The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billieerin23
It is worth it, the site's pretty cool but I think in the end the people that get in later will get a better version there are some major problems (e.g. no music, we can't name out pet owls!) I know they said they're allocating spots randomly (i.e. it's not linked to the day you caught the quill on) but my sister and I caught the quill within a few minutes of each other on the first day and we got on at the same time so I don't think it can be completely random unless that's a big coincidence. Also, loving the "he-Girl" thing! I'm guess Hertford? What subject?

Ah, well I suppose that's why they needed beta-testers then! Maybe it's in random batches or something? I didn't answer until the fifth day as I was on holiday, so if there is any correlation, I probably won't be in for a while. It's just annoying as everywhere I go on the internet, people are discussing their houses and wands! Hertford indeed, and English.
Original post by shinobi93
Ah, well I suppose that's why they needed beta-testers then! Maybe it's in random batches or something? I didn't answer until the fifth day as I was on holiday, so if there is any correlation, I probably won't be in for a while. It's just annoying as everywhere I go on the internet, people are discussing their houses and wands! Hertford indeed, and English.

Cool, I'm doing History at St Hugh's :-) don't worry I'm sure they'll let you on soon message me your username when they do and we can duel (I'm pretty rubbish at duelling rest assured that you'll probably be the winner)

Original post by dbmag9
Yeah, Minerva's like Athena (although I read something a while back about the Greek/Roman equivalences not really being equivalences, so who knows). This excuse thing sounds like a plan.

TV? There's a TV room next to the JCR for Merton, and I barely watch TV anyway. I'll probably wait until I go up to go bike-hunting.

Ahhh I watch far too much daytime (and middle of the night time) TV so I wanted one a lot and the bike-hunting thing si a good idea but make sure you get in there early, something tells me the good bikes will go quickly in Oxford during Freshers week . . . I have a basket bell and light but no bike so far. Hurrah. I'm off to bed now, we're hiking tomorrow so sweet dreams all.
can i just ask... What day is everyone actually moving in? As in bringing in their stuff. I was told 3rd of october, which is a monday, but I heard people are arriving during the weekend! Don't want to be the only one :s-smilie:
I keep thinking that I am taking too much stuff! But how much is too much?? :biggrin:
Reply 3223
Original post by Comet Andromeda
can i just ask... What day is everyone actually moving in? As in bringing in their stuff. I was told 3rd of october, which is a monday, but I heard people are arriving during the weekend! Don't want to be the only one :s-smilie:
I keep thinking that I am taking too much stuff! But how much is too much?? :biggrin:

Different colleges ask for different times, do you really think you would randomly get a different arrival time to everyone else in Oxford? I'll be going up on the Monday too.
Original post by dbmag9
£430?! What's on that list, gold bookshelves and caged fairies? Not having made my list yet, the only costy things I can imagine on it are bedsheets and some crockery. Also a minifridge, I guess, or possibly a minifreezer.

Well, it is a day dream list. Or an indecision list. For example, I've got five rugs on there, three lamps, four sets of glasses... :biggrin:

Like I said, the list I'm going to go with will be about £40 to 50. That's one set of bedsheets, a laundry basket, a desk lamp, a set of glasses, a tray and a rug. Add to that kettle/toaster/mini-fridge and you're at about £100, at least, considering how surprisingly expensive minifridges are... It's stressing me quite a lot actually since I haven't managed to find a job despite having been looking since January and I'm literally living off of my savings which is scary since they're almost gone. :frown:
Original post by dbmag9
I'm slowly realising quite how much I have to buy in the four or so days between coming back from Berlin and going up...

Did your Fresher's pack give you any advice? There was a nice list of what one needs, what one wants and what one certainly doesn't need to bring. I'm going to stick to that pretty closely really and bring along the odd novelty - like my collection of tea pots. If the glass one breaks in transit....
Reply 3226
Original post by barefootfiona
Well, it is a day dream list. Or an indecision list. For example, I've got five rugs on there, three lamps, four sets of glasses... :biggrin:

Like I said, the list I'm going to go with will be about £40 to 50. That's one set of bedsheets, a laundry basket, a desk lamp, a set of glasses, a tray and a rug. Add to that kettle/toaster/mini-fridge and you're at about £100, at least, considering how surprisingly expensive minifridges are... It's stressing me quite a lot actually since I haven't managed to find a job despite having been looking since January and I'm literally living off of my savings which is scary since they're almost gone. :frown:

Ah, fair enough. Buying a rug hadn't even occured to me. I shall see what this list turns out like; at least I live close enough to home that I can get family to bring anything I desperately need if worst comes to worst.

I had a job before I came to Berlin, and have enough savings to buy what I need, but the scary thing is that I now probably have more money than I will at any point in the next four years. :s-smilie:

Original post by deFossard
Did your Fresher's pack give you any advice? There was a nice list of what one needs, what one wants and what one certainly doesn't need to bring. I'm going to stick to that pretty closely really and bring along the odd novelty - like my collection of tea pots. If the glass one breaks in transit....

Yeah, it has a good list, it's more a matter of sorting out exactly what I need to buy from it/from the TSR list.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dbmag9
Ah, fair enough. Buying a rug hadn't even occured to me. I shall see what this list turns out like; at least I live close enough to home that I can get family to bring anything I desperately need if worst comes to worst.

I had a job before I came to Berlin, and have enough savings to buy what I need, but the scary thing is that I now probably have more money than I will at any point in the next four years. :s-smilie:

Yeah, it has a good list, it's more a matter of sorting out exactly what I need to buy from it/from the TSR list.

A rug only occurred to me today, but I'm now thinking it's a good way to make my room feel cozy and homey. Also, since there's a chance I'll have stone floors... I'll want a carpet on that. Good point about living close to home - I do to, but I hadn't even thought about what it's like coming from really far away! Hmmm, something to be grateful for, at least :smile:

In case you're wondering, this is my list:

duvet covers/fitted sheets/cushions/throw

plants and plant pots

rug

laundry basket(s)

cutlery, plates, mugs, bowl, glasses

mini-fridge, kettle, toaster, tray

lamp(s)

table mirror and jewellery/makeup storage (you probably won't need that, though!)

photo frames and book ends

boxes for storage of clothes, shoes, paper, toiletries, office stuff (IKEA sells brilliant boxes)

towels, flip-flops, bathrobe

Anything to add?
Original post by dbmag9
Different colleges ask for different times, do you really think you would randomly get a different arrival time to everyone else in Oxford? I'll be going up on the Monday too.

No, of course not :biggrin: some people from my own college are arriving during the weekend but I think they might be international students so that probably explains it! Oh, well that's reassuring I suppose... what college are you going to?
A rug only occurred to me today, but I'm now thinking it's a good way to make my room feel cozy and homey. Also, since there's a chance I'll have stone floors... I'll want a carpet on that. Good point about living close to home - I do to, but I hadn't even thought about what it's like coming from really far away! Hmmm, something to be grateful for, at least :smile:

In case you're wondering, this is my list:

duvet covers/fitted sheets/cushions/throw

plants and plant pots

rug

laundry basket(s)

cutlery, plates, mugs, bowl, glasses

mini-fridge, kettle, toaster, tray

lamp(s)

table mirror and jewellery/makeup storage (you probably won't need that, though!)

photo frames and book ends

boxes for storage of clothes, shoes, paper, toiletries, office stuff (IKEA sells brilliant boxes)

towels, flip-flops, bathrobe

Anything to add?

Have you checked that your college allows the bolded? Somerville explicitly disallows bringing them in the Electrical Regulations, so I'd check carefully...it would be a pain to buy them and then have to leave them at home.

edit: Nevermind I had a quick nosey in the Red Book for Exeter... seems your accommodation rules are far less restrictive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
Have you checked that your college allows the bolded? Somerville explicitly disallows bringing them in the Electrical Regulations, so I'd check carefully...it would be a pain to buy them and then have to leave them at home.

Yes, they're listed in the tenancy agreement as allowed :smile: I just have to get written permission from the Steward, and as it seems like everyone in my college has them I guess it's just a formality. I'm more concerned about the floor lamp, and possibly bringing a drying stand since I am very cautious of tumble driers, as they say no furniture and I'm not sure if those count as furniture. Also, they forbid inflatable mattresses without written permission, which I find odd!

Aw man, only now I read your edit :P
(edited 12 years ago)
a drying stand since I am very cautious of tumble driers

I was just planning to hang things off existing furniture (back of chairs and the like)
Before people start buying mini-fridges I'd check with your college what's provided - most colleges will provide you with a fridge! Also you might want to be careful on bringing up rugs because some colleges don't like you bringing up your own furniture. NB also don't bring candles of any kind :P
Reply 3233
Original post by Comet Andromeda
No, of course not :biggrin: some people from my own college are arriving during the weekend but I think they might be international students so that probably explains it! Oh, well that's reassuring I suppose... what college are you going to?

Yeah, internationals tend to arrive earlier so they can do international things with each other before we turn up. I'm going to Merton.

Original post by leahbroad
Before people start buying mini-fridges I'd check with your college what's provided - most colleges will provide you with a fridge! Also you might want to be careful on bringing up rugs because some colleges don't like you bringing up your own furniture. NB also don't bring candles of any kind :P

Really? I've never got the impression that anywhere provides fridges, unless you just meant in a communal kitchen.
Original post by dbmag9
Really? I've never got the impression that anywhere provides fridges, unless you just meant in a communal kitchen.

No quite a few places do. I had one, and all my friends at Merton, Magdalen, Hertford, Keble and Hilda's had one... As I say you might want to check - usually it'll say somewhere in one of the freshers' packs.
Original post by leahbroad

My college seems to have one fridge for the whole college so it's kind of a must - also, it's recommended in the Blue Book and even the Tenancy Agreement! Regarding rugs, I will check first whether they are allowed as I'm not a fan of wasted money, and candles are clearly though sadly off the list. Honestly, I'd be a bit surprised if the college had allowed candles!

Are you a current student/Do you have any other advice? I really appreciate it!
Original post by dbmag9
Yeah, internationals tend to arrive earlier so they can do international things with each other before we turn up. I'm going to Merton.

There was one in my room at Merton for interviews
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
I, on the other hand, usually can't think of a single thing to say.

(not even something to conclude this post in a friendly manner, it seems) :frown:

Ne t'inquiete pas, you'll learn on the job :biggrin: If you find it hard to talk to people it'll be hard for the first... hour or two. Then you'll snap right in like the final piece of lego on a Hogwarts Castle Set.
I have not a small chicken of an idea about what I am going to bring. Mum wants to buy the entirety of John Lewis, but then had a screamy cry-y fit when I told her I must take my computer. She then refused to take me or pick me up at either end of term, so currently it isn't a problem, as I am simply not going.

Does anybody else have borderline insane parents?
My college seems to have one fridge for the whole college so it's kind of a must - also, it's recommended in the Blue Book and even the Tenancy Agreement! Regarding rugs, I will check first whether they are allowed as I'm not a fan of wasted money, and candles are clearly though sadly off the list. Honestly, I'd be a bit surprised if the college had allowed candles!

Are you a current student/Do you have any other advice? I really appreciate it!

Hi,

I am indeed a current student! If you have any questions or whatever feel free to quote-reply/PM me, I'll be happy to answer as best I can :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending