The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BeccaCath94
It doesn't predict A*s??? Why?? :frown: yeah true!! But my 2A*s were in very unuseful subjects - textiles and French - neither of which I took for A level!!!! yeah that is very true about ibid and gcses :smile:

Well I like to think I have! I've done the maths challenge 5 times, helped in a maths class, been on a maths trip and watched a maths tv series so..... :smile:

Yeah me too!! :smile:

Because we needed the opportunity to 'exceed our targets' :yep::rolleyes:

That definitely sounds like a lot of useful maths experience to me! What's the maths TV series you watched? It sounds pretty cool!:tongue:
Original post by hassi94
I'm matching you except UCL instead of Durham! :smile: What're you applying for (sorry if you've already said it but I'm too lazy to track back).
That's nice. I'm applying for Mathematics. Same with you, I'm assuming?
Original post by ms93
LOL well I shall definitely avoid those ones then! :smile: I'm going to read 'Alex in numberland' by Alex Bellos next it looks intersting :smile:
I'm thinking UCL, kings, nottingham, birmingham and leicester at the moment :smile: you?

Oh I have Alex's Adventures in Numberland! I'm only a few chapters into it but it's very interesting, I especially liked the chapter about different bases.

That's a nice mix! Apart from Cambridge, I'm thinking of Warwick, Durham, Bath and Lancaster :heart:
Original post by hayzelle
I completely missed this thread! But yup I'm also applying for Maths in 2012 :biggrin:

GCSE: 12A* 1A
AS Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology and English Literature
Considering: Think I've decided now on Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Bath and Lancaster :colondollar:
Preparation: I've read a few books (Fermat's Last Theorem, Advances in Mathematical Sciences Vol.8) and just purhcased What is Mathematics? that I might try and have a look at, but it's HUUGE and the personal statement deadline for oxbridge applicants is so soon :frown:

Really struggling with my personal statement at the moment, how is everyone else finding it?:s-smilie:

I have What is Mathematics, got it from the library a few months ago but I haven't even opened it :facepalm2:

I literally can't read, thankfully I find writing a personal statement a lot easier than opening a book
Original post by dnumberwang
I have What is Mathematics, got it from the library a few months ago but I haven't even opened it :facepalm2:

I literally can't read, thankfully I find writing a personal statement a lot easier than opening a book

Haha I can totally emphasise, it's lying at the bottom of my suitcase at the moment, having been to Italy, Scotland AND Devon and still not having been read:tongue:

Definitely jel that you're finding the personal statement a lot easier though, I can't even come up with a decent first sentence :erm:
Original post by dnumberwang
I hope everyone who's used the TSR PS help thingy has submitted a big lump of cheese. I might get round to it at some point. Would I be right in saying that pretty much all maths PSs are just big blocks of cheese?

Just go Manchester :h:

Seriously, I think most other universities won't be much better than that. But I could be wrong, because I know nothing

Mine is definitely an entire cake of cheese.

Well, I know that UCL has 5-6 person tutorials for all of first year, but it peters out after that. I suppose you're right, I've just been spoiled by looking at Oxford. :frown: Ah well. It's still one of the top five maths departments in the country.
Reply 1026
Oh I have Alex's Adventures in Numberland! I'm only a few chapters into it but it's very interesting, I especially liked the chapter about different bases.

That's a nice mix! Apart from Cambridge, I'm thinking of Warwick, Durham, Bath and Lancaster :heart:

Oh that's good to hear, that's the next book I'm going to be reading :biggrin: I hope two books are enough for the personal statement?
Wow good luck with the STEP exam, I'm sure you'll do good :biggrin:
Original post by ms93
Oh that's good to hear, that's the next book I'm going to be reading :biggrin: I hope two books are enough for the personal statement?
Wow good luck with the STEP exam, I'm sure you'll do good :biggrin:

I would think so, it's more about what you learn from them than how many I guess. Quality not quantity as they say :tongue:

Arghh STEP is definitely going to give me a few nightmares, I had a look at a paper and it seems really difficult:s-smilie: Thanks for the support though, fingers crossed!:biggrin:
Because we needed the opportunity to 'exceed our targets' :yep::rolleyes:

That definitely sounds like a lot of useful maths experience to me! What's the maths TV series you watched? It sounds pretty cool!:tongue:

Oh haha well that's true I guess :P

I hope its ok :smile: I started reading this maths book that my friends mum who is a maths lecturer leant me!! It's good but just too long and I don't really understand that much of it! Haha :frown:

The maths tv series was the code :smile:
Oh haha well that's true I guess :P

I hope its ok :smile: I started reading this maths book that my friends mum who is a maths lecturer leant me!! It's good but just too long and I don't really understand that much of it! Haha :frown:

The maths tv series was the code :smile:

Ohh what's it called? I didn't understand a lot of one of the books I read, but I guess as long as you can still learn something from it they shouldn't mind, you can't be expected to know everything about maths - otherwise what's the point of applying to a maths course?!:tongue:

I hadn't heard of that one! There was another one I remember someone recommended to me but I can't recall its title at all:frown: Watching a TV program sounds nice, it's less like work:colondollar:
Reply 1030
I would think so, it's more about what you learn from them than how many I guess. Quality not quantity as they say :tongue:

Arghh STEP is definitely going to give me a few nightmares, I had a look at a paper and it seems really difficult:s-smilie: Thanks for the support though, fingers crossed!:biggrin:

LOL! You'll be fine gooood luckkkkk :biggrin:
Original post by ms93
LOL! You'll be fine gooood luckkkkk :biggrin:

Haha thankyouu:biggrin: good luck with all your exams too! It's going to be a stressful year I reckon!
Reply 1032
my academic stuff is in my sig, is it worth me even applying to warwick, oxford, imperial etc? please be honest :smile:
Haha I can totally emphasise, it's lying at the bottom of my suitcase at the moment, having been to Italy, Scotland AND Devon and still not having been read:tongue:

Definitely jel that you're finding the personal statement a lot easier though, I can't even come up with a decent first sentence :erm:

Nah neither can I, the first sentence is the worst bit of mine, but I'm satisfied with the rest, that's until I put it on TSR and it gets slaughtered
Ah that's such a good idea, thankyou:tongue:

I think I'm going to put in a short 5 line paragraph at the end with all my extra-curricular stuff in... It's hard because I think it means different amounts to different unis, and the personal statement has to cater for all of them!

Mine has all of two lines of things that aren't to do with maths, detailing my sporting achievements and my love of reading. The teachers at my school said that top universities literally want one or two lines that demonstrate you are human.
It doesn't predict A*s??? Why?? :frown: yeah true!! But my 2A*s were in very unuseful subjects - textiles and French - neither of which I took for A level!!!! yeah that is very true about ibid and gcses :smile:

Well I like to think I have! I've done the maths challenge 5 times, helped in a maths class, been on a maths trip and watched a maths tv series so..... :smile:

Yeah me too!! :smile:

A guy I talked to at cambridge said one of the most common things on application were people saying they took the maths challenges, and that you should ony put something like that if you got to subsequent rounds such as BMO 1 and 2, FIST etc... Although I have heard very mixed opinions on exactly how correlated BMO and Tripos performance are.
Original post by TheMagicMan
A guy I talked to at cambridge said one of the most common things on application were people saying they took the maths challenges, and that you should ony put something like that if you got to subsequent rounds such as BMO 1 and 2, FIST etc... Although I have heard very mixed opinions on exactly how correlated BMO and Tripos performance are.

When I applied (2009 entry) UCL gave more or less automatic offers to anyone who wrote on their PS that they got into BMO1 :colonhash:

Outside of Oxbridge, I'd say the applicant to offer rate for Maths courses are quite high (some like Warwick offer it to 93% of applicants).
Original post by L'art pour l'art
That's nice. I'm applying for Mathematics. Same with you, I'm assuming?

Wow how stupid I just realised what thread I'm on, I thought I was on the 'I'm applying to UCAS for 2012 entry' thread :s-smilie: Wow well now I seem stupid :tongue:
Original post by TheTallOne
When I applied (2009 entry) UCL gave more or less automatic offers to anyone who wrote on their PS that they got into BMO1 :colonhash:

Outside of Oxbridge, I'd say the applicant to offer rate for Maths courses are quite high (some like Warwick offer it to 93% of applicants).

I just put olympiads on my PS since I went through to the Junior one, one or two IMOK (Cayley and ... can't remember now), Kangaroo and BMO1. Seems unfair to just put BMO1 since it took some effort to get into the others as well. :smile:
Original post by hassi94
Wow how stupid I just realised what thread I'm on, I thought I was on the 'I'm applying to UCAS for 2012 entry' thread :s-smilie: Wow well now I seem stupid :tongue:
Just when I thought I was cool enough to give the impression that I wasn't applying for maths! :mad: :tongue:

Latest