The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shinobi93
That's the other reason she's visiting me... People should at least pretend they want to see me :P

Yea my friend who is in love with Emma Watson was like "I'm so coming to Oxford to visit Emm.....you...I'm coming to visit you....how far is Worcester from your college?" :ninja:
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
I hope so! And if not ... I'll seek you out and you can babble at me :tongue:

I'll be the one in the St Hugh's JCr babbling and scaring people off!
I read my college handbook and it suggests buying an ethernet cable to connect my laptop with the ethernet port that is in every room. But it also says the whole college has wi-fi coverage, is it likely I can just request the wi-fi username and password - rather than buying an ethernet cable?

(I also know nothing about technology.)
Reply 3283
Original post by rahyahrah
I read my college handbook and it suggests buying an ethernet cable to connect my laptop with the ethernet port that is in every room. But it also says the whole college has wi-fi coverage, is it likely I can just request the wi-fi username and password - rather than buying an ethernet cable?

Ethernet might be faster than wifi, but if the wifi coverage is really over the whole college I guess you could go without.
Reply 3284
So far the extent of my uni shopping is 2 mugs and a cushion. Might be needing to get my act together - thank god we've got ages!

Also, what date are people arriving in oxford? my college says get there on the 4th october, but since its a tuesday both my parents are working!. .and doesn't freshers start on the 2nd anyway?
Original post by rahyahrah

Sometimes they mean the college has wifi, but not the rooms.

Ok that makes no sense.

Basically at my college, wifi works in the JCR, TV room, library, on the quads, tuck shop, in tutorial rooms, but not in most bedrooms (for lack of better word).

The only time wifi worked in my room (despite it being only 2 floors above a large classroom) was when I didn't turn my laptop off after leaving the library. If I tried to log on to wifi from in my room, it wouldn't let me.

Just buy an ethernet cable - then you've got all bases covered. They aren't exactly expensive.

Oh and sometimes our library's wifi cuts out (never during the day when IT are in, always at like 1am or later), but plugging in your ethernet cable works.
Reply 3286
Original post by Anon1993
So far the extent of my uni shopping is 2 mugs and a cushion. Might be needing to get my act together - thank god we've got ages!

Also, what date are people arriving in oxford? my college says get there on the 4th october, but since its a tuesday both my parents are working!. .and doesn't freshers start on the 2nd anyway?

0th week starts on Sunday so there'll be freshers events from then onwards. If you need to move in at weekend, ask the college if you can move in early. If they don't let you, pack a single suitcase or holdall to get you through freshers week and have your parents bring everything else up in time for the start of term.
Thanks for the help, I'll reread the college handbook about internet access and buy an ethernet cable anyway.

Not all colleges have the same arrival dates - if that's when you are told to arrive, then that's when you should.

Often it's because of space for unloading and stuff - for colleges close together having all their first years arrive on the first day would be mayhem.

You may be able to ask to arrive earlier - email the college.

Freshers at Oxford isn't really like Freshers Week at other unis... Hate to break it to you.

It's all organised around your college, so although other colleges might have their first night out on the 3rd, you won't be missing out because no one from your college is. If that makes sense.

I haven't bought anything yet! Every seems to be going uni shopping all the time now :p:
Went 'Uni-shopping' today to get lever arch files. I got lever arch files, but once I got them home I realised they were too big! TOO BIG! Who makes them that big? They were like monster files. Seeing as I now have to return them, the result of my four-hour shopping trip is a pack of file dividers and a pencil sharpener. -.-
Original post by Poppyxx
Not all colleges have the same arrival dates - if that's when you are told to arrive, then that's when you should.

Often it's because of space for unloading and stuff - for colleges close together having all their first years arrive on the first day would be mayhem.

Freshers at Oxford isn't really like Freshers Week at other unis... Hate to break it to you.

It's all organised around your college, so although other colleges might have their first night out on the 3rd, you won't be missing out because no one from your college is. If that makes sense.

on Facebook our Freshers rep said some of our activities were mixed and that most club nights were inter-college, I assumed he meant we all went out together is this wrong?
Reply 3292
Original post by billieerin23
on Facebook our Freshers rep said some of our activities were mixed and that most club nights were inter-college, I assumed he meant we all went out together is this wrong?

Intercollege in the sense that your college won't have booked out a club, but you'll be starting with people from your college, and the cameraderie-building activities will be college-focused.

Or so I'd imagine. :ninja:

What I meant was there's not one big night every night, which every fresher goes to...

There's like a timetable - all the clubs are hosting a night every night of the week, and different colleges are going to each on different nights.

If that makes sense.

So Oriel might go to Camera on Tuesday (with Hughs and Teddy Hall), but Exeter will go to Camera on Wednesday (with Pembroke and Merton).

For example.

So yes they are inter-collegiate.

There's no big Freshers Ball or last night.

You will also, probably, have college bops which will be exclusively for you.

What I really meant when I said Oxford freshers week is slightly different, is that you'll probably get your first essay which will be due in Week 1. None of my friends at other unis were given any work in Freshers week.
Original post by dbmag9
Intercollege in the sense that your college won't have booked out a club, but you'll be starting with people from your college, and the cameraderie-building activities will be college-focused.

Ahhhh ok that make smore sense now. I think we do have some shared activities (there was something about a joint St hugh's St Anne's sports day, kiddie style!) but i get what he meant about clubbing now.
Reply 3295

No it's not wrong, they organise club nights so a few colleges will go to the same club on a certain night.
Original post by dbmag9

yep that's right.

Probably start in your college bar - and I didn't meet anyone from other colleges in Freshers. Beyond school friends and their new 'friends'.

Freshers Week is very artificial.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3297
Original post by Poppyxx

Yeah, i emailed about a week ago but haven't heard back :/ and ahh, i was wondering about the different start dates - i didn't realise freshers would be so college orientated! Thanks for the info though :smile:
and wait. .so my freshers week isn't even a whole week? D:

*EDIT* . .AND YOU GOT WORK DURING FRESHERS?!?!?!?! what course/college are you at? is this normal for oxford :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3298
Original post by BJack
0th week starts on Sunday so there'll be freshers events from then onwards. If you need to move in at weekend, ask the college if you can move in early. If they don't let you, pack a single suitcase or holdall to get you through freshers week and have your parents bring everything else up in time for the start of term.

I may have to do that! Thanks! :smile:
Reply 3299
Original post by soutioirsim
I haven't bought anything yet! Every seems to be going uni shopping all the time now :p:

Same! Im a last minute kind of person :') plus, I have no idea what to take!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending