The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leahbroad
Hi,

I am indeed a current student! If you have any questions or whatever feel free to quote-reply/PM me, I'll be happy to answer as best I can :smile:

Oh, that's brilliant! Well, I don't know if you can answer this seeing as you're not at Exeter (I assumed this?), but how strict are they about putting stuff on walls? My tenancy agreement says specifically no sticky tape, sellotape or blue tack...

Also, is it better to buy or hire stuff for Matriculation?

Original post by Fang_RedDragon
I have not a small chicken of an idea about what I am going to bring. Mum wants to buy the entirety of John Lewis, but then had a screamy cry-y fit when I told her I must take my computer. She then refused to take me or pick me up at either end of term, so currently it isn't a problem, as I am simply not going.

Does anybody else have borderline insane parents?

Oh no, poor you! How far away do you live? Because it is possible to go by train, you just have to be... er, sparing and patient with your bags. A friend of mine went to York from Reading by train and managed alright. She also got her Mum to send her clothes in the mail since they're lighter than books.

Why would she not want you to take your computer? O.o

I have three different 'what to bring lists' - one condensed version of the TSR one, one recommended list from my college, and one personally constructed one. If you'd like a copy, PM your e-mail address.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by barefootfiona
Oh, that's brilliant! Well, I don't know if you can answer this seeing as you're not at Exeter (I assumed this?), but how strict are they about putting stuff on walls? My tenancy agreement says specifically no sticky tape, sellotape or blue tack...

No I'm not at Exeter but all colleges are pretty strict about stuff on the walls because it will need to be repainted if it leaves marks... You'll probably be given a board to put stuff on though so posters, photos etc can go on there or on the fridge where it won't leave marks :smile: Re matriculation, better to buy - you will need the gown all the time for formal halls, matriculation, exams, and you will need the shirt and skirt etc for exams so definitely buy your own.
Original post by barefootfiona

Also, is it better to buy or hire stuff for Matriculation?

Oh no, poor you! How far away do you live? Because it is possible to go by train, you just have to be... er, sparing and patient with your bags. A friend of mine went to York from Reading by train and managed alright. She also got her Mum to send her clothes in the mail since they're lighter than books.

Why would she not want you to take your computer? O.o

I have three different 'what to bring lists' - one condensed version of the TSR one, one recommended list from my college, and one personally constructed one. If you'd like a copy, PM your e-mail address.

Oxford to Forest of Dean. On the wrong side of the rail network for it to be very easy. Oxford seems to be on one of the radiating spokes from London, so in utter stupidity I have to go to Birmingham 1hr to come back an 1h and 20 to Oxford. Did it in the snow around interviews time. Was...interesting.

Poor Dad, seems he will have to fly out to help me move my stuff. Oh what a pain my mother is!
Oxford to Forest of Dean. On the wrong side of the rail network for it to be very easy. Oxford seems to be on one of the radiating spokes from London, so in utter stupidity I have to go to Birmingham 1hr to come back an 1h and 20 to Oxford. Did it in the snow around interviews time. Was...interesting.

Poor Dad, seems he will have to fly out to help me move my stuff. Oh what a pain my mother is!

I'm sending you buckets of pity. You could try to bring as little as possible, and buy whatever you were going to buy here. Oxford may be little but it has a lot of shops.
A bit random, but is anyone buying/thinking of buying a college scarf?
Reply 3245
Original post by shinobi93
A bit random, but is anyone buying/thinking of buying a college scarf?

Yeah I really want to buy the Catz college scarf (I kind of want it more than a hoody even! - I'm a scarf person :smile: ) Just debating about whether to get it now or in Oxford...
I have not a small chicken of an idea about what I am going to bring. Mum wants to buy the entirety of John Lewis, but then had a screamy cry-y fit when I told her I must take my computer. She then refused to take me or pick me up at either end of term, so currently it isn't a problem, as I am simply not going.

Does anybody else have borderline insane parents?

Couldn't read and run here as I know how it is - one of my best friends had a terrible time with her parents for uni.
See if you can get a quote from a man in a van/long-distance taxi company - they are sometimes surprisingly reasonable; or you could try a postal service, there was one recommended on here which I think was www.unibaggage.com.
Original post by Festina lente
Couldn't read and run here as I know how it is - one of my best friends had a terrible time with her parents for uni.
See if you can get a quote from a man in a van/long-distance taxi company - they are sometimes surprisingly reasonable; or you could try a postal service, there was one recommended on here which I think was www.unibaggage.com.

That postage company is surprisingly cheap! Also, I reckon a van is a good suggestion, it's bound to be cheaper than someone flying over.
Auw thanks guy!
Im outta rep but I send you my web-hugs instead.Its not a big issue...yet, shes just a little bit unreasonable. Im an only child and Mum, well, she has a bad back and some confidence issues and can be a wee bit...ummm...controlling? Is that fair?

Ill probs go crazy during Freshers Week with the whole "leave the house - whenever you wish!!"crazy hedonistic freedom. You might need to bail me outta jail or something!

I reckon I can sqaure things for the first term by moving Dad's flights about. Everybody is sulking in the house right now but I think we are good at least for now. <fingerscrossed> I need a rich boyfriend to fly me and my stuff about in a private jet! :smile:
Original post by Festina lente

I <3 you so much right now. That service is awesomely cheap. This could be such a lifesaver! They might not disown me now!! :smile::biggrin:
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
I, on the other hand, usually can't think of a single thing to say.

(not even something to conclude this post in a friendly manner, it seems) :frown:

Well then we'd make a great pair I could babble and you could stay silent and we'd end up with a reasonable amount of talking between us! Don't worry :-) I bet you'll find it really easy to talk to people when you actually get to Oxford.
Original post by billieerin23
Well then we'd make a great pair I could babble and you could stay silent and we'd end up with a reasonable amount of talking between us!

Haha, I've got a friendship just like this - we're both a bit 'socially awkward', but she talks and talks when talking to someone she doesn't know well whereas I struggle to think of anything to say. We made friends really quickly as a result!

EDIT: Also, does anyone know about swimming facilities? That is, is there a university swimming pool we can use, and how much does it cost?

My arms are feeling a bit sore, as if I'd been to the gym or something recently, and I couldn't think why it could be. Then I remembered this window I closed yesterday which was really stiff and difficult to shut (honestly, it took ages). Yeah... I need to exercise more. I don't want to do a team sport or commit to anything that would require going along to anything regular (weekly training or whatever), but I enjoy swimming and I reckon it's something I can do when I want (within the limits of pool opening times), alone or with friends.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LtCommanderData
Haha, I've got a friendship just like this - we're both a bit 'socially awkward', but she talks and talks when talking to someone she doesn't know well whereas I struggle to think of anything to say. We made friends really quickly as a result!

EDIT: Also, does anyone know about swimming facilities? That is, is there a university swimming pool we can use, and how much does it cost?

My arms are feeling a bit sore, as if I'd been to the gym or something recently, and I couldn't think why it could be. Then I remembered this window I closed yesterday which was really stiff and difficult to shut (honestly, it took ages). Yeah... I need to exercise more. I don't want to do a team sport or commit to anything that would require going along to anything regular (weekly training or whatever), but I enjoy swimming and I reckon it's something I can do when I want (within the limits of pool opening times), alone or with friends.

I don't know about swimming but I got membership to the St Hugh's gym (for a very reaosnable £59 a year I think) for the same reason! I like exercise but I don't like being tied down (or mocked for my lack of coordination . . .) so I can see where you're comming from. Just found this if it helps: http://www.sport.ox.ac.uk/oxford-university-sports-facilities/sports-facilities/swimming-pool
Original post by billieerin23
I don't know about swimming but I got membership to the St Hugh's gym (for a very reaosnable £59 a year I think) for the same reason! I like exercise but I don't like being tied down (or mocked for my lack of coordination . . .) so I can see where you're comming from. Just found this if it helps: http://www.sport.ox.ac.uk/oxford-university-sports-facilities/sports-facilities/swimming-pool

Ah, that's great, thanks for that link! £155 for three years... Might motivate me to actually use it if I've paid that.
Original post by -mai-
Yeah I really want to buy the Catz college scarf (I kind of want it more than a hoody even! - I'm a scarf person :smile: ) Just debating about whether to get it now or in Oxford...

I have one!! Bewarned, the lady in the shop is a little intense. She gives you this talk about how the scarves are 6ft long exactly because the Cambridge ones are 5ft 8 and Oxford had to be better.:rolleyes:
Reply 3255
Original post by leahbroad
No quite a few places do. I had one, and all my friends at Hilda's had one...

That's bull. There are only about 50 rooms in Hilda's which have a fridge and they go to finalist scholars, tutor's requests and a few very lucky finalist.

There are communal fridges in every kitchen (I think).

Many people bring their own fridges though so maybe that's why it seemed like they all did. Hilda's is quite lax on electrical equipment.

EDIT: just realised this sounds quite harsh, it's not meant to, it's purely informative.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mf2004
That's bull. There are only about 50 rooms in Hilda's which have a fridge and they go to finalist scholars, tutor's requests and a few very lucky finalist.

There are communal fridges in every kitchen (I think).

Many people bring their own fridges though so maybe that's why it seemed like they all did. Hilda's is quite lax on electrical equipment.

Havent read the full argument, but just to let you know that all rooms at Wadham come with a small fridge.
Reply 3257
Original post by zigzog7
Havent read the full argument, but just to let you know that all rooms at Wadham come with a small fridge.

oops just reread my post it's not meant to be that harsh sounding. Was just pointing out the op was misinformed about fridges in rooms.
Original post by frequent_flyer
Fang I have a crazy mum too who wants to shop for me loads but hates it if I simply ask for the money. But my crazy mum usually settles down after a bit. She is going to really miss me. I'm hoping they will both bring a car each when I get there.

Erm..thats not quite what I meant.
Anyone else bought a college hoodie??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending