The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is it just me or does the whole 'when the question is asked silence will fall' thing sound a bit like the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
Is there something in the character list on the website? Why is Van Gogh there? :holmes:
Original post by sleekchic
Cultbox has some posts about Doctor Who 609 Night Terrors;

Hints;
- Something that happened to Amy and Rory in ‘Let's Kill Hitler’ happens to them again. Shrinked to fit in the doll`s house?
- A flaw in the Sonic Screwdriver appears again. I`m guessing it doesn`t do wood, there are in a doll`s house

Teasers;
- "Please save me from the monsters." The little boy Geogre
- "When I was your age - ooh, about 1,000 years ago - I loved a bedtime story." The Doctor
- "You see these eyes, they're old eyes." The Doctor

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/spoilers/teasers/1698-doctor-who-night-terrors-hints
http://www.cultbox.co.uk/spoilers/teasers/1697-doctor-who-night-terrors-teasers

Does anyone know why the sonic screwdriver doesn`t do wood?
I don't know if anyone's noticed this in this thread yet, but my dad just pointed it out to me, I haven't seen it myself. Apparently the people in the man-robot saw the TARDIS before anyone had exited it and said "We think we've found her". There was also at some point a screen that described the TARDIS as missing, and it was clarified that "her" is River Song. Since the Doctor in the Impossible Astronaut appeared to have arrived by car, this suggests that before "killing" him (I don't believe it was really her) she ran off with the TARDIS for some reason.
Original post by Bobifier
I don't know if anyone's noticed this in this thread yet, but my dad just pointed it out to me, I haven't seen it myself. Apparently the people in the man-robot saw the TARDIS before anyone had exited it and said "We think we've found her". There was also at some point a screen that described the TARDIS as missing, and it was clarified that "her" is River Song. Since the Doctor in the Impossible Astronaut appeared to have arrived by car, this suggests that before "killing" him (I don't believe it was really her) she ran off with the TARDIS for some reason.

It said the TARDIS was stolen; which it was, by the Doctor.

The TARDIS is stolen though - The Doctor stole it from Gallifrey.

And I thought they were all out of the TARDIS at the point where they said they had found her? They go in to surveillance mode when everybody is in the room.

That`s a good point, we never saw the future doctors TARDIS. Although the data says stolen and the doctor kinda stole the TARDIS, so it could be just refereing to that. But maybe the stenson wearing doctor in the trailers going "one last trip" doesn`t take the TARDIS to lake silencio. If so, where is the TARDIS? Has river stolen it or been given it by the doctor? Or has someone else got it? The silence?
Original post by elitepower
That`s a good point, we never saw the future doctors TARDIS. Although the data says stolen and the doctor kinda stole the TARDIS, so it could be just refereing to that. But maybe the stenson wearing doctor in the trailers going "one last trip" doesn`t take the TARDIS to lake silencio. If so, where is the TARDIS? Has river stolen it or been given it by the doctor? Or has someone else got it? The silence?

good point there but was it not the TARDIS that wanted to see the universe, as the line from Idris in The Doctor's Wife goes .... "Then you stole me. And I stole you." followed by Doctor saying "I borrowed you."
Idris: 'Borrowing' implies you eventually planned to return the thing that was taken. What makes you think I would ever give you back?

I am feeling some closure of some kind heading our way as we view the next episodes which have been given there names (see this weeks Radio Times) and feature 2 freak out (IMHO) episodes, a tug at the heart strings episode and a wedding of River Song! But i am glad Saturday night television just got better with the much welcomed return of the Doctor to the screens.

As i pointed out elsewhere the following:
these remaining episodes of series 6 unfold we will learn more about everything - Amy and the Pregnancy/Baby, Melody/River, Doctor and Rory all accumulating in that which was asked in this episode with the following dialogue "Silence will fall when the question is asked" "What is the question" "Unknown" although i have to say my immediate thought process was "Who is the Doctor" as this is asked time and time again!

Also why River/Melody doesn't like weddings? (who does to be fair!) The top hat and tail outfit that the doctor wears is more so worn in a particular time period which means that we'll be shown that at some point and that it has some significance.
River's "I'm River Song, check your records" to the Dalek in The Big Bang makes so much sense now.

:awesome:
'Doctor Who' returns with 6.2m for 'Let's Kill Hitler' episode

Doctor Who achieved decent ratings last night as it returned for its six-part autumn run, early viewing figures suggest.

'Let's Kill Hitler', Matt Smith's "favourite episode to date", achieved an average of 6.23m (28.7%) at 7.15pm.

Doctor Who Confidential then grabbed 468k (2%) for BBC Three between 8pm and 8.45pm.

Saturday's instalment was more popular than June's mid-season finale 'A Good Man Goes To War, which mustered 5.5m at the earlier time of 6.40pm.

The BBC was widely criticised earlier this year for showing episodes during the 6pm hour, after audience figures indicated that the sci-fi drama was in decline.

However, showrunner Steven Moffat argued that the family show's high BBC iPlayer audience makes up for the lower overnight ratings.

Currently 'Let's Kill Hitler' tops iPlayer's 'Most Popular' list, while BBC Three will air catch-ups every Friday evening.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a337560/doctor-who-returns-with-62m-for-lets-kill-hitler-episode.html
Original post by ellie-wellie
Another ???? about toddler Mels in New York; she regenerated in the alley way in the 1960's, right? How come she's about 5 in Amelia Pond's time?!

Or am I remembering it wrong?

She was picked up again perhaps......?

If she was trained to kill the Doctor and brainwashed into doing it then one would assume that it continued after she got out of the suit and regenerated. The whole brainwashing thing also helps to explain why she answers in class that 'the Doctor didn't stop it' etc.

One question I would wonder then is, if Mels went to Amy's house did Amy go to M<els house and who exactly was there? Madame Kovarian? The Silents? :holmes:
Reply 6391
Did anyone read the Mirrors article on Doctor Who? I can understand the criticism of River Song as it does feel like she has overtaken the show. And her acting really is quite poor and repetitive :/
Original post by SirMasterKey
She was picked up again perhaps......?

If she was trained to kill the Doctor and brainwashed into doing it then one would assume that it continued after she got out of the suit and regenerated. The whole brainwashing thing also helps to explain why she answers in class that 'the Doctor didn't stop it' etc.

One question I would wonder then is, if Mels went to Amy's house did Amy go to M<els house and who exactly was there? Madame Kovarian? The Silents? :holmes:

I was wondering the same thing. Amelia would never have met Mels parents, or even seen them. Bizarre for a 5 year old to seemingly have no family!
Original post by Mess.
Did anyone read the Mirrors article on Doctor Who? I can understand the criticism of River Song as it does feel like she has overtaken the show. And her acting really is quite poor and repetitive :/

I'm guessing you mean this one. http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/columnists/jim-shelley/2011/08/29/doctor-who-s-plots-are-getting-lost-in-space-115875-23379683/

His arguments are basically 1) Doctor who is now confusing and he misses the days when he didn't have to think so much which quite frankly is bull****. The whole concept of time travel and time paradoxes can be confusing, there's no doubt about that but when handled correctly, it delivers spectacular tv and storywriting which Saturday's episode evidently did. It's not convulted for a Saturday night and I'm not entirely sure why people keep perpetrating this idea that Saturday night TV has to consist of car crash TV which is mind numbingly dull and only requires people to use a single brain cell to understand the plot. Doctor who is not mindless TV. It requires the audience to pay attention, engage their brain and actually speculate about the plot/series arc and I don't see why the show is to blame for people's inability to follow the plot after a second or third viewing of the episode.

2.) Soap opera - It's quite obvious that it is not a soap opera so there's no point in responding to this.

3.) Alex Kingston's acting - Alex Kingston isn't labouring under the idea that she is the sexiest thing on earth, she's simply playing the character of River Song as she was intended to be played ie sexy, funny, wild and flirty. Her acting style is not panto-like and I defy anyone to watch the scene below and tell me she is not great actress. Some of the scenes in LKH was a bit ott but we've seen that to be a side effect of regeneration a la Smith's regeneration (the scene in Amelia's kitchen and the line about still cooking) and Tennant's regeneration.

Original post by ellie-wellie
I was wondering the same thing. Amelia would never have met Mels parents, or even seen them. Bizarre for a 5 year old to seemingly have no family!

It's pretty similar to Amy also not having parents/Aunt Sharon because they were swallowed by the crack.
(edited 12 years ago)
Doctor Who has always been quite kitsch, with wobbly sets, poor costumes and often cringeworthy storylines. Arguing that Doctor Who has gone panto is to say it was originally faultless Shakespeare to be taken completely seriously. Fans (especially sci-fi fans) persistently choose to ignore the kitsch-ness to remove all irony from their adoration of the show.... until they decide they don't like it anymore because it's too different (sci-fi fans hate change, even though they're constantly asking for it - it's the Star Wars effect) and then they choose to pick up on those criticisms which were previously the elephants in the room.

The convoluted plots aren't too bad. They're staged in such a way that if you don't get a reference you can easily let it wash past and just enjoy the episode for what it is. If someone wants to analyse every single scene and line to try and find some plot hole they can rant about, that's up to them, but I'm sure 99% of viewers have missed at least a few references without much distress. Much better to give people too much and let people decide what they care to understand than patronise with flashback scenes to remind people what is being referred to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sleekchic

that scene is so amazing :nooo:
Reply 6396
Original post by animalnitrate

Yes! This is exactly why I dislike Amy.

yay! somebody agrees with me :party:
I can't wait for the day where I can watch everything in River order, and get to end on that amazing scene.
If anything, Steven Moffat is destroying Doctor Who.
Can I just break into this thread and say I now own a FEZ I dont think I have ever been so happy!

Latest