The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sainsburys never have any jobs in my local store!!
Reply 9341
Sainsbury's Local's don't often recruit due to the sheer number of dual contracts in place - so there's not often a need to recruit any new colleagues, as the current ones shift about that much [I know that in my store, around 60% of the colleagues are students - works perfectly, as when the students leave to go back home, and sales inevitably fall by around 60%, so does the labor costing].

So yeah, its sometimes better to apply for a supermarket and move onto convenience later. Although in convenience, you're expected to know much more. With all due respect to those CSA's that work in supermarkets on specific departments, you guys don't need to know nearly as much as the CSA's that work in the convenience store I have to :P As a team leader, I also have to learn sooo much more. Its worth it though
Reply 9342
Original post by Ruby-Soho
Hi all

I've recently been offered a job as a Team Leader for a new store opening in November. I have my induction on 5th , 6th and 7th of Sept and was wondering if anyone who has worked in new stores know how long before the store opens i'll be likely to start?

Also , if anyone has any information , experiences of a Team Leader role i'd be really greatful to hear them! :smile:

you will go into the store to set up, normally 1-2 weeks before the opening date. exciting times those are, not knowing where everything is and putting them out.
If I need to move a chunk of my holiday from september time to october time do I need to speak to my manager or go to HR?
Original post by stargirl92
If I need to move a chunk of my holiday from september time to october time do I need to speak to my manager or go to HR?

Get a change holiday form from HR fill it out with the date you want to change and hand it too your manager who will see if you can change it. They will sign it and hand it into HR for you.
Original post by xangelinax
Get a change holiday form from HR fill it out with the date you want to change and hand it too your manager who will see if you can change it. They will sign it and hand it into HR for you.

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 9346
Did any of you guys take a cv in with you for the interview? Not sure whether I need it :smile:
Original post by Kayla94
Did any of you guys take a cv in with you for the interview? Not sure whether I need it :smile:

I took mine in but they didn't look at it. Might just have been my interviewer's decision not to look at it, I dunno.

You might as well take it in with you just in case.
Reply 9348
I'm going to have to phone in sick again tomorrow. I've managed to hurt my neck & I still can't move it, I did this saturday morning and had to phone in that morning too. This only counts as one absence though doesn't it?

This is going to be my fourth absence this year :/ Am I going to get a warning?

I've been off with sickness on two seperate occassions and then had a day off when I was in a car crash on the way to work and now this ...

I don't think they believe me but I'm in so much pain it's unbelievable...

What happens after 4 absences? Is its anything to worry about?

Thanks
Reply 9349
Yeah, no harm in bringing it anyway. Thankyou!
Reply 9350
can a 16 year-old work on the counter at sainsburys? i will be 17 soon though about 3weeks. Iv got an interview but i dont know if at my age i can work on the counter.
Original post by hasm
can a 16 year-old work on the counter at sainsburys? i will be 17 soon though about 3weeks. Iv got an interview but i dont know if at my age i can work on the counter.

I thought you had to be 18, but if you've got an interview then surely you must be old enough, otherwise what's the point in interviewing you?
Original post by Kedix
I'm going to have to phone in sick again tomorrow. I've managed to hurt my neck & I still can't move it, I did this saturday morning and had to phone in that morning too. This only counts as one absence though doesn't it?

This is going to be my fourth absence this year :/ Am I going to get a warning?

I've been off with sickness on two seperate occassions and then had a day off when I was in a car crash on the way to work and now this ...

I don't think they believe me but I'm in so much pain it's unbelievable...

What happens after 4 absences? Is its anything to worry about?

Thanks

When this year was you other absences? The manager doing your return to work might give you a warning and it might be taken to a displineary but if you say you really are in so much pain then that cant be helped, can it? Could you even go to the doctors and get some sort of sick line to prove to them that you were hurt?
Reply 9353
Original post by hasm

You have to be 18. This happened to someone I know too that got an interview but didn't realise that they had to be 18. You should probably let them know as soon as possible :smile:
Reply 9354
When this year was you other absences? The manager doing your return to work might give you a warning and it might be taken to a displineary but if you say you really are in so much pain then that cant be helped, can it? Could you even go to the doctors and get some sort of sick line to prove to them that you were hurt?

I've been off in October, February, May and now :/ I'm not registered with a doctors here because im registered with my uni doctors. I guess I'm going to get a disciplinary but there's npt much I can do about it now :frown: ... Cutting my hours down in 3 weeks can not wait lol.

Thanks for the reply.
Original post by Kedix
I've been off in October, February, May and now :/ I'm not registered with a doctors here because im registered with my uni doctors. I guess I'm going to get a disciplinary but there's npt much I can do about it now :frown: ... Cutting my hours down in 3 weeks can not wait lol.

Thanks for the reply.

I think you might be ok...You're allowed 3 absences a 'year' so if that means calendar year your October one shouldn't count. If its a financial year, then your February one shouldn't count either. :smile:

I could be wrong though...
Reply 9356
Original post by JemMills

Original post by hasm

Original post by JemMills
You have to be 18. This happened to someone I know too that got an interview but didn't realise that they had to be 18. You should probably let them know as soon as possible :smile:

someone said to me that i can work on the counter but cannot sell anything requires proof of age e.g. alcohol.
What do you think i should do?
Original post by Kedix

Thanks for the reply.

Original post by Debbie2709
I think you might be ok...You're allowed 3 absences a 'year' so if that means calendar year your October one shouldn't count. If its a financial year, then your February one shouldn't count either. :smile:

I could be wrong though...

It's exactly this, the new year for being absent started in mid March.
Reply 9358
It's exactly this, the new year for being absent started in mid March.

I thought it was a rolling year. From if you had a day off today it would expire 31/08/2012
Reply 9359
Original post by hasm
someone said to me that i can work on the counter but cannot sell anything requires proof of age e.g. alcohol.
What do you think i should do?

You can't work on the counter, in the restaurant or sell alcohol unless you are 18 :smile: The reason you cannot work on the counter until you are 18 is because of the use of dangerous machinery and knives etc.

I think you should contact Sainsburys before your interview and let them know.

Latest