The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lozzyhickers
What do you mean? The person who delivered it set it up for me? That's usually how it goes.

Apparently it'll be delivered and then at some other point someone will come and open it and set it up for me. I'll phone them tomorrow then.

I'm with Microlink so if anyone has had experience with them then could you give me advice?
:sigh: I'm calling my suppliers tomorrow, I've found the laptop I want to upgrade to so I'll tell them and make them send me a quote there and then. If they take forever to send me the quote, I'll just tell them to send me everything else and buy the laptop myself. It's taking far too long to get something that should be simple sorted out. Getting so stressed that I won't get my equipment before the 25th, even though I know... hope... it will be fine. When are we supposed to have training? Because I really want training before I go off to uni...
I need to stop worrying.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Apparently it'll be delivered and then at some other point someone will come and open it and set it up for me. I'll phone them tomorrow then.

I'm with Microlink so if anyone has had experience with them then could you give me advice?

Hmm...I supposen it depends on the company. But that all seems a bit odd to me.

Original post by diamonddust
:sigh: I'm calling my suppliers tomorrow, I've found the laptop I want to upgrade to so I'll tell them and make them send me a quote there and then. If they take forever to send me the quote, I'll just tell them to send me everything else and buy the laptop myself. It's taking far too long to get something that should be simple sorted out. Getting so stressed that I won't get my equipment before the 25th, even though I know... hope... it will be fine. When are we supposed to have training? Because I really want training before I go off to uni...
I need to stop worrying.

You can have the training whenever you want.
Reply 163
I have cancelled my training sessions, I have had one and didn't find it very useful to be honest. I might get the training when I actually need to use the software once I start, knowing my own concentration level, I can learn all I want, but by Oct, it'd all be gone... :-(
Original post by SmallTownGirl

I had Microlink and they can be a bit of a pain. I had my stuff delivered by a stupidly rude courier who left my stuff with my neighbour after giving us three seconds to open the door and saw that she was outside trying to get her disabled son onto the bus and figured that'd be easier for him. On the day of delivery be ready to run at them. I made a complaint to the delivery company and nothing came of it. He was in such a rush he left his trolley in the middle of our road!

Installation happened a few hours later when a really awkward guy came and plugged it all in for me and continued installing things that should have been done before being sent out. Some of my hardware still doesn't work with my macbook pro and there's still no working drivers to make it happen. Every time I want to use my crazy expensive scanner I'll have to boot into Windows which is a complete pain.

Also they'll try to save money wherever they can. They sent me a German keyboard and by the time I realised it was too late to do anything about it! And try adding to your order and they'll charge over the odds. They wanted ÂŁ20 for a remote control that's only ÂŁ15 delivered free from the actual Apple Store.

(I feel better for this rant - in general just keep check on everything and good luck! :colondollar:)
So confused. Just got the following email from my assessor:

I have just seen from an email from yourself to Barry Bennett that you have asked for an upgrade from a desktop to an ultralight laptop and you hope that SFE will reimburse. Please note that SFE will not reimburse this upgrade through the DSA as they would have provided you with the laptop in the first instance if this was the case.

If you have nay queries please get in touch.

I thought you could pay the difference between the price of the original recommendation and the upgrade? And he was supposed to sort out the cost of the delivery! I wasn't asking him about an upgrade. I want to upgrade the desktop to a laptop and I asked my suppliers if they had a laptop I could upgrade to to save me from finding my own one. :sigh:

Sorry.

Edit: Just called my suppliers and they said an upgrade would be fine. They just can't send out my stuff because the price of the delivery still hasn't been added to the quote. I honestly have no idea why my assessor emailed me about the upgrade without sorting the delivery issue out first. I'm so confused. I don't know the price of the laptop I've asked to be upgraded to because they won't tell me until I have the full quote including the delivery cost (ÂŁ60), I've just emailed my assessor and told him about the delivery issue and I'm worried he's going to take another week to respond. I just feel so stressed because I don't have *that* long to go until I start and I don't know how long they'll take to deliver everything.

I'm with Berry Bennetts. They've been really lovely to me on the phone and said that it was the quote that was holding things up. Does anyone know how much the lightweight laptop costs? :sigh: /lastditchattempt
(edited 12 years ago)
Ok, it's all sorted out. I got an email from my assessor and he said he's had to send student finance an amended quote and it's going to take 1-2 weeks for student finance to approve it.
Original post by snoogy
Also they'll try to save money wherever they can. They sent me a German keyboard and by the time I realised it was too late to do anything about it!)

I wouldn't mind having a German keyboard, but that's 'cos I understand the language. But i'm sorry to hear of your toubles, hope it gets better for you!

Original post by diamonddust
Ok, it's all sorted out. I got an email from my assessor and he said he's had to send student finance an amended quote and it's going to take 1-2 weeks for student finance to approve it.

Glad to hear that everything's fixed! Annoying that you have to wait that long, but at least it's happening :smile:
Reply 168
I'm awaiting SFE to approve my application, with the delivery do I have to have it installed or can I just do it all myself?
Reply 169
I have depression and PTSD, i haven't yet applied for DSA even though i requested the form because i wasn't sure they could actually help me...i have also heard that they reject lots of applications with letters from doctors because the letters don't include how the disability may affect his/her study. Help?!
Great. Just great. I sent my new amended letter of entitlement to my suppliers some time last week and they said they got it and were processing it, called them today and they said they couldn't find it, sent it again and they say they're going to process it and sort out adresses. Only issue is, they say it will take 7-10 days to arrive and I'm moving in on Sunday. I've got to get them to deliver it to my uni address now- and I won't know my actual flat number until I move in. I guess I'll survive with my current shoddy laptop for a few days but what I was really counting on was the mini fridge and now I'm having a complete freakout because I don't think I'm going to be able to share a fridge (freaks me the **** out!) and I'm going to have to buy a ridiculous amount of snacks that can be kept in my room but I'm not in the most stable state as it is and I'm just freaking out. Please don't think I'm stupid. :colondollar: I don't know what to do. I'm worried about the DSA people coming to halls, will my flatmates wonder what the hell is going on? I know I'm being an idiot but I'm just panicking right now. :rolleyes: :sad:
Original post by funsize17
I have depression and PTSD, i haven't yet applied for DSA even though i requested the form because i wasn't sure they could actually help me...i have also heard that they reject lots of applications with letters from doctors because the letters don't include how the disability may affect his/her study. Help?!

I don't know if this is still helpful as you posted two weeks ago, but just in case it is..

I have Depression and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (and anorexia, although don't really want anything for that since I don't think it affects my studies) and I wasn't sure whether to apply or not as I wasn't sure they could help or whether I needed the help.

I did decide to apply though mostly because I thought it would be useful to apply now in case I do suddenly find myself struggling, rather than wait til I have a problem and then be stuck for what to do.

Regarding the medical evidence, my doctor's office was a lazy inefficient s***hole and took longer than they said they would to do the 'letter' and when they eventually did it, it turned out it wasn't a letter, just a printout of my medical records which they charged me ÂŁ10 for (ÂŁ10 for pressing Ctrl + P! :mad:), but turned out the DSA people were fine with this.

Regarding whether they can help you, you don't have to know at this stage. When you first apply using the form, they'll just send you a letter saying whether you are or are not eligible. Once you have that, (if you are eligible) you'll book a Needs Assessment where they'll ask you more questions about how it affects your study.

I had my needs assessment this morning and was really **** at answering the questions (just things like 'how do you find concentration?'), and confused about whether to accept the support, but the lady was really nice and suggested applying for the few things that would make life easier like a printer/photocopier thing. I felt really guilty though since I felt like 'but other students would have to buy this for themselves, why should I get it for free', and did ask her whether most people with depression or CFS took similar levels of support, and she said that although obvs it varies with an individual's needs most people did take what they were offered just because it's available and it's helpful.
Reply 172
Original post by ScarletBeads
I don't know if this is still helpful as you posted two weeks ago, but just in case it is..

I have Depression and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (and anorexia, although don't really want anything for that since I don't think it affects my studies) and I wasn't sure whether to apply or not as I wasn't sure they could help or whether I needed the help.

I did decide to apply though mostly because I thought it would be useful to apply now in case I do suddenly find myself struggling, rather than wait til I have a problem and then be stuck for what to do.

Regarding the medical evidence, my doctor's office was a lazy inefficient s***hole and took longer than they said they would to do the 'letter' and when they eventually did it, it turned out it wasn't a letter, just a printout of my medical records which they charged me ÂŁ10 for (ÂŁ10 for pressing Ctrl + P! :mad:), but turned out the DSA people were fine with this.

Regarding whether they can help you, you don't have to know at this stage. When you first apply using the form, they'll just send you a letter saying whether you are or are not eligible. Once you have that, (if you are eligible) you'll book a Needs Assessment where they'll ask you more questions about how it affects your study.

I had my needs assessment this morning and was really **** at answering the questions (just things like 'how do you find concentration?'), and confused about whether to accept the support, but the lady was really nice and suggested applying for the few things that would make life easier like a printer/photocopier thing. I felt really guilty though since I felt like 'but other students would have to buy this for themselves, why should I get it for free', and did ask her whether most people with depression or CFS took similar levels of support, and she said that although obvs it varies with an individual's needs most people did take what they were offered just because it's available and it's helpful.

thank you so much, that was so helpful! i've made an appointment with the disability team at my uni because they give help when applying for DSA :smile:.
Reply 173
Can anyone tell me how long it took for their report to be turned around (from assessment to SFE being given the final draft)? And then how long after getting the report did it take SFE to approve it? Finally how long to get the company to deliver the goods?

I had my needs assessment on 22/08 and I'm still waiting for the damn report. I believe the guidelines say 10 working days is normal, I'm up to 28 working days and counting.... lectures start monday and obviously I cannot get any note taking, voice recorders or any other support arranged in time now.

If this process takes over a month, SFE take 3 weeks and then another ??? weeks to get the kit here, I'm going to have sat my first lot of exams before I get any flipping help.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 174
Like the loans, you longer you leave it the greater the queue becomes.
I applied, was assessed and had all my kit within a month when I applied but I applied in July.
You don't even have to wait for your exam results before you apply.

Latest