The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9320
To your interview, you MUST take your proof of identification AND your right to work - failure to take either might result in you being declined an interview slot. Proof of right to work might be a pay slip or a P45/P60, a national insurance card/letter - it must be an official document and it must contain your NI number.

I had my four week review as a team leader on Friday, and it went well - was told that I was doing really well and that they were happy with my progress.

I have another question for you Sains-berries, how many of you have come into Sainsbury's into a management position, having never worked for the company or a supermarket before?

I think that the amount of information you have to learn as a team leader can be overwhelming anyway, but when you're new to the company...WHOA! But really enjoying it :biggrin:
Reply 9321
removed
(edited 12 years ago)
You had the balls to say exactly what we all think. Big respect for you.
Reply 9323

Original post by JemMills
No problem :smile: Saturday can be busy on meat and fish and it is always going to be busy on the deli. I do 7-4 Saturday (on my lunch break now :P) and it's actually not too bad of a shift and does go fast.

Your Tuesday shift will be closing down on either counter and in all honesty, in my store, it is so dead doing a weekday evening shift. Weekdays are not really busy on counters but in general deli is the busiest of the two.

Original post by hasm
may i ask what deli is?

delhi?
So I did my first shift on the deli and I hated it, because I was the new guy i was expected to do all of the jobs that the other members of staff couldn't be bothered to do and the job is nothing like i expected it to be i was really looking foward to starting a new job and now im dissapointed and not looking foward to my next shift :frown:, is there anyway of getting transferred to a different department? i would rather work on the shopfloor replenishing items or working on checkouts as I already want to quit after 1 8-hour shift and have already started looking for a new job as I can't see myself putting up with this for another 12 weeks at least :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Foulish

You might not get a final written over it, do you have any previous warnings? A colleague in our stores told 3 customers in 1 week to eff off and was given a written warning for conduct. If it gets taken to hearing just be honest with them and tell them your circumstances and hopefully you'll get an understanding manager or it might be worth talking to your HR manager when they're next in about what happened. If she doesn't follow it up then its unlikely they'll do anything about it.
Reply 9326
Original post by zigzak789
So I did my first shift on the deli and I hated it, because I was the new guy i was expected to do all of the jobs that the other members of staff couldn't be bothered to do and the job is nothing like i expected it to be i was really looking foward to starting a new job and now im dissapointed and not looking foward to my next shift :frown:, is there anyway of getting transferred to a different department? i would rather work on the shopfloor replenishing items or working on checkouts as I already want to quit after 1 8-hour shift and have already started looking for a new job as I can't see myself putting up with this for another 12 weeks at least :frown:

Ohh :frown: It's a shame that you didn't enjoy your first shift. I thought my first shift sucked too because it was my birthday :P

I doubt very much they will let you transfer to be honest. Try and stick with it a bit more, I felt like that at times during my probation too, but I'm glad I kept with it. Hopefully things will get better? Honestly, I think working on counters is ok :smile:

On another note, a staff member has been hassling me and one shift this week, without going into details, did something totally inappropriate. I don't know whether or not to report him for it because he gets on well with everyone and it would make things awkward... :frown: My partner and my family keep nagging at me to report him but I just feel like it's more hassle than it's worth. Does anyone have any experience in situations like this?
Hi all

I've recently been offered a job as a Team Leader for a new store opening in November. I have my induction on 5th , 6th and 7th of Sept and was wondering if anyone who has worked in new stores know how long before the store opens i'll be likely to start?

Also , if anyone has any information , experiences of a Team Leader role i'd be really greatful to hear them! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9328
can i ask what delhi is?
Original post by JemMills
Ohh :frown: It's a shame that you didn't enjoy your first shift. I thought my first shift sucked too because it was my birthday :P

I doubt very much they will let you transfer to be honest. Try and stick with it a bit more, I felt like that at times during my probation too, but I'm glad I kept with it. Hopefully things will get better? Honestly, I think working on counters is ok :smile:

On another note, a staff member has been hassling me and one shift this week, without going into details, did something totally inappropriate. I don't know whether or not to report him for it because he gets on well with everyone and it would make things awkward... :frown: My partner and my family keep nagging at me to report him but I just feel like it's more hassle than it's worth. Does anyone have any experience in situations like this?

The people there are great i got on with everyone fine it's just the job itself i have no interest in it and dont think i can ever get the slightest bit interested in cheese and meats! when i first applied like many others i though counters where checkouts.

Im thinking of quitting soon, i have another job lined up which is closer and looks much more enjoyable would it be best to quit now or after i get my first paycheck because the owe me 16 hours so far (induction and one shift)

I've weighed up my options and the job that is closer has many more pros than working for sainsburys does yes its 10p less an hour but i think i would enjoy it more as counters are really not my thing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hasm
can i ask what delhi is?

Do you mean Deli? It is delicatessen, its part of the counter that sells the sometimes pricey cold meats that you can get them to slice for you, it also sells exotic cheeses.
Reply 9331
Original post by Ruby-Soho
Hi all

I've recently been offered a job as a Team Leader for a new store opening in November. I have my induction on 5th , 6th and 7th of Sept and was wondering if anyone who has worked in new stores know how long before the store opens i'll be likely to start?

Also , if anyone has any information , experiences of a Team Leader role i'd be really greatful to hear them! :smile:

I'm seven weeks into my team leader role with the company [previous to this I've been a supervisor for Poundland, and a bar manager] - its a really cool job. There's only two or three things that you can't do as a team leader that your deputy manager can do [speaking from a convenience perspective here], so your role is pretty darn important, as is every colleague's.

You get sent on lots of courses - ranging from team development, to using RSS, managing your department [if you'll be a supermarket team leader], first aid, personal license holder, & so many more - which only help.

If you're definitely based at this new store, you'll be given the opening date sooner rather than later.
Reply 9332
Its a sad day when the Regional support team knows where the stuff is in your store better than you do :P lol
Reply 9333
Original post by funkyfish08
You might not get a final written over it, do you have any previous warnings? A colleague in our stores told 3 customers in 1 week to eff off and was given a written warning for conduct. If it gets taken to hearing just be honest with them and tell them your circumstances and hopefully you'll get an understanding manager or it might be worth talking to your HR manager when they're next in about what happened. If she doesn't follow it up then its unlikely they'll do anything about it.

I have a written warning for mishandling cash - which basically translates to lack of dual control - which is now long expired.
Anyone know if we get bank holiday premium for working tomorrow?
Original post by Debbie2709
Anyone know if we get bank holiday premium for working tomorrow?

Aye, we do. The premium is £2.53/h for Band 2 and £2.80/h for Band 3.
There is a vacancy on the site for the store i work out which is 12 hours a week (the same as what i do) i've just started but do you think it would be possible to get transferred to that position from counters as i'd much rather work on checkouts and haven't been trained in counters yet so not like i've had anytime wasted on me!

If its possible who should i ask about it?

thanks zak
Hello, I've got a dual store contract set up for me as I'm going of to uni. And set up a meeting with the new store. I've said to my department manager and team leaders what my last contracted day will be. Is that enough? Or do I have to tell HR? As they already know about the dual store thing.
Reply 9338
can a 16 year-old work on the counter at sainsburys? i will be 17 soon though about 3weeks. Iv got an interview but i dont know if at my age i can work on the counter.
Original post by lostinlost2
Hello, I've got a dual store contract set up for me as I'm going of to uni. And set up a meeting with the new store. I've said to my department manager and team leaders what my last contracted day will be. Is that enough? Or do I have to tell HR? As they already know about the dual store thing.

tell hr as well :smile: