The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .Ali.
Haha none taken. :tongue:

And no, I don't say chundered. Myself and my friends say "banter" and variations of it like "banterbury" though lol. :tongue:

*shaking my head*

I remember in my first few days at UCL everyone seemed nice and normal and I was thinking "ahh I avoided the rahs" until I started hearing words like "chunder" and "banter" and I was like "nooooooooooo"
Original post by djgoebbels
If that's true I'm a bit afraid about fitting in at Nottingham. I'm starting my course at Nottingham Uni in a month and I come from a working class background.

Well, I can't possibly be the only one non-rah there (happy thoughts, happy thoughs) :smile:

I'm sure you'll be fine. I was surprised because we had a mates 21st (he's doing biomedical science there) and all his mates that came up were lovely. It was slightly different at the university though!
Original post by Pete's Dragon
Also, the websites of the top public schools like Harrow, St Pauls, Radley etc list where their students go to university every year.

lol @ how Harrow School website doesn't even bother with having a token black guy on the site.
Reply 303
We all love that posh snatch.
Reply 304
Original post by Computerised
lol @ how Harrow School website doesn't even bother with having a token black guy on the site.

I just completely cracked up.

Anyway, a little anecdote for you; I was talking to a guy from Harrow on an RAF visit and I told him I went horse riding (don't worry, state comp here :wink:) and he replied 'I have an Arabian palomino. Do you have horses?'

I was like: :hmmm:
Original post by Davsters
I just completely cracked up.

Anyway, a little anecdote for you; I was talking to a guy from Harrow on an RAF visit and I told him I went horse riding (don't worry, state comp here :wink:) and he replied 'I have an Arabian palomino. Do you have horses?'

I was like: :hmmm:

loooooool we have xboxes, they have Arabian palomino horses.
Reply 306
Original post by 2nd_slip
We all love that posh snatch.

Most of the people on this thread are here to find out where the smart snatch is. I know I am.
Reply 307

I have neither!

Totally forgot I even made this thread!
Reply 308

Game of Black Ops? Same as my username on here. :tongue:

Cheers for the offer man :smile: , I recently sold my xbox though due to lack of use. Is black ops good? I never bought it as i thought it was just a repeat of mw2

If I get another one i'll add you.
Reply 311
Cheers for the offer man :smile: , I recently sold my xbox though due to lack of use. Is black ops good? I never bought it as i thought it was just a repeat of mw2

It's alright, I've had fun playing it which is all I look for in a game. Just wait until the games this autumn come out and get one of those (MW3, Battlefield 3)

If I get another one i'll add you.

I look forward to it.
*shaking my head*

I remember in my first few days at UCL everyone seemed nice and normal and I was thinking "ahh I avoided the rahs" until I started hearing words like "chunder" and "banter" and I was like "nooooooooooo"

I thought UCL was quite rah-free. Most of the London universities are, I think. :tongue:
Original post by VintageJasmine
I thought UCL was quite rah-free. Most of the London universities are, I think. :tongue:

They are. That was just an isolated incident. While everyone there is public school or at least grammar school. I saw only one "half-rah"
Is there a statistcs website that actually tells us which university admitted the most public school kids?
Reply 315
Original post by TickTackToe
Is there a statistcs website that actually tells us which university admitted the most public school kids?

According to PUSH the top ten universities with the most undergraduates educated at private schools are;

1. Courtauld Institute of Art, London
2. Royal Agricultural College
3. Royal Veterinary College, London
4. St George's, University of London
5. Royal College of Music
6. University of Oxford
7. University of Cambridge
8. Imperial College, London
9. University College, London
10. Lampeter, University of Wales
Interestingly, the top 10 destinations over the last 6 years, for the most rah place I know, (Cheltenham College) is:

1. University of Leeds (47)
2. University of Newcastle (33)
3. University of Manchester (33)
4. University of Bristol (26)
5. University of Nottingham (26)
6. Durham University (24)
7. University of Cambridge (21)
8. University of Exeter (21)
9. Cardiff University (20)
10. University of Bath (20)
Original post by JACKKDINE
According to PUSH the top ten universities with the most undergraduates educated at private schools are;

1. Courtauld Institute of Art, London
2. Royal Agricultural College
3. Royal Veterinary College, London
4. St George's, University of London
5. Royal College of Music
6. University of Oxford
7. University of Cambridge
8. Imperial College, London
9. University College, London
10. Lampeter, University of Wales

The first 3 are funny. Desperately hoping they get into jobs that will keep them in the upper-middle class.
Reply 318
Well, it depends what you count as 'posh'. London Unis have loads and loads of rich International students. Speaking from experience, as someone who is an international student at Durham, LSE/UCL/Kings etc. may not have as many British rahs as say Oxbridge or Durham but the international students in London can tend to throw their money around. Poorer international students who want to study in England generally try to stay away from London due to the higher cost of education (i.e. a science subject can close about 24000 in pounds as opposed to 11000 pounds for an art subject) and the higher cost of living.

But if we're just looking at Brits, Durham alone has pleeeenty. I haven't really encountered anyone who's snobby and up-them-selves about it though. The rahs here, even if they're from Kensington and Chelsea, still buy stuff from Primark.
Original post by .Ali.
Haha none taken. :tongue:

And no, I don't say chundered. Myself and my friends say "banter" and variations of it like "banterbury" though lol. :tongue:

To be fair me and my friends all now say chundered because we make fun of it then start actually using it ourselves. The same thing happened with 'banter' - many variations including bantersaurus rex and archbishop of banterbury too.

But let me add we're all northern at a very average/below average state school and I've never seen a single one of my friends wearing Jack Wills - and I'm not branded whatsoever (only branded clothing I've ever bought has to be on sale to the same price as regular unbranded - and actually look just as good or better).

EDIT: Also I realise your post is reaaaaally old but I just saw it and wanted to reply. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending