The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aja89
Still annoyed about Movie Madness? :colondollar:

Not especially, as I always thought it would win. I just find myself feeling more and more distanced from it though.

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Of course it would though.... American History X deals with more realistic and gritty problems and themes like the widespread racism, the main character actually committing the murder and inmate brutality, the depiction of which is far more brutal than Shawshank. It also leaves a more powerful message (redemption followed by the same problem rearing it's ugly head as opposed to a new beginning in Shawshank) after it spends the course of the film following Derek's gradual change in the way he thought and perceived things.

I wonder, and there have been rumours about this, what the film would have felt like if at the end...

Spoiler

I want to believe in the redemption but...

Shawshank dealt with some pretty hard-hitting stuff as well. It's easy to forget when they underplayed it so much, but it still featured rape, brutality and betrayal.

With regards to the alternative ending you hypothesised for American History X, then of course it would have felt very different because it would be completely a different message. For me the message to the film is

Spoiler

Reply 4041
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Took a while to get around to processing your join requests. But welcome to the Film society and our humble abode. :h:

Wahay! Thanks for accepting :biggrin:
Reply 4042
Original post by Phalanges
American History X has much more powerful and resonant prison scenes than Shawshank Redemption. And a much stronger ending.

I loved the ending to American History X, and the movie itself too. I might look to do a review of it soon, tbh; I feel there's plenty of material there that could be touched upon. :holmes:

Ape Gone Insane

I wonder, and there have been rumours about this, what the film would have felt like if at the end...

Hmmm, I suppose it might have worked, but probably not significantly so. The meaning might have changed, but it would essentially still be a tragedy; the latter, though, would probably just a a somewhat clumsy exposition of a character flaw. I like the original ending better, I think.
Reply 4043
Original post by Deshi
Yeah I watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall, was hilarious, Kristen Bell looked :sexface:

I was caught off guard though with the full frontal nudity from Jason Segal. Was not expecting that. Especially considering it was a 15 and I've been watching him in HIMYM for years, it felt a bit :lolwut:

Well, the BBFC classification guidelines on nudity are as follows:

15 18 BBFC on nudity in and rated films
... full-frontal nudity “sometimes in a sexual context” (but avoiding “close-up detail”) in those rated “15”; and “extensive full-frontal nudity” in a sexual context (“as long as there is no undue focus on the genitals”) in those rated “18”

And, while we're on the subject of strangely lenient film classifications, this article is pretty interesting (a run-down of some PG rated films that were anything but).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4044
One thing I've never been able to understand, Wikipedia says that Gone With The Wind had over 200MILLION ticket sales, but the U.S population was a little over 100million...how can it REALLY be the highest grossing film ever? (adjusted to inflation)
Original post by tombeale
One thing I've never been able to understand, Wikipedia says that Gone With The Wind had over 200MILLION ticket sales, but the U.S population was a little over 100million...how can it REALLY be the highest grossing film ever? (adjusted to inflation)

Sure that wasn't world ticket sales?
Reply 4046
Original post by tombeale

War time, multiple viewings because there was bugger all else to be feeling good about.
Also Gone With the Wind was released three or four times in cinemas over a 20-year period I believe, so a hell of a lot of people would go and see it for nostalgic reasons or may not have been born the first time around. I think the first release only garnered a little over 20m ticket sales which was pretty disappointing, because of expensive tickets. A re-release a year later was much cheaper and garnered much more interest. Also it was very popular in places like London, and I assume that those figures must factor into the 200m (the global market had a lot more importance back then than it does now).

And also while the potential audience might be lower, the audience share that cinema had would be many times greater. No TV, no internet, the biggest competitor was probably the radio, and just about every family would go to the cinema once a week. There's a brilliant moment in Public Enemies when John Dillinger goes to a cinema just to escape the summer heat - cinemas were frequented an awful lot more back then. So really when you adjust for inflation it's almost inevitable that older films will come out on top. ET or Return of the Jedi were probably the last blockbusters released that didn't have to compete with cable television, so when you scan the inflated box office lists it makes the accomplishments of films like Titanic and Avatar even more impressive than those which came before.
Just finisehd watching The truman show and american history X. Both really good films and managed to make me cry especially american history X which is now one of my favourites
I can't wait for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy :sad:
Reply 4050
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
I can't wait for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy :sad:

Same! Tomas Alfredson is brilliant, Let The Right One In:love:
I'm really looking forward to seeing how Apollo 18 turns out. New little teasers:

Super 8 was actually pretty good, didn't like the ending that much though. Anticipating JJs' next flick

films I wanna see next - Fright night, another earth, Apollo 18
I can't find a recent Star Wars thread so I guess I'll just use this thread to flag up to you guys a rather nice offer that I've just stumbled across: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/star-wars-complete-saga-senitype-pre-order-edition-blu-ray-despatched-arrive-for/1004668

Star Wars complete blu-ray (pre-order) for £57.37 :biggrin:
Reply 4054
Anyone here seen Taking Lives and is it any good? Angelina Jolie and Ethan Jawke are in it, so I can't see it being too bad :holmes:
Watched The Devils Double last week - an interesting / odd film... not sure if it's based on how he really was, but if it is, then it's truly shocking.
Original post by Mono
Same! Tomas Alfredson is brilliant, Let The Right One In:love:

Did you see Let Me In? I didn't bother but I'm sort of curious...
Original post by Illusionary

Original post by Illusionary
I can't find a recent Star Wars thread so I guess I'll just use this thread to flag up to you guys a rather nice offer that I've just stumbled across: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/star-wars-complete-saga-senitype-pre-order-edition-blu-ray-despatched-arrive-for/1004668

Star Wars complete blu-ray (pre-order) for £57.37 :biggrin:

£20 a film is pretty pricey. Still, I guess you also get 6+ hours of merchandise tie-in filler...

:colone:
I see what you did there.

£20 a film is pretty pricey. Still, I guess you also get 6+ hours of merchandise tie-in filler...

:colone:

:lol: Point taken :p:

Still, you won't find a better price for now, by the looks of it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending