

Latest