The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Foundation Science at UEA - Your experience and feedback please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
From what i've read you do bio, chem, physics / IT, and maths in first semester, and you can drop one that is not relevant in the second semester (so ill drop physics) to go onto pharmacy you have to get 70% / 75% overall and 70 or 75 % in both chem modules.

They're gonna give us handbooks on the induction week thingy anyway that explains it all.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
I'm in an awkward position.
I really want to do pharmacy, there's no other course that i want to do.
So i HAVE to get 75%, but I'm gonna find it so tedious coz i've just repeated my alevels in bio chem and phys and still got the same grades, now it's going to be pretty much the same for yet another year, like groundhog day :[
I've got a B in biology, and D's in chem and physics. I find physics really difficult. I actually failed all my physics modules this year, actually having done better the year before.
So yeah, people keep asking me how my results were...i say not very good...they say 'oh no'...i say but i've still got my place at uni...but it's still not pharmacy :[
They say success is the best revenge. And i want my dad to see me become a pharmacist because he doesn't care about me and thinks i'm a waste of space so i want to prove him wrong....he only 'cared' about me when he thought i was going to be a doctor or something..then when i didnt get into uni last year he just basically turned his back on me :/ so the thought of revenge is what will drive me to get that 75% ! Sorry for the rant.
Reply 82
http://www.uea.ac.uk/sci/teaching/hbooks/Science+with+Foundation+Year+Undergraduate+Student+Handbook+

Hopefully the above link works.

You all take Chemistry, Physics and Biology together. For maths you are divided into 4 groups, depending on your results on a test taken in freshers week. To proceed to some courses, you will need to be in the top group. The handbook will show this.

It is a very enjoyable year.
Reply 83
Original post by Matureb
http://www.uea.ac.uk/sci/teaching/hbooks/Science+with+Foundation+Year+Undergraduate+Student+Handbook+

Hopefully the above link works.

You all take Chemistry, Physics and Biology together. For maths you are divided into 4 groups, depending on your results on a test taken in freshers week. To proceed to some courses, you will need to be in the top group. The handbook will show this.

It is a very enjoyable year.

Didn't realise you needed to be in the top group for maths to go onto some courses, hopefully its only mathematics and stuff like that.

So you had a good experience with it then matureb?
Reply 84
Yes, I really enjoyed the year. Just about to start the final year of Nat Sci.
You will need to be in the top group of maths if you are aiming for Chemical Physics, Business Studies, Climate Sciences, Met & Oceans, Maths and scome Computing courses.
If anyone is interested, I will be selling the FY set books when term starts.
I did the computing science foundation year, but the maths modules are taught with all foundation science students. I can honestly say that it was the best maths teaching I have ever had. The lecturer I had for both maths modules I did was so funny and enthusiastic. And it really makes a difference as I got a D at A Level, but 82% and 85% in my maths modules at UEA, with some of the content in the second maths module being further maths which I would have never previously even considered learning.
Original post by Emma Ramone
think everyone on this foundation, regardless of what course you wanna do afterwards, are all together. so we all do this 1st year of foundation science then go onto different courses afterwards. there aren't separate foundation courses for each subject, it's just one big science foundation course.

Actually the computer science foundation is separate, the two courses intersect at the Mathematics module but Computer Scientists do 3 computing related modules + a study skills module (which is a bit of a yawn fest) as well rather than Physics/Biology/Chemistry.
Reply 87
Original post by JDHarding92
I did the computing science foundation year, but the maths modules are taught with all foundation science students. I can honestly say that it was the best maths teaching I have ever had. The lecturer I had for both maths modules I did was so funny and enthusiastic. And it really makes a difference as I got a D at A Level, but 82% and 85% in my maths modules at UEA, with some of the content in the second maths module being further maths which I would have never previously even considered learning.

Thanks for your input mate.

I haven't done any maths for five years, will I be alright or should I start looking over stuff now? I've actually started getting my friend who did economics to start going over all the basic maths i've forgotten.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jakelee
Thanks for your input mate.

I haven't done any maths for five years, will I be alright or should I start looking over stuff now? I've actually started getting my friend who did economics to start going over all the basic maths i've forgotten.

There are a number of mathematics modules at varying difficulty levels on the foundation course, though to be fair even OB91+OB92 the harder two started off really slow.

Here are the syllabuses from last year to give you an idea of what they cover.
https://www.uea.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.173474!0B9110.pdf
https://www.uea.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.173477!0B9211.pdf
Reply 89
Original post by ExcessNeo
There are a number of mathematics modules at varying difficulty levels on the foundation course, though to be fair even OB91+OB92 the harder two started off really slow.

Here are the syllabuses from last year to give you an idea of what they cover.
https://www.uea.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.173474!0B9110.pdf
https://www.uea.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.173477!0B9211.pdf

Wow, cheers man, where did you find that on the website, would be interesting to look at the other maths ones and also the other subjects.

Unfortunately I can't rep you because I already have done so recently. :frown:
Those were on the school of maths syllabus page, unfortunately I haven't been able to find the other ones as they are under the school of chemistry and their syllabus might be on portal which is only accessible to students enrolled in the module.
Yeah I did OB91 and OB92. You can literally start with any level of maths (I think the first part of the first lecture was literally on adding and subtracting) but it progresses REALLY fast onto some further maths stuff towards the end of OB92. So if you've not done maths for a while you need to do a fair bit of work outside of lectures. But there is so much help provided. As long as you put in the effort, your maths will be of a really good standard when you finish. I got so much out of it.
Reply 92
Original post by JDHarding92
Yeah I did OB91 and OB92. You can literally start with any level of maths (I think the first part of the first lecture was literally on adding and subtracting) but it progresses REALLY fast onto some further maths stuff towards the end of OB92. So if you've not done maths for a while you need to do a fair bit of work outside of lectures. But there is so much help provided. As long as you put in the effort, your maths will be of a really good standard when you finish. I got so much out of it.

Nice one, do you know the mathematics module requirement to follow onto the MPharm course?
i have a B in biology A-level - any way i could not take biology modules but get more help in the chem side of things? or is that not possible? Or alternatively could i get through to pharmacy via hiding my poor maths skills and avoiding modules that have lots of maths in them?

i have a B in biology A-level - any way i could not take biology modules but get more help in the chem side of things? or is that not possible? Or alternatively could i get through to pharmacy via hiding my poor maths skills and avoiding modules that have lots of maths in them?

You realise Pharmacy has dedicated maths modules on the course itself? Hiding any troubles will not help you in the long run, and being good at maths is actually a pretty important thing for a pharmacist!
Original post by GGecko
Nice one, do you know the mathematics module requirement to follow onto the MPharm course?

No, sorry. I'm sure if you drop the appropriate admissions office an email they'd be able to tell you.
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
You realise Pharmacy has dedicated maths modules on the course itself? Hiding any troubles will not help you in the long run, and being good at maths is actually a pretty important thing for a pharmacist!

That's what i thought - which is why i wonder if i'd be able to take MORE maths-y modules and drop some bio seeing as i've already got a decent a-level grade in it? I really wish i'd dropped physics this year and concentrated more on chemistry but they wouldn't let me drop it and i failed all many physics modules :[ So yeh erm basically i'm gonna need more maths help i think - i got a B at gcse but i've always struggled with it and the elements of it in chem and phys let me down.
I was just thinking about the credits/getting a certain % in modules. Was thinking it'd make it harder for me to pass if i chose all ones i'm bad at. Anyway i'm sure they'll explain the modules procedure when there. I'm quite looking forward to a brand new start and hopefully finally getting onto pharmacy :]

I believe in the second semester you are able to drop one of the sciences, though will give one of my friends who did the Science Foundation last year a poke to see if what I am saying is correct.
Reply 98
After Christmas, you have to drop one of the 4 sciences.

A tip: do not take the course too lightly. You will have exams in December. And you can be chucked out if you fail.

If you go to all the problem classes and the lab sessions you will be fine though.

This is assuming that the foundation year has not changed a lot since I did it 3 years ago.
Reply 99
Original post by Matureb
After Christmas, you have to drop one of the 4 sciences.

A tip: do not take the course too lightly. You will have exams in December. And you can be chucked out if you fail.

If you go to all the problem classes and the lab sessions you will be fine though.

This is assuming that the foundation year has not changed a lot since I did it 3 years ago.

Is there anything else you could tell us about how you found the foundation year as I'm gonna be doing it as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending