The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

New fourth dimensions stuff for this episode (words in italic on the fourth dimension page on the bbc website)

Spoiler

Speculation

Spoiler

Original post by Tempeststurm
New fourth dimensions stuff for this episode (words in italic on the fourth dimension page on the bbc website)

Spoiler

Speculation

Spoiler

Spoiler

Why didn't Amy just sonic the wrist wibbly-wobbly thingy and make them have privileges again. Why not just sonic the other people's ones and not theirs so they don't get attacked by the Antibodies (I love biology so yay)
Original post by spacepirate-James
It's not going to be 'What is 6 x 9?' is it?

:nooo:

[soamazingifitwas]

Fail. :colonhash:
River Song is trending on Twitter. :s-smilie:
Original post by LastLordofTime
It was a good episode of Doctor Who - just a shame that most of the twists were pretty obvious if you were paying attention (even without having known a few of them before the episode even started).

Agreed. Mels...oh that's totally not gonna be MELody Pond is it? :facepalm2:
Original post by ??????????????????
The question is "what is the question?" Think about it. It's hiding in plain sight and was the first question. Chicken and egg riddles. D:

I have an idea- Doctor who? Could be to do with the doctor's name?
I think it was a very good episode, I look forward to the next one.
Also I like the character development for Rory. He's getting more involved which is good.
Original post by JessicaW
Fail. :colonhash:

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
6 x 7 surely :holmes:

Nope. In one of the books he plays scrabble and pulls out the word 42...

so he randomly picks up other letters and gets the question, "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?"

Obviously 6 x 9 is 54. :h: [though in base 13 it is 42 :colone:]
Original post by Aleeece123
I have an idea- Doctor who? Could be to do with the doctor's name?

Could be. Somebody else on this thread speculated he whispered his name to River. Maybe that's the hiding in plain sight bit. Though the Doctor isn't THAT old.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Agreed. Mels...oh that's totally not gonna be MELody Pond is it? :facepalm2:

I thought it was a red herring.

I thought they'd made it too obvious just so they could throw us off the scent. :frown:
Original post by sleekchic
I thought it was a red herring.

I thought they'd made it too obvious just so they could throw us off the scent. :frown:

See after the River reveal at end of last series I'm thinking Moffat's not as cunning as I thought he was and is a bit more obvious (or we're too clever :yep:)
Original post by Bobifier
I don't think it was River in the astronaut at all.

Also, I was unconvinced by the idea that years of brainwashing could be overwritten by a single gesture of caring from the Doctor.

Also, I think it is fair to assume that he whispered his name in her ear.

Well, River has no idea of anything about The Doctor - why would his real name mean anything to her? I think it would be something about their future together, or as simple as "I love you"

So, a Question that needs answering, hiding in plain sight, sought by the Silence... Whatever it is, asking it causes Silence to fall. The lake was named 'Silencio' and is the place where he dies. Anybody betting the Doctor asks the Astronaut the Question?

So by that logic, silence falls when the Doctor dies? That's an interesting point, because we don't see what happens after the Doctor dies, so silence could have fallen after that. But I don't think we know anything about The Question so I have no speculation on what it is. I think it's something we won't be able to understand until later in the series :tongue:
Who is Benjamin?
Who is Benjamin?

Hopefully not the Doctor's real name...
Who is Benjamin?

I believe it is a reference to this film, but I could be wrong.
Another The Graduate reference. Older woman seducing younger man.

Ah right. So that's the film reference.

In my defence I haven't seen the film. :colondollar:
I think the opposite. I don't think the Doctor in TIA knew the Question. He went to the destination to die. And died. Curiously, he also invited Amy and Rory - almost as if he wanted them to change things - perhaps by slowly revealing his own death to him later on (like it's happened already). I think the current Doctor will find out the Question, ask it to the Astronaut and use it to escape his fate.

And that would take us to series 7 with the Doctor all fine and well. :wizard:

Of course, we have no idea what the Question is and what silencing falling is or how that would actually stop the Astronaut killing him or overcome any programming designed to that.

In TIA why did they travel back from 2011 to 1969? I can't remember.

"I'm dying. Who wants me dead?"
"The Silence"
"What is the Silence? Why is it called that? What does it mean?"
"The Silence is not a species. It is a religious order or movement their core belief is that Silence will Fall when The Question is asked."
"What question?"
"The First Question. The oldest question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight."

If The Silence want to kill the Doctor, and they believe that Silence will Fall when The Question is asked this leads me to two conclusions:

The Doctor asks The Question and they want to kill him to stop Silence Falling
OR
The Doctor stops The Question being asked, and they want to stop him stopping it because they WANT Silence to Fall.
To be honest, just take LastLordofTime's advice and apply Occam's razor to every question or speculation raised by the plot. Gives you less of a headache. :pierre:

It has been renamed Moffat's Razor - remember.
I loved the part where they all said 'spoilers' to River in a sort of tired resignation. :ahee:

Same, I love how it now goes full circle for the whole 'spoilers'.

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Well, River has no idea of anything about The Doctor - why would his real name mean anything to her? I think it would be something about their future together, or as simple as "I love you"

So by that logic, silence falls when the Doctor dies? That's an interesting point, because we don't see what happens after the Doctor dies, so silence could have fallen after that. But I don't think we know anything about The Question so I have no speculation on what it is. I think it's something we won't be able to understand until later in the series :tongue:

Well, I don't think he knew for sure at that point that he would be saved and he needs her to know that so that she tells him it in her future and his past so that he trusts her and all that jazz.

Latest