The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Anyone else bought a college hoodie??

I ordered a St Hugh's one and the Freshers T-shirt. You?
Original post by billieerin23

I have a Trinity one - it's really nice (though for some reason I feel self-conscious wearing it outside - unless 'outside' is Oxford) Anywhere but Oxford I think the bright Trinity crest would seem a bit...pompous?
(edited 12 years ago)
I have a Trinity one - it's really nice (though for some reason I feel self-conscious wearing it outside - unless 'outside' is Oxford) Anywhere but Oxford I think the bright Trinity crest would seem a bit...pompous?

You're going to Oxford darling I think you'll have to accept a little bit of pompous :P on a more serious note, I don't get mine until I get there but if I had it I think I'd wear it, be proud of your achievement in getting in!

I have a college scarf! But I can't order my "stash" because the document comes up encoded to hell. Damn you Microsoft!
Original post by Fang_RedDragon
I have a college scarf! But I can't order my "stash" because the document comes up encoded to hell. Damn you Microsoft!

I nearly got the scarf too but my parents were going to make me pay and my purse was screaming in protest . . . but I thought it'd be very Hogwarts to have an Oxford University Scarf
You're going to Oxford darling I think you'll have to accept a little bit of pompous :P on a more serious note, I don't get mine until I get there but if I had it I think I'd wear it, be proud of your achievement in getting in!

Haha I suppose you're right.

But I draw the line at wearing sub fusc anywhere but Oxford :P My friends are not used to the whole 'Wear a gown to exams' thing.....or latin grace....
Haha I suppose you're right.

But I draw the line at wearing sub fusc anywhere but Oxford :P My friends are not used to the whole 'Wear a gown to exams' thing.....or latin grace....

Ok but you'll wear to inappropriate places in Oxford after Matriculation and exams (e.g. McDonalds the Turf Tavern etc.) right? Flapping about the town on your bicycle is half the fun of going!
Original post by mf2004
That's bull. There are only about 50 rooms in Hilda's which have a fridge and they go to finalist scholars, tutor's requests and a few very lucky finalist.

There are communal fridges in every kitchen (I think).

Many people bring their own fridges though so maybe that's why it seemed like they all did. Hilda's is quite lax on electrical equipment.

EDIT: just realised this sounds quite harsh, it's not meant to, it's purely informative.

Sorry - couldn't speak for everyone! Only going on observations, didn't realise it was probably their own :P
Reply 3268
I have one!! Bewarned, the lady in the shop is a little intense. She gives you this talk about how the scarves are 6ft long exactly because the Cambridge ones are 5ft 8 and Oxford had to be better.:rolleyes:

Ha that's pretty funny. Good to know we're 1-up on Cambridge on the scarf front! I expected the scarfs to be a lot shorter actually, I guess that vaguely justifies the high price.. just maybe..
Reply 3269
I have not a small chicken of an idea about what I am going to bring. Mum wants to buy the entirety of John Lewis, but then had a screamy cry-y fit when I told her I must take my computer. She then refused to take me or pick me up at either end of term, so currently it isn't a problem, as I am simply not going.

Does anybody else have borderline insane parents?

That sounds very odd. What's her reasoning for that? Best of luck though.

Original post by shinobi93
A bit random, but is anyone buying/thinking of buying a college scarf?

Anyone else bought a college hoodie??

Haven't bought anything yet, partly because ordering from another country is awkward, partlyb cause I'm hoping college stuff might be cheaper to buy once I'm actually in Oxford. As far as I know the scarves without coat of arms are the better/more authentic/cooler ones though.
Original post by dbmag9

[QUOTE="dbmag9;33737396"]That sounds very odd. What's her reasoning for that? Best of luck though.

Doesn't have the confidence to drive to Oxford (it's about an hour away.) Her sense of direction is terrifyingly bad. She panics and starts to overcompensate looking in mirrors so much that she doesnt look where she is going, inevitably leading to more hysteria as she gets more lost or has a near miss.

That's the real reason, because she is frightened. It's a tough call, I mean I don't want to upset her, but she is gets herself so wound up when there really is no need. And there is no resolving it. Iv tried to help her, reassure her, I give really good calm directions, but if she won't get in the car, there is nothing I can do. So of course she just gets worse. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3271
Doesn't have the confidence to drive to Oxford (it's about an hour away.) Her sense of direction is terrifyingly bad. She panics and starts to overcompensate looking in mirrors so much that she doesnt look where she is going, inevitably leading to more hysteria as she gets more lost or has a near miss.

That's the real reason, because she is frightened. It's a tough call, I mean I don't want to upset her, but she is gets herself so wound up when there really is no need. And there is no resolving it. Iv tried to help her, reassure her, I give really good calm directions, but if she won't get in the car, there is nothing I can do. So of course she just gets worse. :frown:

Ah, I suppose that makes a bit more sense. Hope you manage to figure something out.
Reply 3272
Don't buy college/oxford hoodies/scarves! Actually, don't leave your room, stay in it, don't go outside, don't go to lectures and eat tescos chicken strips and keep curtains closed.

I may have wasted a bit of time during 1st year.

But college hoodies are okay. The actual college bit is quite small so it doesn't really look pompous.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm just deciphering the Financial Guide, and I came across this:

"The Rector & Tutors Committee give consideration to applications under the normal procedure by other Junior Members for grants towards reimbursing
the cost of music lessons, up to a maximum each term equal to the Senior Tutors Committee’s currently recommended rate for eight single tutorials, 13
such applications to be accompanied by a receipt showing the amount has been paid."

Does this mean I, as a non-Music student, can have 8 music lessons a term?!
(edited 12 years ago)
I nearly got the scarf too but my parents were going to make me pay and my purse was screaming in protest . . . but I thought it'd be very Hogwarts to have an Oxford University Scarf

When I saw the scarf that was the first thing I thought of :biggrin:
Reply 3275

Original post by Babs12123
When I saw the scarf that was the first thing I thought of :biggrin:

I think you mean it's very Oxford for there to be a Hogwarts house scarf. :awesome:
Original post by dbmag9
I think you mean it's very Oxford for there to be a Hogwarts house scarf. :awesome:

Indeed! I keep mixing the two up in my mind, the other day we were watching the Philosopher's Stone and I went "awwww Percy's leading the Freshers up to their dormitories" . . .
Original post by dbmag9

Indeed! I keep mixing the two up in my mind, the other day we were watching the Philosopher's Stone and I went "awwww Percy's leading the Freshers up to their dormitories" . . .

I think my friend is only offering to come and visit me because she actually thinks I'm going to Hogwarts... Which I don't argue with!
Original post by shinobi93
I think my friend is only offering to come and visit me because she actually thinks I'm going to Hogwarts... Which I don't argue with!

Well Hermione is going there this year.....:tongue:
Well Hermione is going there this year.....:tongue:

That's the other reason she's visiting me... People should at least pretend they want to see me :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending