The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2100
Original post by nightmare91
I'm just saying what an Econ tutor at Merton told me :smile:. Because someone asked whether FM is a preferred subject and the tutor said it is not. It is good to have because it'll make it easier for you in the second year but it is in no way as important as at Cambridge or LSE. If you don't have FM for the Econ course at LSE for instance, you'll have a hard time...

Careful when taking information for one college and applying to all, when I asked Cambridge colleges for their stance on further maths they gave contradictory information.
Original post by freakonomist
Oh...you're aiming for the best, I see! You play hard, guess that's why you wanted me to go for Cam lol...jk, I know you had good intentions :smile: how far into the application process are you? I haven't even written my PS yet. (it's still just a bunch of messy ideas)

Haha no I just want that you know the difference between the Oxford and Cambridge course and whether Cambridge might suit you better :smile:. I'll have lots of competition anyways, whether you apply or not :tongue:
I have finished my PS and have seen the first draft of my teacher's reference. He has to improve some things in the reference though :tongue:
Original post by Tateco
Careful when taking information for one college and applying to all, when I asked Cambridge colleges for their stance on further maths they gave contradictory information.

That is probably true! But if even the prospectus doesn't list FM under 'helpful subjects' it does say something about their attitude towards maths :wink:.
Original post by Tateco

Original post by Tateco

This. Plus people often exaggerate how mathematical a course is. Usually after first year you can pick and choose modules to reflect how much you wish to do.

I wouldn't dismiss Oxford like that :smile: But yes, you are right in the sense you probably won't even get into LSE without FM.
Haha no I just want that you know the difference between the Oxford and Cambridge course and whether Cambridge might suit you better :smile:. I'll have lots of competition anyways, whether you apply or not :tongue:
I have finished my PS and have seen the first draft of my teacher's reference. He has to improve some things in the reference though :tongue:

Good job. I guess you are ready to apply on the 15th.
Good job. I guess you are ready to apply on the 15th.

Hopefully! I have so much to do right now! Exams are coming up already :s-smilie: Wish you good luck with your application though! If you have any further questions on Oxford and E&M, feel free to ask me. I might not know everything but I think due to my visit and talks with current students and tutors I know quite a bit :smile:
Hopefully! I have so much to do right now! Exams are coming up already :s-smilie: Wish you good luck with your application though! If you have any further questions on Oxford and E&M, feel free to ask me. I might not know everything but I think due to my visit and talks with current students and tutors I know quite a bit :smile:

Thank you, hopefully we'll be college buds next year, although I think I'm going to submit an open application...
Thank you, hopefully we'll be college buds next year, although I think I'm going to submit an open application...

Would be great to see you :smile: Hopefully in December we can all have our TSR reunion in Oxford :biggrin:. But if you really don't know and also don't really care what college you go to, then make an open application. Especially if you haven't visited the place.
Reply 2108

You may as well choose! Even if it's just based on which one looks the nicest, an open application just gets randomly allocated to a college!
Would be great to see you :smile: Hopefully in December we can all have our TSR reunion in Oxford :biggrin:. But if you really don't know and also don't really care what college you go to, then make an open application. Especially if you haven't visited the place.

I visited the place two years ago and I was thinking about St John's, but no, I don't actually care that much...as long as it is Oxford, it's fine with me. :biggrin:
Original post by Tateco
You may as well choose! Even if it's just based on which one looks the nicest, an open application just gets randomly allocated to a college!

Is it that random?

sorry for double post
Reply 2111
Is it that random?

sorry for double post

Well if it's the same as Cambridge yes.... they just allocate you to a random college and it's as if you applied to that college in the first place.
I visited the place two years ago and I was thinking about St John's, but no, I don't actually care that much...as long as it is Oxford, it's fine with me. :biggrin:

Oh you visited it? Then if you like St. John's you may as well pick it. But an open application is almost as random as a direct application to a college. Most candidates get pooled to other colleges anyways. So I'd suggest: If you like St. John's, pick it, it's an excellent college and so beautiful!!! If you don't care at all and would be happy at any college, make an open application :smile:
Reply 2113
At what uni do you go, if you don't mind???

I'm not at uni yet. Applying for 2012 :smile:
Original post by Sashari
I'm not at uni yet. Applying for 2012 :smile:

Oh, sorry. What are your choices then?
Reply 2115
Oh, sorry. What are your choices then?

Haha, don't apologise :tongue:.
Quite like you I still haven't quite figured it out.
But so far I have: LSE, Warwick, Loughborough, And then either Bristol or Nottingham or maybe Essex for back up. But i don't want to go to Essex :tongue:.
Original post by Sashari
Haha, don't apologise :tongue:.
Quite like you I still haven't quite figured it out.
But so far I have: LSE, Warwick, Loughborough, And then either Bristol or Nottingham or maybe Essex for back up. But i don't want to go to Essex :tongue:.

I know, I'd rather go for a lottery like LSE than a backup choice that I know I'm not going to anyways(I know a guy who goes to Essex for Law btw)...LSE is so competitive, and London based, it's a dream, but I guess applying to both Oxford and LSE would be silly of me...
Reply 2117
I know, I'd rather go for a lottery like LSE than a backup choice that I know I'm not going to anyways(I know a guy who goes to Essex for Law btw)...LSE is so competitive, and London based, it's a dream, but I guess applying to both Oxford and LSE would be silly of me...

Of course not! Shoot for the moon and you'll land among the stars! it's just if you were accepted to both, which one would you chose? I spoke to a couple of lecturers from Essex and went to their presentations and I didn't get a good feel off of them (I want to do Economics and Maths by the way) :smile:.
Reply 2118
Where does it say that UCL will ask for UMS for 2012 entry?

I've decided on 4:

Warwick (L100)
UCL (L100)
Nottingham (L100
City (L100) - As a back up

UMS: Maths 94%, Chemistry 90%, Physics 83%, Economics 81% (AS Further Maths next year, dropping Chemistry)

Still not sure about Cambridge, was thinking of Emma, but with Tateco and Groat applying there, I might not even get an interview!
Original post by somaiyar
Where does it say that UCL will ask for UMS for 2012 entry?

I've decided on 4:

Warwick (L100)
UCL (L100)
Nottingham (L100
City (L100) - As a back up

UMS: Maths 94%, Chemistry 90%, Physics 83%, Economics 81% (AS Further Maths next year, dropping Chemistry)

Still not sure about Cambridge, was thinking of Emma, but with Tateco and Groat applying there, I might not even get an interview!

Don't be put off applying by what you see on here. I'm still planning on applying to Emmanuel even after reading this thread and my UMS are similar to yours (my subjects aren't as good). As long as your personal statement is good you should get an interview and who knows from there.

Latest

Trending

Trending