The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'art pour l'art
Whoa, you've four of my choices! Make your fifth choice Bristol and it will be a total match! :h:

I'm matching you except UCL instead of Durham! :smile: What're you applying for (sorry if you've already said it but I'm too lazy to track back).
I completely missed this thread! But yup I'm also applying for Maths in 2012 :biggrin:

GCSE: 12A* 1A
AS Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology and English Literature
Considering: Think I've decided now on Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Bath and Lancaster :colondollar:
Preparation: I've read a few books (Fermat's Last Theorem, Advances in Mathematical Sciences Vol.8) and just purhcased What is Mathematics? that I might try and have a look at, but it's HUUGE and the personal statement deadline for oxbridge applicants is so soon :frown:

Really struggling with my personal statement at the moment, how is everyone else finding it?:s-smilie:
Original post by hayzelle
...just purhcased What is Mathematics? that I might try and have a look at, but it's HUUGE and the personal statement deadline for oxbridge applicants is so soon :frown:

Really struggling with my personal statement at the moment, how is everyone else finding it?:s-smilie:

I have What Is Mathematics - one thing I like about it is that you can enjoy sections without ploughing through the whole book. It's nice just to discover something new, but yeah, it's very textbooky. Just read the bits you're interested in and mention "I enjoyed reading about..." or something similar in your PS :smile:

But the PS... blegh. Still struggling with what to write, and how much unrelated stuff about me I should put in. The figures I've heard range from 5% to 25% - where to draw the line? :s-smilie:

Considering: Think I've decided now on Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Bath and Lancaster :colondollar:
Preparation: I've read a few books (Fermat's Last Theorem, Advances in Mathematical Sciences Vol.8) and just purhcased What is Mathematics? that I might try and have a look at, but it's HUUGE and the personal statement deadline for oxbridge applicants is so soon :frown:

Wow!!! Well done with the GCSEs they're amazing!!!! They put mine to shame somewhat :/ What did you get at AS and what are your A level predictions? :smile:
Lancaster is great!! Did you go to the open day last wednesday?
I see almost everyone on this thread is reading mathsy books...is it absolutely essential? :/
Original post by Xero Xenith
I have What Is Mathematics - one thing I like about it is that you can enjoy sections without ploughing through the whole book. It's nice just to discover something new, but yeah, it's very textbooky. Just read the bits you're interested in and mention "I enjoyed reading about..." or something similar in your PS :smile:

But the PS... blegh. Still struggling with what to write, and how much unrelated stuff about me I should put in. The figures I've heard range from 5% to 25% - where to draw the line? :s-smilie:

Ah that's such a good idea, thankyou:tongue:

I think I'm going to put in a short 5 line paragraph at the end with all my extra-curricular stuff in... It's hard because I think it means different amounts to different unis, and the personal statement has to cater for all of them!
Original post by BeccaCath94
Wow!!! Well done with the GCSEs they're amazing!!!! They put mine to shame somewhat :/ What did you get at AS and what are your A level predictions? :smile:
Lancaster is great!! Did you go to the open day last wednesday?
I see almost everyone on this thread is reading mathsy books...is it absolutely essential? :/

Aw thanks! Was a major shock for me on results day (but a good one!):tongue:

For AS I got 5As, and I actually have no idea what my predictions are:rolleyes: But I'm definitely considering begging my Maths teacher to predict me 2A*s at the moment:colone:

It's not essential but further reading shows enthusiasm/interest in the subject I guess, and it's something you can stick in your PS :biggrin:

I didn't get to go to the Lancaster open day unfortunately, but it seems like such a good uni and the entrance requirements are quite low compared to other unis around the same position in the league tables. I take it you're applying then? :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey guys,

I'm trying to do the same thread but for Music!
I never get any replys, wheres the best place to post the thread.

( Sorry I'm new to TSF)

Thanks!
Good Luck everyone with there University choices.
So, I just read this thread, and now I'm having a major panic about applying to Imperial! It looks like the only reason to go there is the prospect of a good career at the end. :s-smilie: I'm really worried about this, because Imperial and Bristol are my two "places I really want to go that aren't Oxbridge". What do you all think? I don't want to live miles from everywhere, but perhaps I should apply to Warwick instead? Or UCL, where the course is less good? Aaah!
Aw thanks! Was a major shock for me on results day (but a good one!):tongue:

For AS I got 5As, and I actually have no idea what my predictions are:rolleyes: But I'm definitely considering begging my Maths teacher to predict me 2A*s at the moment:colone:

It's not essential but further reading shows enthusiasm/interest in the subject I guess, and it's something you can stick in your PS :biggrin:

I didn't get to go to the Lancaster open day unfortunately, but it seems like such a good uni and the entrance requirements are quite low compared to other unis around the same position in the league tables. I take it you're applying then? :biggrin:

Haha i bet it was a pleasant surprise!! :biggrin: Were you predicted numerous A*s? I only got 2 so... :/
:O Wow!!!! Well done!!! I got ABCC :/
You're too clever!!!! hahahaha
Yeah i know...but i havent done any.. :/ I've done quite a lot of mathsy things though so fingers crossed..... :smile:
Yeah i went and it seems great :smile: I know!! For me its ABB - :O - 2Bs from an 8th best uni i was like :O hahaha Yeah :smile:
Reply 1009
Wow!! These all sound great :biggrin: :biggrin: Well done!!! They sound good enough for the best unis so why will it be risky?

I dont know my predicted grades yet but I got:: ABCC for AS, and am going to drop one of the Cs and resit the other!!

LOL but I'm not sitting the STEP exam :smile: too much I think.
Oh okay cool :smile: All the best with the A2 and the resit! :biggrin:
Reply 1010
I completely missed this thread! But yup I'm also applying for Maths in 2012 :biggrin:

Well done with those GCSE grades! :smile: I'm reading Fermat's Last Theorem at the moment and I'm finding it REALLY good :biggrin:
Good luck with that personal statement, I have found that I am struggling too, but I went to all the universities that I want to apply to and copied and pasted everything the university requires from a student and I am using that, it helps :smile: Only done my first paragraph! Good luck with yours! :smile:
Original post by ms93
LOL but I'm not sitting the STEP exam :smile: too much I think.
Oh okay cool :smile: All the best with the A2 and the resit! :biggrin:

Ahh...is that necessary? Im not applying to any unis with it so dont really know what its for....
Thank you :smile: And the same to you! :biggrin:
Reply 1012
Ahh...is that necessary? Im not applying to any unis with it so dont really know what its for....
Thank you :smile: And the same to you! :biggrin:

Just for Cambridge and Warwick, far too ambitious for me! LOL :P And thanks :biggrin:
Haha i bet it was a pleasant surprise!! :biggrin: Were you predicted numerous A*s? I only got 2 so... :/
:O Wow!!!! Well done!!! I got ABCC :/
You're too clever!!!! hahahaha
Yeah i know...but i havent done any.. :/ I've done quite a lot of mathsy things though so fingers crossed..... :smile:
Yeah i went and it seems great :smile: I know!! For me its ABB - :O - 2Bs from an 8th best uni i was like :O hahaha Yeah :smile:

My school doesn't predict A*s for GCSE, so I wasn't predicted any. 2A*s is better than 0A*s! :biggrin: I don't think GCSEs hold a lot of weight for most universities anyway, and once you hold offers they mean nothing so I wouldn't worry about it:smile:

If you've done lots of mathsy things then that should show your enthusiasm really well, I kinda lack e-c maths things so thought I better pick up a few books:wink:

Haha hell yeah, definitely making an application there :biggrin:
Original post by ms93
Well done with those GCSE grades! :smile: I'm reading Fermat's Last Theorem at the moment and I'm finding it REALLY good :biggrin:
Good luck with that personal statement, I have found that I am struggling too, but I went to all the universities that I want to apply to and copied and pasted everything the university requires from a student and I am using that, it helps :smile: Only done my first paragraph! Good luck with yours! :smile:

Thankyou!!:biggrin:

I loved that book so much - Andrew Wiles is just adorable:colondollar:

That's a really good idea - so far I've just been looking at loads of 'How to Write Your Personal Statement' guides and making tonnes of notes, can't bring myself to start writing quite yet but I know I really need to!:tongue:
Reply 1015
Thankyou!!:biggrin:

I loved that book so much - Andrew Wiles is just adorable:colondollar:

That's a really good idea - so far I've just been looking at loads of 'How to Write Your Personal Statement' guides and making tonnes of notes, can't bring myself to start writing quite yet but I know I really need to!:tongue:

Your Welcome! :smile:
LOL I know, I'm still half way through yet, I love it :biggrin: Any suggestions on what to read next? :smile: And yeah its so difficult, good luck with the oxbridge application :smile:
I hope everyone who's used the TSR PS help thingy has submitted a big lump of cheese. I might get round to it at some point. Would I be right in saying that pretty much all maths PSs are just big blocks of cheese?

Original post by anyone_can_fly
So, I just read this thread, and now I'm having a major panic about applying to Imperial! It looks like the only reason to go there is the prospect of a good career at the end. :s-smilie: I'm really worried about this, because Imperial and Bristol are my two "places I really want to go that aren't Oxbridge". What do you all think? I don't want to live miles from everywhere, but perhaps I should apply to Warwick instead? Or UCL, where the course is less good? Aaah!

Just go Manchester :h:

Seriously, I think most other universities won't be much better than that. But I could be wrong, because I know nothing
(edited 12 years ago)
My school doesn't predict A*s for GCSE, so I wasn't predicted any. 2A*s is better than 0A*s! :biggrin: I don't think GCSEs hold a lot of weight for most universities anyway, and once you hold offers they mean nothing so I wouldn't worry about it:smile:

If you've done lots of mathsy things then that should show your enthusiasm really well, I kinda lack e-c maths things so thought I better pick up a few books:wink:

Haha hell yeah, definitely making an application there :biggrin:

It doesn't predict A*s??? Why?? :frown: yeah true!! But my 2A*s were in very unuseful subjects - textiles and French - neither of which I took for A level!!!! yeah that is very true about ibid and gcses :smile:

Well I like to think I have! I've done the maths challenge 5 times, helped in a maths class, been on a maths trip and watched a maths tv series so..... :smile:

Yeah me too!! :smile:
Original post by ms93
Your Welcome! :smile:
LOL I know, I'm still half way through yet, I love it :biggrin: Any suggestions on what to read next? :smile: And yeah its so difficult, good luck with the oxbridge application :smile:

Well I wouldn't recommend 'Advances in Mathematical Sciences Vol. 8' I only understood like 1/4 of it:s-smilie: haha
I've had a flick through 'What is Mathematics?' by Courant+Robbins and it looks really good but it is like a textbook rather than a novel. Though it's probably good to read because of that reason too, I did think FLT lacked a bit on the actual maths side.

Aw, thankyou, that's sweet:biggrin: Where are you applying to?
Reply 1019
Well I wouldn't recommend 'Advances in Mathematical Sciences Vol. 8' I only understood like 1/4 of it:s-smilie: haha
I've had a flick through 'What is Mathematics?' by Courant+Robbins and it looks really good but it is like a textbook rather than a novel. Though it's probably good to read because of that reason too, I did think FLT lacked a bit on the actual maths side.

Aw, thankyou, that's sweet:biggrin: Where are you applying to?

LOL well I shall definitely avoid those ones then! :smile: I'm going to read 'Alex in numberland' by Alex Bellos next it looks intersting :smile:
I'm thinking UCL, kings, nottingham, birmingham and leicester at the moment :smile: you?

Latest