The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Was it ever established why the little girl was so concerned that the president should look behind him? In hindsight, she ought to have had bigger things to worry about...
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
4) Some made up poison which disables regeneration and kills within 30 minutes.

Presumably you refer to this as opposed to all those real life poisons that disable regeneration :wink:
Original post by LastLordofTime
32 minutes :P

I suppose poison is an exception to actual bodily harm? Something he can't just flush out by regenerating because it's inside his body (and would therefore count under number 1, perhaps).

Doctor 3 died by radiation so heavy he couldnt regenerate so another timelord had to kick start the regen.

Thinking about it in that way I wonder if this was a nod back to that except for some reason he didnt just regenerate and needed to be given someone elses.
:lol:

It's possible. But the Clerics were also wearing it, both the good (Father Octavian) and bad ones. Which is more puzzling. And there's not been a sighting of the symbol anywhere near the Silence. :holmes:

The Omega II is probably associated with the Clerics. They were probably manipulated by The Silence/Kovarian in to doing their bidding - seems like the most logical answer.
Reply 6344
One mor question: River says she was became a toddle last time she regenerated, this pretty much confirms the girl in New York was her. What is the relevance?
Thank **** she regenerated.

And this episode is actually quite funny.
Reply 6346
Why doesn't River get poisoned from the lipstick?
Original post by fwed1
Why doesn't River get poisoned from the lipstick?

She presumably has some kind of film over her lips so it doesn't affect her (the same reason the Hallucinogenic Lipstick doesn't affect her). It's the same thing in other programmes and films.
Reply 6348
I liked Matt Smith in top hot and morning coat. Seemed like something his Doctor would do in such a ridiculous situation :mmm:

The episode was incredibly telegraphed though which I was slightly dissapointed about :sad:
Reply 6349
Ok, question that I've been thinking about. River dies in season 4 doesn't she? That is the point at which she knows everything about the doctor and he knows nothing about her. This doctor hasn't even made the faintest nod towards her death. Surely some kind of reference would be made?

Or am I being stupid?
Reply 6350
Spoilers I guess. He accidentally told her she was a professor and that is the closest he has come.

True. I just thought Moffat would had made some kind of nod towards the event by now; be it the Doctor just looking off glumly into the distance for a bit. There's all this stuff about him dying on a certain date, but nothing about her. Oh well..:rolleyes:

I did like River's comment about 'making her self look younger' the older she got :tongue:
Original post by JXamie
Ok, question that I've been thinking about. River dies in season 4 doesn't she? That is the point at which she knows everything about the doctor and he knows nothing about her. This doctor hasn't even made the faintest nod towards her death. Surely some kind of reference would be made?

Or am I being stupid?

Well there was a small reference in The Impossible Astronaut when River said 'The days coming when I'll look into that man's eyes, and he won't have the faintest idea of who I am. And I think it's going to kill me.' She probably didn't meant it was literally going to kill her, just kill her emotionally, but was a reference nonetheless.

"River you know my name. You whispered my name in my ear. There's only one reason I would ever tell anyone my name. There's only one time I could..."

Personally I think the Doctor whispered his name to River when he was dying in Let's Kill Hitler. But what is the one reason he would say his name? When he loves someone, or when he is about to die? And I'm also wondering what the 'one time he could' tell someone.

Arghh so much sadder with every episode of River :nooo:

Any one have any idea(speculation) about what this 'Question' might be hinting at?
Also Rory's getting much more bad ass,I approve. 'Shut up Hitler!':^_^:
Oh and I didn't like Mels...Not sure why :s-smilie:
Reply 6353
Original post by Phobia27
Well there was a small reference in The Impossible Astronaut when River said 'The days coming when I'll look into that man's eyes, and he won't have the faintest idea of who I am. And I think it's going to kill me.' She probably didn't meant it was literally going to kill her, just kill her emotionally, but was a reference nonetheless.

"River you know my name. You whispered my name in my ear. There's only one reason I would ever tell anyone my name. There's only one time I could..."

Personally I think the Doctor whispered his name to River when he was dying in Let's Kill Hitler. But what is the one reason he would say his name? When he loves someone, or when he is about to die? And I'm also wondering what the 'one time he could' tell someone.

Arghh so much sadder with every episode of River :nooo:

Oh my.. that scene has so much more meaning now. :frown:

The way she says that he knew the entire time whilst they were together. Yet he doesn't really indicate this.

Ma theory of the day:

The Doctor's name is...

Spoiler

Discuss.
Reply 6354
Oh God this thread is so confusing! I was wondering how fish fingers and custard made a difference at all? I wasn't too big on the 'Mels' character just because she's never been mentioned before ever and she's suddenly Amy and Rory's lifetime best friend? River Song is so sexy though :biggrin:
Original post by JXamie
Oh my.. that scene has so much more meaning now. :frown:

The way she says that he knew the entire time whilst they were together. Yet he doesn't really indicate this.

Ma theory of the day:

The Doctor's name is...

Spoiler

Discuss.

Ohhh that's a interesting theory. Sort of makes sense as well. But I don't think it will ever be revealed, I mean the name of the show is Doctor Who! His actual name is always meant to be a mystery. And should Moffat have the power to name such an iconic figure?

But it's clear that this series Moffat has been making several references to his name by having several characters say 'Doctor Who?' and I think that oldest question in the universe they mentioned in the episode today might be 'What is the Doctor's name?'

Argh this tribute is even sadder :frown:

Reply 6356
Original post by Phobia27
Ohhh that's a interesting theory. Sort of makes sense as well. But I don't think it will ever be revealed, I mean the name of the show is Doctor Who! His actual name is always meant to be a mystery. And should Moffat have the power to name such an iconic figure?

But it's clear that this series Moffat has been making several references to his name by having several characters say 'Doctor Who?' and I think that oldest question in the universe they mentioned in the episode today might be 'What is the Doctor's name?'

Argh this tribute is even sadder :frown:

Stop with yo sad videos :frown: Dammit i'll get emotional.

Nah I agree, I don't think they'll ever reveal his name to be honest. And I don't want them to either.

Spoiler

Although, the cackling high voice in the TARDIS when it blew up is still very different to the hoarse voices of the Silence creatures.

It's not so much that. It's that, if we accept the Vampire thingies, ran from the effect (Silence falling prophecy) then this spelt the end for that race. If it was the end for that race, then it must the end for a lot of races - including the Silence. So whatever they do to stop the Silence falling should benefit other races and that makes them sort of good. Makes them out to be protectors trying to ensure something bad doesn't happen - further verified by the fact that it's a religious order which has come together with Kovarian involved as well in some fashion. There's been an awful lot of religion going on with the Clerics and Headless Monks...

But that's if we're going on the assumption the Silence falling is a bad thing for the, well, Silence. But then the plot would feel very much recycled from series 5 where there was special organisation to stop the Doctor (in this case, asking the Question?) doing something or ending the universe or making something happen. Furthermore, the way he dealt with the Silence in Day of the Moon sort of lessens the impact of The Question - provided we believe it is bad for them. Being killed so fast by the Doctor's plan should have been equally bad for them. It seems whatever it is is greater than their own survival.

Curiously, a few things about the Silence is that they are parasites, have been on Earth for hundreds of years, have their own ships which are like TARDISes, have some form of technology which they used on Amy's wedding to control the TARDIS and ultimately cause it to explode.

So whatever this Silence Will Fall thing is, if we accept the opposite and take it to be some evil plan, it has to be worse than the universe blowing up? :K:

The Question stuff seems misleading. Obviously asking a question won't make something mad happen. Perhaps it depends entirely on who you ask the old, hidden in plain sight, Question to. Like a figure like the Astronaut who is right bang in the middle of a fixed point in time and space. :holmes:

Anyway, I don't think it's possible to speculate more given what we've been given. Essentially nothing. :awesome:

You seem to be thinking of the Silence as the alien species we believed were called the Silence we met in TIA. Those aren't the silence it's just a species that's part of the organisation. And it's really irking me that you keep calling these aliens "the Silence" It's like calling Scotland "the European Union"

The Doctor didn't cause the genocide of the Silence, just that species.

The REAL Silence (THE ORGANISATION THAT THEY ARE.) stopping Silence Falling wouldn't make them good if they did it for purely selfish reasons :tongue:
I think you might be mistaken. The aliens are called the Silence. They have been explicitly referred to as the Silence. Yes, they're a religious cult and movement not a species as a whole like humanity, but they are called the Silence. There is no other person or object referred to as the Silence.

But until Kovarian refers to herself as The Silence, which she hasn't, there is no evidence that any other species is in an alliance with them so the purposes of discussion, The Silence is apt.

Silence is also a pretty apt name for a race which happens to have no mouth (but can speak). Must be a coincidence eh..

They've been explicitly referred to as the Silence because up until this point they're the only beings we knew of.

"I'm dying. Who wants me dead?"
"The Silence"

River is the one responsible for the Doctor dying in this episode, due to brainwashing by Madame Kovarian, who you'd say is in partnership with the aliens, but I'd respond by pointing out Demon's Run, you contradicted yourself by referring to the Headless Monks as members of the Silence in an earlier post - what about everyone else there following them and Kovarian? All the people there, an entire army, with the sole purpose of killing the Doctor.

River's purpose is to put the end to a long war, the war against the Doctor. If all of this doesn't state that there are beings in the organisation other than the mouthless aliens, I don't know what will!
Yet Moffat or anybody never, ever, not even once refers to Kovairan, or the Clerics or the Monks as the Silence. They were the Clerics and the Headless Monks with their own religion. Why not mention the Doctor fighting the Silence in A Good Man Goes to War if he goes there to fight the entire organisation. Simple logic no?

The way I see it, if the Silence isn't a race born the way they are, you become them or people are converted to them (like the Monks). You become those suit wearing aliens aka The Silence.

I'd also point out the statement made several times that The Silence were based off the Scream painting amongst other things. A bit of a silly statement to make if this turns out to be an entire organisation of species.

What's even more strange is why a writer like Moffat would not bother to give his new alien race, equal to the Weeping Angels and Daleks, a proper name and just bundle them under the heading of an organisation...

Link? I can't find this. The only reason I can think for this is a typo or mispost.

Here. You don't explicitly state it, but it's heavily implied!

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. But you can bet your socks that as soon as another species are referred to in some way as "the Silence" I'll be quoting this argument. :colonhash:

Latest

Trending

Trending