The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Looks a really interesting premise.

Still really want to see Planet of the apes but have no real opportunity before its out of cinemas.

Can't afford to see it when not on orange wednesdays and i go away for 10 days on tuesday.

Fingers crossed there's a few more showings after that.
Reply 4022
Definitely, Maybe or Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Haven't seen either and I'm bored and in the mood for a comedy.

I also caught the latest American Pie film the other day, it was ****ing awful and not funny at all.
Original post by mevidek
Jeannes Jacques Annaud is a really good director, I'd highly recommend his other films. Not too mainstream, very artistic, good acting and convincing stories make his films some of the best around!

Have you seen any of his other films?

Most notably the ones you listed on the other page? I haven't, no but I'm much more inclined to now. I'm going to get around to watching them within the next few days!

Original post by aja89
Aaaah yes, one of the greatest kid's movies ever in my opinion. :moon:

Pretty much anything Robin Williams did was a big hit with me in the 90s, Hook and Mrs Doubtfire especially. :rolleyes:

I miss films like that, they really don't make them anymore.

EDIT: And all those late 80s/90s Roald Dahl films. Matilda, The Witches, James & The Giant Peach, The BFG.

They really don't. Or perhaps that is our flawed perceptions since we're no longer kids. :tongue:

Roald Dahl was the pinnacle of my childhood. :moon:

Original post by Lewroll
Anyone see the Portal short film? Its got a few million views in less than 2 days!

That's really cool. Nice dark ending there. I want a Portal gun to be made in my lifetime.
This is why Quora is so god-damned good; one of Conan's screenwriters talking about what it's like to fail at the box office: http://www.quora.com/Whats-it-like-to-have-your-film-flop-at-the-box-office
That's pretty sad. It's so easy to forget the sheer amount of people that work and invest on a film for years, how it all slowly comes together as a product from so many different sources and how when it flops, the only thing that is remembered is the flop - and nothing else. To the majority of us, it's just one massive finished product that we can easily discount as being good or bad.
Original post by Deshi
Definitely, Maybe or Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Haven't seen either and I'm bored and in the mood for a comedy.

I also caught the latest American Pie film the other day, it was ****ing awful and not funny at all.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Twice the film.

The music they cut this with is hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing after he blew the door off.
Original post by Deshi

Forgetting sarah marshall for me, found it funnier
Reply 4030
Watched Final Destination 5 (god knows why) and it obviously turned out as funny as ever.

And Captain America, man that film was a disappointment.
Reply 4031
Original post by Colonel.
Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Twice the film.

Original post by lukejoshjedi
Forgetting sarah marshall for me, found it funnier

Yeah I watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall, was hilarious, Kristen Bell looked :sexface:

I was caught off guard though with the full frontal nudity from Jason Segal. Was not expecting that. Especially considering it was a 15 and I've been watching him in HIMYM for years, it felt a bit :lolwut:
Went to see Super 8 the other day, really enjoyed it. The best performance in my opinion was from Elle Fanning, definitely a very promising young actress. Has anyone been to see One Day yet? Heard Anne Hathaway being interviewed about it on R4 yesterday, sounds like it could be decent.
Reply 4033
School Of Rock will never not be an awesome film. :awesome:
Reply 4034
Original post by Lewroll
Anyone see the Portal short film? Its got a few million views in less than 2 days!

I saw that shortfilm yesterday, such a good directing there!

I don't usually watch shortfilms but here u are one of the few I liked:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/filmnetwork/films/p005dsmr
American History X has much more powerful and resonant prison scenes than Shawshank Redemption. And a much stronger ending.
Reply 4036
Original post by Phalanges
American History X has much more powerful and resonant prison scenes than Shawshank Redemption. And a much stronger ending.

Still annoyed about Movie Madness? :colondollar:
He makes a good point.
Of course it would though.... American History X deals with more realistic and gritty problems and themes like the widespread racism, the main character actually committing the murder and inmate brutality, the depiction of which is far more brutal than Shawshank. It also leaves a more powerful message (redemption followed by the same problem rearing it's ugly head as opposed to a new beginning in Shawshank) after it spends the course of the film following Derek's gradual change in the way he thought and perceived things.

I wonder, and there have been rumours about this, what the film would have felt like if at the end...

Spoiler

I want to believe in the redemption but...
Reply 4039
Original post by aja89
School Of Rock will never not be an awesome film. :awesome:

My 2nd favourite Joan Cusack film after Toy Story 3. I have watched it so many times and it's still brilliant. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending