The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billieerin23
How about TV/books?

I read a lot! But don't watch much TV. For both, though, my taste can pretty much be summed up as "science fiction" :tongue: (as you may expect!)

Original post by Fallen

If I remember correctly you are doing Maths and CS at one of the famous colleges? Not Brasenose, but similar?

I am one of the incoming new eX-men! [I'm hoping my new way of saying I'm going to Exeter college catches on...]

(That's as in X-men, rather than former men!)
Original post by LtCommanderData
I read a lot! But don't watch much TV. For both, though, my taste can pretty much be summed up as "science fiction" :tongue: (as you may expect!)

I am one of the incoming new eX-men! [I'm hoping my new way of saying I'm going to Exeter college catches on...]

This line sounds like something from the Big Bang Theory/other slightly nerdy show/movie with fast-paced, snappy dialogue containing many pop culture references probably starring Michael Cera or Jesse Eisenberg.

I liked it a lot XD

I'm a big fan of Buffy and some X-Men stuff I also love True Blood but don't know if that's really sci-fi . . . You?
Reply 3183
Yep I'm Christian well done for remembering/stalking me :P and I agree it's nice to talk about things that don't get people riled up like religion . . . How about TV/books?

An uncultured swine such as myself does very little of either.
I suppose the only books I read are technical manuals or textbooks, with the occasional, factual WW2 (a period I am interested in) book thrown in. Exciting...

TV is the complete opposite. I generally watch amusing rubbish such as Peep Show, That Mitchell And Webb Look (I like David Mitchell and Robert Webb a little bit :tongue: ), The Inbetweeners, etc.
Oh and documentaries like "How's it made" and "How do they do it".

Sorry, very boring!
Original post by Fallen
An uncultured swine such as myself does very little of either.
I suppose the only books I read are technical manuals or textbooks, with the occasional, factual WW2 (a period I am interested in) book thrown in. Exciting...

TV is the complete opposite. I generally watch amusing rubbish such as Peep Show, That Mitchell And Webb Look (I like David Mitchell and Robert Webb a little bit :tongue: ), The Inbetweeners, etc.
Oh and documentaries like "How's it made" and "How do they do it".

Sorry, very boring!

Well I thought the Inbetweeners Movie was brilliant! Haven't laughed that much in a long time I went on Results Day so finally felt ready to let off some steam and relax knowing I'd made the grades.
Reply 3185

That makes me a Ke-man!

Oh... it doesn't work.
:cry:
Original post by Fallen
That makes me a Ke-man!

Oh... it doesn't work.

As a Hughsie then I guess I'm a Hu-man . . .
Reply 3187
Well I thought the Inbetweeners Movie was brilliant! Haven't laughed that much in a long time I went on Results Day so finally felt ready to let off some steam and relax knowing I'd made the grades.

Ah I haven't seen it yet!
I was away when it was released (and on results day), and it slipped my mind!

Arrangements must be made!
Original post by Fallen
Ah I haven't seen it yet!
I was away when it was released (and on results day), and it slipped my mind!

Arrangements must be made!

They must it was really funny! The dancing in particular was the best I've seen in a while (note: by best I mean funniest, if any boyfriend of mine tried to dance like that they'd be in dancing lessons pronto, not that I'm any good at dancing . . . oh dear see what I mean about babbling?)
Original post by The Anti-Hero
This line sounds like something from the Big Bang Theory/other slightly nerdy show/movie with fast-paced, snappy dialogue containing many pop culture references probably starring Michael Cera or Jesse Eisenberg.

I liked it a lot XD

Haha, maybe watching BBT obsessively is affecting my brain in ways I hadn't expected!

I'm a big fan of Buffy and some X-Men stuff I also love True Blood but don't know if that's really sci-fi . . . You?

I like Star Trek (all of them, but in order of preference: TNG, TOS, Voyager, Enterprise, DS9) and Battlestar Galactica, and things like that. I also like sit-coms like Big Bang Theory (as mentioned above), and most other sit coms, really. I'm a sucker for escapism!

In terms of films, I like sci fi films such as the Star Trek films (TOS films > TNG films, just about, in a reverse of my series preferences), Blade Runner (who doesn't like Blade Runner!?), and pretty much every superhero film (I watch a lot of superhero films, and have very low standards for them! I even enjoyed Daredevil! :eek:). I also like romantic comedies!

As a Hughsie then I guess I'm a Hu-man . . .

WIN!

Original post by Fallen
That makes me a Ke-man!

Oh... it doesn't work.

http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keman

EDIT: I think I use a lot of exclamation marks as a direct result of reading too much Dinosaur Comics
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha, maybe watching BBT obsessively is affecting my brain in ways I hadn't expected!

I like Star Trek (all of them, but in order of preference: TNG, TOS, Voyager, Enterprise, DS9) and Battlestar Galactica, and things like that. I also like sit-coms like Big Bang Theory (as mentioned above), and most other sit coms, really. I'm a sucker for escapism!

In terms of films, I like sci fi films such as the Star Trek films (TOS films > TNG films, just about, in a reverse of my series preferences), Blade Runner (who doesn't like Blade Runner!?), and pretty much every superhero film (I watch a lot of superhero films, and have very low standards for them! I even enjoyed Daredevil! :eek:). I also like romantic comedies!

WIN!

http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keman

The Big Bang Theory is hilarious and don't worry I loved Daredevil too (but Elektra was a bit of a disappointment) but rom coms are more my thing :-) and thank you!
Reply 3191
They must it was really funny! The dancing in particular was the best I've seen in a while (note: by best I mean funniest, if any boyfriend of mine tried to dance like that they'd be in dancing lessons pronto, not that I'm any good at dancing . . . oh dear see what I mean about babbling?)

You weren't babbling, don't worry about it.

I am still not sure if being the Turkish word for a Violin 'works'... :tongue:
Original post by Fallen
You weren't babbling, don't worry about it.

I am still not sure if being the Turkish word for a Violin 'works'... :tongue:

Don't worry, we can't all be...

SUPERHEROES!

Don't worry, we can't all be...

SUPERHEROES!

Ok that's pretty cool . . . *tries to make something equally cool for St Hugh's and fails* no wonder they call us the Hufflepuff House (incidentally I'm also in Hufflepuff on Pottermore should I be offended? At least I'm not evil . . .)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Comet Andromeda
I feel so unprepared it is unbelievable! Did you get a reading list, I did but I haven't even got half way through it... :s-smilie:
I am looking forward it though!

Well now this has made me panic! I got no reading list. Where did you get yours from?!
Original post by Fallen

Original post by Fallen
Sorry, to barge in, but Hello! I am a future fresher as well. :smile:

P.s. Militant Atheism ftw.

Helllooooo!
And atheism and... (from what I saw in the results thread) biscuits!

See, we're a ready made social group! And we don't need alcohol to ease the social awkwardness... we have the internet!

+1 rep.

Who needs booze when you have biscuits and nerdyness? FTW.
Reply 3197
Original post by Fang_RedDragon
Helllooooo!

Hey :smile:

So which college and subject, if you don't mind me asking?
I know what you mean I've been at the same all girls school for the last seven years so seem to have lost the ability to interact with people I don't know/boys especially boys I don't know.

Now thats funny, I was also in an all girls school from Y7 through to Sixth Form, and I found it had exactly the opposite effect. I find it really easy to talk to boys in the normal, people/friends sense, because they take you at face value. You run out of things to talk about, talk about x. And you talk about x. With girls, know everything you say about x or y is being evaluated and judged, stored away as ammunition later on.

Not a hater, just wary. Girls take in waaaay too much information, and we can use it to be hostile in such random ways.Like, what you wear can radically affect how they see you. We had two own-clothes-days at school a few months apart, and I wore the same black T-Shirt with big gold roses on both occasions, you know, cos it was a nice top. People remembered, and commented on it. Somebody even told me I was a gothic tramp, which made me LOL. I mean, I <3 fashion, if you wear a fabby pair of shoes and I notice, I will remember your epic shoes as being epic. I won't bother to remember if I didn't like your hair.

:stupido2: <shrug>
Original post by Fallen

Original post by Fallen
Hey :smile:

So which college and subject, if you don't mind me asking?

Keble (moved from St. Johns, so have never been inside Keble, am dead excited)
Philosophy and Theology

Which I guess makes me a Ke-girl, rather than an X-man or a Hu-man...Hmm, not sure I like this, sounds a bit like kegel.Yeah, not good.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending