The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
Hmm could send them an email I suppose! I know L100 is around 14:1

Original post by nightmare91
14:1, damn that's high. But LSE is even worse :tongue: In case you choose to send them an email, let me know if you get an answer :wink:

Yeah can you let me know to, would be interesting :smile: Tateco, is that 14:1 aplications: places, or applications: offers, because wouldn't a lot of people reject UCL for LSE and oxbridge?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2081
Original post by crazy1234
Yeah can you let me know to, would be interesting :smile: Tateco, is that 14:1 aplications: places, or applications: offers, because wouldn't a lot of people reject UCL for LSE and oxbridge?

" Each year we receive approximately 2600 applications for 180
places, "

My bad :redface:
Original post by Tateco
" Each year we receive approximately 2600 applications for 180
places, "

My bad :redface:

Haha no problem :smile:, but they would probably make about 400 offers I would guess(only because so many people have it as an 2nd/3rd choice), so about 1:7 then at a guess, wich isn't as bad...
Reply 2083
Original post by crazy1234
Haha no problem :smile:, but they would probably make about 400 offers I would guess(only because so many people have it as an 2nd/3rd choice), so about 1:7 then at a guess, wich isn't as bad...

You think half would reject a UCL offer? It's so hard to guess, I don't know how admissions tutors work out how many offers to give!
Believe it or not, Oxford is a safer bet for me than UCL...I mean, the acceptance rate is quite the same (I am looking at UCL Economics and Oxford E&M) and UCL is very demanding with my qualification, whereas Oxford has surprisingly low expectations...I know that there might be a difference in the caliber of the applicants between the two, but I guess it is negligible at this level...

Oh...another thing...can you guys suggest me some backup choices that I should consider, I mean I have visited the UK and some campuses, but they were all from top 10 unis (Oxbridge, Bath, Durham, Warwick)...I need a backup choice and I don't know how low should I go in the tables, I don't even know if they are reliable for the not so competitive ones...However, I'm not willing to go lower than top 30, in that case I'd rather study in my country and save the expenditure. I was thinking about York, but they don't have many people from my country there, so I'm not sure...

Damn...long post!:colone:
Original post by Tateco
If you end up getting an offer for one and then turn it down because you "don't want a gap year" they probably won't look on it too kindly

They will ask the question upfront in the interview and if you clearly tell them that you are hoping to do xyz course in A,B,C universities and if you do not get an offer than you plan to take a gap year and apply again. This way it is a fair game. :smile:
Reply 2086
Original post by freakonomist
Believe it or not, Oxford is a safer bet for me than UCL...I mean, the acceptance rate is quite the same (I am looking at UCL Economics and Oxford E&M) and UCL is very demanding with my qualification, whereas Oxford has surprisingly low expectations...I know that there might be a difference in the caliber of the applicants between the two, but I guess it is negligible at this level...

Oh...another thing...can you guys suggest me some backup choices that I should consider, I mean I have visited the UK and some campuses, but they were all from top 10 unis (Oxbridge, Bath, Durham, Warwick)...I need a backup choice and I don't know how low should I go in the tables, I don't even know if they are reliable for the not so competitive ones...However, I'm not willing to go lower than top 30, in that case I'd rather study in my country and save the expenditure. I was thinking about York, but they don't have many people from my country there, so I'm not sure...

Damn...long post!:colone:

My boyfriend went to Loughborough to do Maths and Economics and loved it. Stayed there to also do Masters and then PHD. I looked around campus and it seemed pretty brilliant :biggrin:.
Reply 2087
Original post by Tateco
If you end up getting an offer for one and then turn it down because you "don't want a gap year" they probably won't look on it too kindly

Yeah I know. I was hoping, if they do give me an offer, and I get offers for university I would just ask to defer it. Can that be done like this? That way, I possibly would've guaranteed one or the other :biggrin:
Thank you, I'll consider it. It is very difficult for a non-UK student like me to pick a backup choice, IMO...the requirements for my qualification are chaotic, Oxford is on a par with Glasgow and Qmul, so I can't rely on them as a decisive factor . In my country, for example, Manchester is a very trendy uni, there are a lot of students who go there, but I am fully aware that there are better unis for econ, even though I might not have heard of them...I plan to do a research for the best backup for me, but I am too lazy atm :colondollar: so I settle for asking others for opinions

Original post by Sashari
My boyfriend went to Loughborough to do Maths and Economics and loved it. Stayed there to also do Masters and then PHD. I looked around campus and it seemed pretty brilliant :biggrin:.
(edited 12 years ago)

Same for me as a German applicant! UCL gives out insane offers for Econ. The equivalent of like A*A*A* or 43-45 points in the IB. I don't quite get why... Maybe they don't want us internationals there :biggrin: Oxford's offer is lower but still quite high.

You said that you won Maths competitions and stuff like that? Maybe the Cambridge course would suit you better because it is more mathsy. The Oxford course is quite qualitative compared to the quantitative Cambridge course. Therefore having won such competitions may impress Cambridge tutors more than Oxford tutors because they like good mathematicians. :smile:
Same for me as a German applicant! UCL gives out insane offers for Econ. The equivalent of like A*A*A* or 43-45 points in the IB. I don't quite get why... Maybe they don't want us internationals there :biggrin: Oxford's offer is lower but still quite high.

You said that you won Maths competitions and stuff like that? Maybe the Cambridge course would suit you better because it is more mathsy. The Oxford course is quite qualitative compared to the quantitative Cambridge course. Therefore having won such competitions may impress Cambridge tutors more than Oxford tutors because they like good mathematicians. :smile:

Haha yes, I've heard that they prefer asian students over EU, but I thought it was just a rumour... Do you think Oxford tutors won't care for my maths awards? ouch.
Reply 2091
Thank you, I'll consider it. It is very difficult for a non-UK student like me to pick a backup choice, IMO...the requirements for my qualification are chaotic, Oxford is on a par with Glasgow and Qmul, so I can't rely on them as a decisive factor . In my country, for example, Manchester is a very trendy uni, there are a lot of students who go there, but I am fully aware that there are better unis for econ, even though I might not have heard of them...I plan to do a research for the best backup for me, but I am too lazy atm :colondollar: so I settle for asking others for opinions

Go on the UCAS website. You can look up ALL the universities that offer economics there, check their grade requirements and ask people about them here :smile:
Original post by Sashari
Go on the UCAS website. You can look up ALL the universities that offer economics there, check their grade requirements and ask people about them here :smile:

At what uni do you go, if you don't mind???
Haha yes, I've heard that they prefer asian students over EU, but I thought it was just a rumour... Do you think Oxford tutors won't care for my maths awards? ouch.

Don't care is a hard thing to say. Because it is still impressive! But the Maths grade or ability (unlike at Cambridge and LSE for instance) doesn't play such a big role for E&M at Oxford. Of course you have to be good at maths but for that particular course you don't have to be as good at Maths as let's say for the Cambridge course. Especially the first year at Oxford is mainly essay writing plus an introduction to the Maths involved in economics. At Cambridge or LSE they will focus more on maths. So my assumption is that if you are as talented at Maths as your competitions and olympiads indicate, then Cambridge or LSE may suit you better. The tutors will definetely be impressed at Cambridge. At Oxford they will still find it impressing in some way but I don't believe it could favour your application as much as it would at Cambridge :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Don't care is a hard thing to say. Because it is still impressive! But the Maths grade or ability (unlike at Cambridge and LSE for instance) doesn't play such a big role for E&M at Oxford. Of course you have to be good at maths but for that particular course you don't have to be as good at Maths as let's say for the Cambridge course. Especially the first year at Oxford is mainly essay writing plus an introduction to the Maths involved in economics. At Cambridge or LSE they will focus more on maths. So my assumption is that if you are as talented at Maths as your competitions and olympiads indicate, then Cambridge or LSE may suit you better. The tutors will definetely be impressed at Cambridge. At Oxford they will still find it impressing in some way but I don't believe it could favour your application as much as it would at Cambridge :smile:

I got you, but for some reason I think that Oxford is the place for me, plus I hate small towns, even though Cambridge was lovely... Anyways, the chances of getting into Oxbridge are small, but hey, everybody has the right to hope. What are your 5 choices?
I got you, but for some reason I think that Oxford is the place for me, plus I hate small towns, even though Cambridge was lovely... Anyways, the chances of getting into Oxbridge are small, but hey, everybody has the right to hope. What are your 5 choices?

If you like Oxford better, then apply to Oxford :wink:.

My five choices are:

Oxford for E&M
Warwick for Econ
UCL for Stats, Econ and Finance
LSE for Econ (not sure about this one)
Durham for Econ.

You'd be surprised. Most tutors and colleges place huge emphasis on mathematical ability for PPE let alone E&M.
If you like Oxford better, then apply to Oxford :wink:.

My five choices are:

Oxford for E&M
Warwick for Econ
UCL for Stats, Econ and Finance
LSE for Econ (not sure about this one)
Durham for Econ.

Oh...you're aiming for the best, I see! You play hard, guess that's why you wanted me to go for Cam lol...jk, I know you had good intentions :smile: how far into the application process are you? I haven't even written my PS yet. (it's still just a bunch of messy ideas)
Original post by StarChamber
You'd be surprised. Most tutors and colleges place huge emphasis on mathematical ability for PPE let alone E&M.

I'm just saying what an Econ tutor at Merton told me :smile:. Because someone asked whether FM is a preferred subject and the tutor said it is not. It is good to have because it'll make it easier for you in the second year but it is in no way as important as at Cambridge or LSE. If you don't have FM for the Econ course at LSE for instance, you'll have a hard time...
Reply 2099
Original post by myyout
Yeah I know. I was hoping, if they do give me an offer, and I get offers for university I would just ask to defer it. Can that be done like this? That way, I possibly would've guaranteed one or the other :biggrin:

Best bet would be to contact the universities you are interested in to be 100% sure :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending