The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
11 days until I'm in Norwich, and 17 days until the course starts up again :dance: I am so fed up with summer :sigh:

I start this week only had nearly three weeks off. Can swop holidays if you like i need more time off.
started last week!
Original post by edcourageous
started last week!

Why?

How many weeks is the year subtract vacation time? How many weeks do you get off for Xmas, and Easter and any study weeks?

Otherwise that is an excessively long academic year.
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
11 days until I'm in Norwich, and 17 days until the course starts up again :dance: I am so fed up with summer :sigh:

Ill be back down south and really west in a week, and the course doesn't start for 3 weeks.

But there is no way in hell i'm missing freshers fortnight. :biggrin::cool:
Reply 5304
I start back on friday for a fun filled day of health and safety talks and what not. Although we do get lunch on mdu/mps/wesleyan.
Medicine applications make me a little depressed haha :smile:

It is so hard to get in now, I thought it was hard when I applied (both times), but now its just WOAHH.
Original post by crazylemon
But you can choose not to buy contents insurance (I didn't this year) You agree terms with them.

You cannot choose not to buy into NI. You are forced to buy in whether you like it or not.

You do realise NI is not a dedicated pot of money that goes solely to the NHS? In reality, it's just another method of taxation that all goes into a big pot. You are in essence objecting to taxation, which if you are healthy, you do not use. The NHS model is about pooling risk and resources, but that does to an extent rely on some responsible behaviour. I think it is worth thinking about how to incentivise people to take more interest in their own health - with an aging population, we cannot just let people think - oh the NHS is a magic button that will fix all, there simply isn't the resources.
Original post by Phryx
I start back on friday for a fun filled day of health and safety talks and what not. Although we do get lunch on mdu/mps/wesleyan.

Wesleyan amuse me they wanted over £100 per month from me. I do not understand the point in that and why they keep sending them constantly into lectures it boardering on annoying!!
Reply 5308
Original post by fairy spangles
Wesleyan amuse me they wanted over £100 per month from me. I do not understand the point in that and why they keep sending them constantly into lectures it boardering on annoying!!

They wouldn't even consider me at any cost! (Still had to put up with the same lecture multiple times from them though :rolleyes:)
Original post by billet-doux
Thanks! Does the drawing and colouring in actually help?! I don't mean to sound like a cynic but that kind of thing doesn't usually help me learn :tongue:

Yeah it did help me - think I can remember upper limb anatomy better than almost anything else of years 1-2. Never used an anatomy colouring book myself btw.

King's admin is such a fail. Been sent the emails to select SSC's for Rotation 1 - I'll be in Chichester and only the London SSC's have been put up, useless.
I like the sounds of the SJT (Situational Judgement Test) being proposed for the 2013 FP applications.

It seems like it may be more useful than the white space questions (depending on the quality of the questions of course)

(September sBMJ, Page 4)

What do people think? Any final years taken part in the PRE?
Original post by carcinoma
I like the sounds of the SJT (Situational Judgement Test) being proposed for the 2013 FP applications.

It seems like it may be more useful than the white space questions (depending on the quality of the questions of course)

(September sBMJ, Page 4)

I hate the idea of it. Would you have actually decided on that tick box answer if it was not presented infront of you?

Theres not going to be someone in real life holding up some tick boxes everytime something comes up.

Its about independant thought.....or am i secretly a robot??
Original post by crazylemon
Not allowed to be excused on the pointlessness of it all?

Theres free food! And i have a feeling this lecture wont be the last we see of them.
Reply 5313

(September sBMJ, Page 4)

I took part in one of the pilots, it was alright I guess. Bit peeved that we weren't told how well we'd done as it's difficult to judge without that really!
I hate the idea of it. Would you have actually decided on that tick box answer if it was not presented infront of you?

Theres not going to be someone in real life holding up some tick boxes everytime something comes up.

Its about independant thought.....or am i secretly a robot??

You get to trial it this year anyway.

I personally like the idea of it, presumably because this is essentially the method we are tested on our clinical knowledge at Peninsula.

I can see the benefits of it, the questions will be put together in such a way that without the knowledge you would be unable to answer.
Original post by Hygeia
I took part in one of the pilots, it was alright I guess. Bit peeved that we weren't told how well we'd done as it's difficult to judge without that really!

What were the questions like? Anything like progress testing?

That is a little annoying, i'm assuming that they have yet to decide how results will be assessed and feedback given. I think they are using these trials to develop standardisation and marking.
Reply 5316
What were the questions like? Anything like progress testing?

That is a little annoying, i'm assuming that they have yet to decide how results will be assessed and feedback given. I think they are using these trials to develop standardisation and marking.

They were just along the lines of the examples they give on their website: http://www.isfp.org.uk/SJT/Pages/Example-questions.aspx
nothing particularly knowledge based at all.
But the questions on the application form from my understanding are not to test your clinical knowledge.

Its how you perform as part of a team, time management etc...
How can you learn or revise a certain person characteristic? That and i prefer open questions because i seem to achieve more.
But the questions on the application form from my understanding are not to test your clinical knowledge.

Its how you perform as part of a team, time management etc...
How can you learn or revise a certain person characteristic? That and i prefer open questions because i seem to achieve more.

Being able to bull**** and spend two weeks on the questions will serve people well on open questions. I would say adding a time limit and more limited questions would serve better.

EDIT: Personally I would probably do better on open questions, but if they are striving more towards objectivity then this may be an improvement.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd much prefer to keep the white space questions. Writing utter bull**** has so far got me into medicine and an iBSc, so I was fairly hopeful that I could continue the pattern with job applications :hmpf:

Latest

Trending

Trending