The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Illmatic-
Yes i do indeed, are you also a Nas fan :love:

Although I am a rap fan I have never really listened to his music. In fact I listen to more AZ (the unknown Nas) than Nas himself.
Original post by Tateco
Not sure yet, keeping an open mind. You?

Don't really know. I mean obviously I want something that pays well, but something that I also enjoy. At the end of the day I picked the degree cos I enjoy economics, and I know there are wide range of well-paying jobs that the degree can lead you into. First need to prepare myself for a possible gap yr though lol
Original post by nightmare91
I want to go into banking but not forever. I just think it is quite interesting and will give me excellent exit opportunities. My dream is to work for IMF, World Bank, European Central Bank, Bundesbank etc. But in order to get a job at one of these I will need to do something else first and who knows maybe I'll change my mind in a few years... :smile:

I think it is kind of a myth that they reject students that are Oxbridge "material". Good candidates will always get an offer. Also if you go to the Oxford/Cambridge Offer Holders 2011 thread (I am pretty sure you have also been stalking them :biggrin:) most applicants have offers from other unis like York, Warwick, Bath or LSE as well.

1) Cool nice plan- yeah its funny how things can change, I only decided I wanted to do an econ degree in yr 12 lol
2) Yes you are right - unis such as Cambridge do not know the other options you applied to(e.g. LSE York etc.). Therefore, they cannot be certain whether u applied to other top unis, and cannot reject you on the basis that you will probs get an offer from one of those.
Original post by perrytheplatypus
Somebody who use to live near me missed their cambridge offer and got an AAB but they were impressed by the interview so much, they let them in anyway. Though I've not heard of any other such story.

Wow he really must have impressed them!! But he is probably one in a million... I think missing an offer from Oxbridge is like the worst thing that can happen. I'd rather get rejected pre-interview than not meeting my offer... Therefore this guy must have been extremely happy that they let him in anyway.
Reply 2024
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Don't really know. I mean obviously I want something that pays well, but something that I also enjoy. At the end of the day I picked the degree cos I enjoy economics, and I know there are wide range of well-paying jobs that the degree can lead you into. First need to prepare myself for a possible gap yr though lol

I'm probably having a gap year too, have you applied to any schemes?
Original post by Tateco
I'm probably having a gap year too, have you applied to any schemes?

Schemes? Well my school said that u apply to them in the Spring of yr 13 once u know that you didn't get into them (the unis), but by your question- I presume you can do this earlier.

Tbh, I am not really thiniking about the gap year. I should really focus all my energy on trying to get into a uni, hopefully a top 5 one, (albeit with mediocre AS grades AAAB), and then if I fail, try and get an internship and reapply.
Reply 2026
Schemes? Well my school said that u apply to them in the Spring of yr 13 once u know that you didn't get into them (the unis), but by your question- I presume you can do this earlier.

Tbh, I am not really thiniking about the gap year. I should really focus all my energy on trying to get into a uni, hopefully a top 5 one, (albeit with mediocre AS grades AAAB), and then if I fail, try and get an internship and reapply.

The schemes at the big companies (Deloitte, IBM, KPMG, Accenture) have opened or are opening very soon. I don't see any harm in being prepared for both. I personally want to go onto one of these schemes before I go to university and that is my preferred route, but I suppose it might be different for other people :tongue:
Original post by Tateco
The schemes at the big companies (Deloitte, IBM, KPMG, Accenture) have opened or are opening very soon. I don't see any harm in being prepared for both. I personally want to go onto one of these schemes before I go to university and that is my preferred route, but I suppose it might be different for other people :tongue:

I see you want experience in the industry firstbefore you go to uni- yes a nice plan, and it will make applying for jobs afterwards easier.
I swear my school doesn't tell me anything. But I suppose it is mainly my responsibility to be aware about these schemes. Thanks for the heads up though dunno when I would have found out about this!
Do you know when the application deadline for these generally are?
I'm gonna look online for these- I suppose they are very competitive.
Reply 2028
I see you want experience in the industry firstbefore you go to uni- yes a nice plan, and it will make applying for jobs afterwards easier.
I swear my school doesn't tell me anything. But I suppose it is mainly my responsibility to be aware about these schemes. Thanks for the heads up though dunno when I would have found out about this!
Do you know when the application deadline for these generally are?
I'm gonna look online for these- I suppose they are very competitive.

My school didn't tell me about them either, but I came across them by chance!

Deloitte opened in July and it's a rolling deadline (goes until all the places have filled up, usually still open after 12 months, but places like London tend to fill up quickly so you should apply sooner rather than later)

I think IBM opened quite recently

KPMG opens in September

Not sure when Accenture opens, might have opened already.

There are also some other schemes, and they are quite competitive but it's only like universities, if you apply to several you have a better chance, but like I say if you apply sooner it is obviously better! PM me if you want more advice on them, I've probably spent too long researching them all :tongue:
Original post by Tateco
My school didn't tell me about them either, but I came across them by chance!

Deloitte opened in July and it's a rolling deadline (goes until all the places have filled up, usually still open after 12 months, but places like London tend to fill up quickly so you should apply sooner rather than later)

I think IBM opened quite recently

KPMG opens in September

Not sure when Accenture opens, might have opened already.

There are also some other schemes, and they are quite competitive but it's only like universities, if you apply to several you have a better chance, but like I say if you apply sooner it is obviously better! PM me if you want more advice on them, I've probably spent too long researching them all :tongue:

Yeah man I will PM you if thats cool- you defo seem to know your stuff.
I haven't even done my personal statement lol, and still got extended project to do- so this does add more stress, but it is much better to learn about this now, than in April. I had no idea that the application proccess started so early, thanks a lot man :smile:
Count me in you two. I am actually on a gap year between 2011 and 2012.
Tat I PMed you.
I'm applying as well, though only for Accenture since I've done some work experience there before and liked it ^_^
Reply 2032
so are most people only applying to universities that only offer A*AA?
Reply 2033
I'm applying as well, though only for Accenture since I've done some work experience there before and liked it ^_^

At this rate we'll all be in the 2013 applicants thread :rofl:
Reply 2034
Original post by expopyro
so are most people only applying to universities that only offer A*AA?

I wouldn't say most, but I think several people in this thread are opting for that strategy.
Reply 2035
Yeah man I will PM you if thats cool- you defo seem to know your stuff.
I haven't even done my personal statement lol, and still got extended project to do- so this does add more stress, but it is much better to learn about this now, than in April. I had no idea that the application proccess started so early, thanks a lot man :smile:

I wouldn't panic too much yet :tongue: It doesn't take that much time either, just a couple of dedicated hours to nail the application forms!
Original post by Tateco
I wouldn't say most, but I think several people in this thread are opting for that strategy.

Well, if we are all going to uni in 2013, then we may as well risk it this year and simply reapply next year if there are no offers :tongue:
Reply 2037
Well, if we are all going to uni in 2013, then we may as well risk it this year and simply reapply next year if there are no offers :tongue:

That's exactly what I'm doing :u:
Original post by Tateco
That's exactly what I'm doing :u:

Me too ^_^
It also means I won't feel as stressed in the exams, hopefully I'll be able to do better like that :tongue:
Reply 2039
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
That sounds fine if you watch it on YouTube.

So where are you applying to?

Latest

Trending

Trending