The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unbiased Opinion

Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Awww. :frown: But it's not your fault if you screwed up, the unis have got to take your granddad into consideration. :frown: How is he?

That's true, there are other options. :smile: Tbh, I don't understand why "aptitude" matters. If you've worked hard enough to get this far, then that's way more important than what your IQ is and it'll probably influence how you do at uni more.

He's OK thank you :smile: on the mend, though I think he will be in hospital for a very long time!! I had a lovely time looking through his notes though :smile:

He's in such a terrible hospital though... it's a complete shambles!!

I have written to UKCAT asking if perhaps they could include a note with my score even if I can't re-take it.

Do you know anywhere that ranks UMS highly (except Oxbridge), as my UMS scores for this high were pretty good and I think it might balance out my UKCAT score....

Thanks for asking :smile: xxx
Original post by Joseppea

Original post by Joseppea
Be careful if you're applying for Oceanography at the same university as one of your medicine ones because (IIRC) they can see both subjects you're applying for, so they might think you're not completely dedicated to medicine.

I'd imagine they'd let you send another PS for oceanography though :smile:

The only place I'd like to do Oceanography is Southampton and it's not one of my medicine options!!

The Nat. Oceanography centre is affiliated with the Uni so career prospects of oceanography grads from Southampton are sooooo much better than anywhere else!! That's why I'd only want to study oceanography there :smile:

Hope you're well! :biggrin:
Does anyone know which universities aside from BSMS only look at UKCAT after the initial interview process? Thanks :smile:
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
Does anyone know which universities aside from BSMS only look at UKCAT after the initial interview process? Thanks :smile:

Check you're messages! Hope it's helpful! Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by manderson

Check you're messages! Hope it's helpful! Good luck :biggrin:

Please can I get a copy of the same info?? :biggrin:
Reply 6865
Anyone know where I can get information about applicants per place for universities? They don't seem to be on the websites unless I've missed them.
Original post by Erotas
Anyone know where I can get information about applicants per place for universities? They don't seem to be on the websites unless I've missed them.

ISC Medical has them on their website for each of the medical schools - but I have no idea how they got ahold of them and I don't know if they are accurate.

Example here: http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/Edinburgh-Medical-School-Undergraduate.aspx
Original post by Erotas

I want to find out also
However, I did go to a medical conference in may and the guy said that queens Belfast has relatively low applicants
Original post by The Polar Dude
I want to find out also
However, I did go to a medical conference in may and the guy said that queens Belfast has relatively low applicants

:s-smilie: I heard the opposite from someone who was applying to Queens. He said that because there is only one good medical school in Northern Ireland it is much more competitive at Queens...
Original post by ChangedMyMind
:s-smilie: I heard the opposite from someone who was applying to Queens. He said that because there is only one good medical school in Northern Ireland it is much more competitive at Queens...

Oooooooo :s-smilie:
Well :dontknow: I'm not applying there so it doesn't bother me
Original post by Loulibelle
Please can I get a copy of the same info?? :biggrin:

Hey, yeah of course. Basically University of Leicester, University of Leeds, University of Keele, Brighton and Sussex Medical School, and University of Aberdeen don't use UKCAT in the same way as other universities.

Leicester score you on your UKCAT score, i.e. if you score over 2500 you'll get 25/30 in their ranking system.

Leeds, Keele, BSMS and Aberdeen use them as tie-breakers after interviews when they have two candidates at exactly the same level. Obviously I would check this information on their respective websites. I've heard Keele and Aberdeen have accepted people with scores as low as 1900! So something to keep in mind!

Liverpool, Bristol, and Birmingham are not part of the UKCAT consortium, all you would need to check there is if you meet their entry requirements.

Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 6871
Original post by ChangedMyMind
ISC Medical has them on their website for each of the medical schools - but I have no idea how they got ahold of them and I don't know if they are accurate.

Example here: http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/Edinburgh-Medical-School-Undergraduate.aspx

Thank you so much! - It at least gives some kind of indication.
Just re-scheduled my UKCAT :/ It was meant to be this Wednesday, but I've realised I'm nowhere near prepared enough.
The timing.. kill me now.
Reply 6873
When do medical university interviews start and when should you start preparing for them?
Reply 6874
Original post by manu01
When do medical university interviews start and when should you start preparing for them?

Start preparing for them now :biggrin:

Different universities start interviewing at different times. Birmingham starts in early October, others in November/December.
Hey, any people wondering how unis use the UKCAT I would suggest this website! Tells you how unis use the UKCAT score, don't know how up-to-date it is, but also can use it for other med school info

http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/UKCAT-exam.aspx :biggrin:
Reply 6876
Hey, any people wondering how unis use the UKCAT I would suggest this website! Tells you how unis use the UKCAT score, don't know how up-to-date it is, but also can use it for other med school info

http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/UKCAT-exam.aspx :biggrin:

Thanks for the link! :smile:

However, the information here seems to be a bit more detailed and up to date. :s-smilie:
Original post by Vulpes
Thanks for the link! :smile:

However, the information here seems to be a bit more detailed and up to date. :s-smilie:

Thank you! I think it is the most up-to-date information! :cool:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT - use this website instead :rolleyes:
Is there any chance i would get into medicine with 3 A's (Maths, Chemistry and I.s.) and 2 B's ( english and biology) Im sitting advanced chemistry, advanced biology and higher modern studies this year.

I know they dont simply just look at your results, so basically with these results and a good ukcat and personal statement etc. what is the liklihood of getting accepted.

N.b. I might get biology appealed form a B to an A ( missed an A by 1 Mark !!!!!!):rolleyes: so i MIGHT get 4 a's and a b.

****Forgot to say these were scottish highers. Just to stop any confusion.****
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 1311grant
Is there any chance i would get into medicine with 3 A's (Maths, Chemistry and I.s.) and 2 B's ( english and biology) Im sitting advanced chemistry, advanced biology and higher modern studies this year.

I know they dont simply just look at your results, so basically with these results and a good ukcat and personal statement etc. what is the liklihood of getting accepted.

N.b. I might get biology appealed form a B to an A ( missed an A by 1 Mark !!!!!!):rolleyes: so i MIGHT get 4 a's and a b.

****Forgot to say these were scottish highers. Just to stop any confusion.****

I would say you've got a good chance, like you said, it's not only the grades they look at it's your ps and reference. So as long as you've had some experience working in a health environment and you can discuss that, you should be fine. Just look at the universities website that your interested in to see what they look for in particular. Hope you get that 4th A! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending