The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billieerin23
Hehe that made me smile. Your professors would be very proud :-) I actually think the dictionary's a very good investment, my French dictionary cost me a fortune last year (it's so heavy I can barely carry it upstairs) but it's been so useful with the Tocqueville. Thank you! I do love History. But I guess we must all love our subjects to have gotten in? You certainly seem to love yours, you go above and beyond the call of Modern Languages in a truly Oxford way!

Haha, you're right! Though it would be a better investment if it would actually be relevant to my studies. The only time it might be useful is for a possible module in 4th year - Old Norse. I'd love to do it but there's no guarantee it'll still be offered then. Still, it makes me happy!

Actually, I don't love my subject (German) because it doesn't really interest or inspire me. It's a long story but the short version is: I actually wanted to study Scandinavian Studies, but as that's only offered in UCL and Edinburgh and I had some gaps left, I applied to Oxford for German as a filler basically. Then, I ironically only got into Oxford which broke my heart since my passion is with the modern vikings, the old vikings, their languages and their lands. Broke my heart is putting it lightly; it changed my life. I took an unplanned gap year after results and went to Iceland. That was a year ago. What a bloody weird year! I actually recommend you watch the advert in my sig. It's hilarious, and very Icelandic.

So I'm looking forward to University, about making friends and joining societies, but I have many reservations about my course. However, I don't want to be ungrateful so I try to be positive. >< That is why I hang on to the Old Norse Module in Year 4!

What's your story? Have you known for a long time that you wanted to study History?

Original post by LtCommanderData
Haha, yep! I wonder if that means we get a free year or something?

:biggrin: I wish! It's just kind of frustrating since I have to go to the bank at the latest next Wednesday to make my account a student account...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by barefootfiona
Haha, you're right! Though it would be a better investment if it would actually be relevant to my studies. The only time it might be useful is for a possible module in 4th year - Old Norse. I'd love to do it but there's no guarantee it'll still be offered then. Still, it makes me happy!

Actually, I don't love my subject (German) because it doesn't really interest or inspire me. It's a long story but the short version is: I actually wanted to study Scandinavian Studies, but as that's only offered in UCL and Edinburgh and I had some gaps left, I applied to Oxford for German as a filler basically. Then, I ironically only got into Oxford which broke my heart since my passion is with the modern vikings, the old vikings, their languages and their lands. Broke my heart is putting it lightly; it changed my life. I took an unplanned gap year after results and went to Iceland. That was a year ago. What a bloody weird year! I actually recommend you watch the advert in my sig. It's hilarious, and very Icelandic.

So I'm looking forward to University, about making friends and joining societies, but I have many reservations about my course. However, I don't want to be ungrateful so I try to be positive. >< That is why I hang on to the Old Norse Module in Year 4!

What's your story? Have you known for a long time that you wanted to study History?

:biggrin: I wish! It's just kind of frustrating since I have to go to the bank at the latest next Wednesday to make my account a student account...

History has always been my favourite subject, but when I was younger I thought it was important to do something vocational like Law. It was about two years ago that I realised that the most important thing was just to do something I loved because that would lead me to a career I'd truly enjoy and that was when I decided to do a History degree. I recognise that I could now face a lifetime of unemployment but at least I'll be happy (and hopefully the kudos of Oxford will guarantee me a job at leats somewhere).

You never know with German, I always say things happen for a reason so maybe you'll end up really loving it.
History has always been my favourite subject, but when I was younger I thought it was important to do something vocational like Law. It was about two years ago that I realised that the most important thing was just to do something I loved because that would lead me to a career I'd truly enjoy and that was when I decided to do a History degree. I recognise that I could now face a lifetime of unemployment but at least I'll be happy (and hopefully the kudos of Oxford will guarantee me a job at leats somewhere).

You never know with German, I always say things happen for a reason so maybe you'll end up really loving it.

I love that you just did what you wanted. So many people don't have the guts, or don't realise that guts is what it often takes, not foolishness.

I agree that it happened for a reason - yet I think the reason was not that I would end up liking German. It was the push I needed to take a gap year, and though the gap year was in some ways an enormous failure, I learned so much about how to be strong and objective and also just to let the stress go sometimes. I also learnt that I don't have to live in Scotland to consider myself Scottish - I felt previously as though the validity of my identity hinged on my acceptance by Edinburgh or St Andrews. However, the one thing which hasn't changed is my feeling toward studying German. I know I'll find things to enjoy, but it'll be like doing A-Levels. I have to do it so I'll find something to enjoy in it.That has forced me to follow my dreams independently - I can't study Icelandic, so I buy an Icelandic dictionary and do it myself; I can't study Norwegian, but I can devour Ibsen plays... It's slower and harder, but very rewarding, and in a way it's nice that my dream isn't mixed with my obligations.

I'm not that bothered about not liking German - it might even give me more focus because I won't be so easily distracted. And in truth, it ain't nothing but a thing. It's better if I don't think about it so much because then I just become maudlin and start implementing pop psychology. XD
(edited 12 years ago)

Probably best just to set up the account now, and then sort out any details when you know them?
Original post by mcgovernjon
So we'll both have to speak in our broad East Midlands accents. :wink: I got on a bus to Burton by accident about a month ago; I wanted to go from the Derby Royal hospital to Derby City Centre and I got on the bus going in the wrong direction! The driver was really nice and didn't charge me extra. :smile:

haha unlucky. I didn't think I actually had much of an accent until my interviews at Oxford when I was a bit suprised to be told I had a 'Northern' accent. Then I realised "A do 'av a bit of an accent an' a talk a bit like this withowt any h's or I's" :P
I love that you just did what you wanted. So many people don't have the guts, or don't realise that guts is what it often takes, not foolishness.

I agree that it happened for a reason - yet I think the reason was not that I would end up liking German. It was the push I needed to take a gap year, and though the gap year was in some ways an enormous failure, I learned so much about how to be strong and objective and also just to let the stress go sometimes. I also learnt that I don't have to live in Scotland to consider myself Scottish - I felt previously as though the validity of my identity hinged on my acceptance by Edinburgh or St Andrews. However, the one thing which hasn't changed is my feeling toward studying German. I know I'll find things to enjoy, but it'll be like doing A-Levels. I have to do it so I'll find something to enjoy in it.That has forced me to follow my dreams independently - I can't study Icelandic, so I buy an Icelandic dictionary and do it myself; I can't study Norwegian, but I can devour Ibsen plays... It's slower and harder, but very rewarding, and in a way it's nice that my dream isn't mixed with my obligations.

I'm not that bothered about not liking German - it might even give me more focus because I won't be so easily distracted. And in truth, it ain't nothing but a thing. It's better if I don't think about it so much because then I just become maudlin and start implementing pop psychology. XD

That's a really smart way of looking at it; I guess if you were doing Icelandic as part of your degree it could come to seem like work to you when the essays tarted to pile on but this way it will always be safe with your dreams :-) I really admire you for taking a gap year, I didn't have the guts to do that.
That's a really smart way of looking at it; I guess if you were doing Icelandic as part of your degree it could come to seem like work to you when the essays tarted to pile on but this way it will always be safe with your dreams :-) I really admire you for taking a gap year, I didn't have the guts to do that.

Tee hee.... well, aren't we a gutsy pair? :wink:
Original post by iloveitwhenitrains
Hey Im going to St Anne's too - but for biochemistry :smile:
I've already mentioned this in a previous post, but have you got anything from them yet? Most people from other colleges on here seem to have heard from theirs :frown:

Yay finally found someone! Not heard anything but this is massively useful: http://www.st-annes.ox.ac.uk/study/freshers-2011/new-undergraduates.html

Also there's a group on facebook. Do you have any reading or anything? Also do you know anything about accomodation cause I've heard nothing at all! x
Reply 3148
Original post by Sophies4int
Yay finally found someone! Not heard anything but this is massively useful: http://www.st-annes.ox.ac.uk/study/freshers-2011/new-undergraduates.html

Also there's a group on facebook. Do you have any reading or anything? Also do you know anything about accomodation cause I've heard nothing at all! x

I'm St Anne's too! Haven't heard anything either, but that link is good!

Thanks for the link!
No I haven't been sent anything at all- but I emailed them 3 days ago and they said they'd email induction stuff 'shortly'...
I wonder what sort of reading they'd expect us to do. But the only thing I so have is a maths workbook that I was sent in July. I have no idea about accommodation either! I feel so clueless!!
Hi, Haven't been on this thread in a while (still recovering from the shock of getting my grades) so just wondering if i missed anyone applying to St Anne's or anyone doing biological sciences or ideally a combo of the two. Also im sure this has already been mentioned but what date is everyone going up? Thanks!

Not going to St Anne's but I am doing biological sciences :smile:
Original post by iloveitwhenitrains
Thanks for the link!
No I haven't been sent anything at all- but I emailed them 3 days ago and they said they'd email induction stuff 'shortly'...
I wonder what sort of reading they'd expect us to do. But the only thing I so have is a maths workbook that I was sent in July. I have no idea about accommodation either! I feel so clueless!!

Ok glad it's not just me! maybe they just do things different to other colleges. You know what day you're going up on yet or you think that will all be in the mystery email induction things? Oh well at least there seems to be some promise that they're sending stuff, If i hadn't found that link i'd have had no idea and not done any of the forms!

I've done no prep other than the usual sciency reading i would anyway but i dont seem to have any kind of reading list anywhere so maybe we're just lucky!

Let me know if you hear any more!
Original post by Comet Andromeda
Not going to St Anne's but I am doing biological sciences :smile:

Hi! So looking forward to it but feel like i've done nothing to prepare. you?!
Original post by Jamieq
I'm St Anne's too! Haven't heard anything either, but that link is good!

Hi! What you studying? Ok looks like there's a few of us in the dark. Apparently stuff is being sent soon though...
Ok glad it's not just me! maybe they just do things different to other colleges. You know what day you're going up on yet or you think that will all be in the mystery email induction things? Oh well at least there seems to be some promise that they're sending stuff, If i hadn't found that link i'd have had no idea and not done any of the forms!

I've done no prep other than the usual sciency reading i would anyway but i dont seem to have any kind of reading list anywhere so maybe we're just lucky!

Let me know if you hear any more!

Will do :smile:
I started the forms except I'm not really sure what address to post them to so I think I might wait for the promised email!

You don't know how relieved I am to hear that there's quite a few if us still waiting. And there's me thinking it was just me:rolleyes:
Hi! So looking forward to it but feel like i've done nothing to prepare. you?!

I feel so unprepared it is unbelievable! Did you get a reading list, I did but I haven't even got half way through it... :s-smilie:
I am looking forward it though!
I have a question for current students, I don't drink, is this going to be a problem at Oxford? Is there a drinking culture amongst Freshers?
I have a question for current students, I don't drink, is this going to be a problem at Oxford? Is there a drinking culture amongst Freshers?

You and me both. Im a little concerned about this too, but much more about the fact that I have to explain to people that I am a millitant atheist studying Theology. Umm?

Original post by Fang_RedDragon
You and me both. Im a little concerned about this too, but much more about the fact that I have to explain to people that I am a millitant atheist studying Theology. Umm?

Neither do I! I'm sure it'll be fine, but worst case scenario us three can hang out

EDIT: not that hanging out with you two makes it a bad scenario! You know what I meant :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)

How about you explain that to me now in order to get some practise?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending