The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
Cambridge (Emmanuel), LSE, Warwick, UCL and Bath. :u:

How about yourself?

not completely sure but, Warick, Bath, Nottingham, UCL, Oxbridge (haven't chosen which yet)
when do you have submit your UMS to Cambridge, and does it have to be for all your as results or just the subject you continue for a2?
Reply 2041
Original post by expopyro
not completely sure but, Warick, Bath, Nottingham, UCL, Oxbridge (haven't chosen which yet)
when do you have submit your UMS to Cambridge, and does it have to be for all your as results or just the subject you continue for a2?

You submit your UCAS application, then they send you the SAQ. You have to complete it within a week.

Yes, you must include all the results of all the exams you have taken (including modules you have re-taken).
Reply 2042
hmmmmm, since I'm impartial over both oxford and cambridge as universities, and both the courses interest me, could you advise me as to whether i should apply to oxford or cambridge, since my averages for my subjects are only 85% 88% 91% and 97%, do you reckon this is at all good enough for at least an interview at cambridge. (i ask you this as you and tateco seem to be the most knowledgeable on this thread)
Reply 2043
hmmmmm, since I'm impartial over both oxford and cambridge as universities, and both the courses interest me, could you advise me as to whether i should apply to oxford or cambridge, since my averages for my subjects are only 85% 88% 91% and 97%, do you reckon this is at all good enough for at least an interview at cambridge. (i ask you this as you and tateco seem to be the most knowledgeable on this thread)

Well your average in top 3 (92%) is good so you would most likely get an interview at Cambridge. Oxford don't look at UMS so they take a bit more consideration of GCSEs, if your GCSEs are good that might advantage you for Oxford. It's difficult to know which, and you shouldn't base it just on which one you are more likely to get an offer from. Have you visited them both?
Reply 2044
Original post by Tateco

Original post by Tateco
Well your average in top 3 (92%) is good so you would most likely get an interview at Cambridge. Oxford don't look at UMS so they take a bit more consideration of GCSEs, if your GCSEs are good that might advantage you for Oxford. It's difficult to know which, and you shouldn't base it just on which one you are more likely to get an offer from. Have you visited them both?

yeah i visited both, and thought they were both great universities, i probably prefer the surrounding area of cambridge slightly more, but the oxford city is lovely too thats why I'm finding it so hard to choose between the two. I just wanted to know if there is one that i more likely to get an interview at because that would really be the deciding factor for me.... thanks for the information tho, what do you constitute as good gcses?
hmmmmm, since I'm impartial over both oxford and cambridge as universities, and both the courses interest me, could you advise me as to whether i should apply to oxford or cambridge

Depends what you're looking for. If all you want is the oxbridge tag, apply to oxford's E&M course because it's much easier to get into. Much like all the proper mathematicians opt for the cambridge course, all the proper economists do the same. But apart from just hearsay and reputation, having come across different undergrad content from different universities, I would say that graduates from the economics undergrad at cambridge leave as better all-round economists than at other universities. So probably a bit of a trade-off here.
Reply 2046
yeah i visited both, and thought they were both great universities, i probably prefer the surrounding area of cambridge slightly more, but the oxford city is lovely too thats why I'm finding it so hard to choose between the two. I just wanted to know if there is one that i more likely to get an interview at because that would really be the deciding factor for me.... thanks for the information tho, what do you constitute as good gcses?

Well if it's just on getting an interview then Cambridge would be the better option as I believe they interview many more applicants (90%) whereas I think Oxford interview less than half (don't quote me on exact figures, but I think generally Cambridge interview a higher proportion). But ease of getting an interview definitely doesn't relate to ease of gaining an offer.
Reply 2047

What subjects are the 88%, 91% and 97% in?
Reply 2048
What is this scheme you guys are talking about? Are they schemes for apprenticeships/work experience if you guys take a gap year?
Reply 2049
Original post by myyout
What is this scheme you guys are talking about? Are they schemes for apprenticeships/work experience if you guys take a gap year?

Google companies such as Deloitte and KPMG. A lot of good companies are offering gap year placements nowadays. :u:
Reply 2050
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
What subjects are the 88%, 91% and 97% in?

biology, economics and maths respectively.
Reply 2051
Original post by Overmars

Original post by Overmars
Depends what you're looking for. If all you want is the oxbridge tag, apply to oxford's E&M course because it's much easier to get into. Much like all the proper mathematicians opt for the cambridge course, all the proper economists do the same. But apart from just hearsay and reputation, having come across different undergrad content from different universities, I would say that graduates from the economics undergrad at cambridge leave as better all-round economists than at other universities. So probably a bit of a trade-off here.

why would you say oxford's E&M is much easier?
I'm not really just after the oxbridge tag, but i would like to know some people's rationale as to why they chose one over the other.
why would you say oxford's E&M is much easier?
I'm not really just after the oxbridge tag, but i would like to know some people's rationale as to why they chose one over the other.

I said it's much easier to get into. And I explained that in the post; because most of the high calibre applicants opt for the Cambridge course since it's a straight economics course and is more established/prestigious (has a longer history or whatever).
Reply 2053
biology, economics and maths respectively.

97% in Maths is promising. I think either Oxford or Cambridge would be suitable.
Reply 2054
So most people who are applying to UCL, are you thinking of L100, or L101?
Reply 2055
So most people who are applying to UCL, are you thinking of L100, or L101?

L100. At first I was very excited about the prospect of learning in America, but realistically I'd rather go to UCL than be rejected from that overly-competitive course. It wouldn't add too much to career prospects, either.
Reply 2056
Talking about international study, what do you guys think about it? Is it worth applying to a course that allows a chance for international study? Or would it be better just to get your degree out the way?
Reply 2057
Original post by Groat
Google companies such as Deloitte and KPMG. A lot of good companies are offering gap year placements nowadays. :u:

Should I apply, just in case, even though I don't plan to take a gap year? This is just for back up if I do get no offers :smile:
Reply 2058
Original post by myyout
Should I apply, just in case, even though I don't plan to take a gap year? This is just for back up if I do get no offers :smile:

No. Apply if you want to take a gap year.
Reply 2059
Original post by myyout

If you end up getting an offer for one and then turn it down because you "don't want a gap year" they probably won't look on it too kindly

Latest

Trending

Trending