The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Haven't been on this thread in a while...

I think I've decided on UCL, Bath, York, and 2 from Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol

Original post by somaiyar

Still not sure about Cambridge, was thinking of Emma, but with Tateco and Groat applying there, I might not even get an interview!

^ this also crossed my mind :rofl:
Reply 2121
Original post by jamiepango
Haven't been on this thread in a while...

I think I've decided on UCL, Bath, York, and 2 from Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol

^ this also crossed my mind :rofl:

Nice choices :smile: How's your PS coming along?
I know that maybe I shouldn't put this here, but what do you think about my 1 month intership at raiffeisen bank? yeah, I know it's stupid and has nothing to do with economics, but I thought that I shouldn't miss the opportunity and go there, I had free time anyway...so, should I put it in my PS? I think I can make it work.
Reply 2123
Original post by freakonomist
I know that maybe I shouldn't put this here, but what do you think about my 1 month intership at raiffeisen bank? yeah, I know it's stupid and has nothing to do with economics, but I thought that I shouldn't miss the opportunity and go there, I had free time anyway...so, should I put it in my PS? I think I can make it work.

If you can make it read well, I can't see why it wouldn't be a sound addition to any PS! :u:
Original post by Tateco
Nice choices :smile: How's your PS coming along?

Long time no see... Well done on your results by the way :biggrin:

Not too bad, I've done a first draft and I'll look to edit it maybe once or twice before college starts and I get it looked over. How about you?
Reply 2125
Original post by Groat
I haven't come on this thread in a while, then I see all of this!

Apply to the college you like the most, even if it is Emmanuel. :sexface:

Yeah I do really like Emma! I guess candidates like you are super focused and determined! It just scares you when you see some of the stunning UMS scores people are getting on here (95% +)
Original post by Groat
If you can make it read well, I can't see why it wouldn't be a sound addition to any PS! :u:

The best thing is that I don't have any connections, I actually 'won' it at an essay competition. However, I don't think the tutors will see it as a relevant work experience for econ
Original post by Groat

UCL have emailed me saying they are asking for UMS, to answer your other post.

Will they be sending a separate form like Cambridge or do we need our references to state them?
Reply 2128
Original post by freakonomist
The best thing is that I don't have any connections, I actually 'won' it at an essay competition. However, I don't think the tutors will see it as a relevant work experience for econ

There is very little relevant economic work experience. If Tim Harford can make the question: Is it wrong to fake orgasms? economics related, then I am very sure you can make a work placement relevant.
Reply 2129
Will they be sending a separate form like Cambridge or do we need our references to state them?

They weren't too clinical in this response, suggesting to put it in the UCAS form. When I told them there was no space for UMS, they said get your referee to state them to ensure the process is smooth. They weren't clear how much detail needed to be given.
Original post by Groat
There is very little relevant economic work experience. If Tim Harford can make the question: Is it wrong to fake orgasms? economics related, then I am very sure you can make a work placement relevant.

haha good one...I guess I'll mention it then. :biggrin:
Reply 2131
Long time no see... Well done on your results by the way :biggrin:

Not too bad, I've done a first draft and I'll look to edit it maybe once or twice before college starts and I get it looked over. How about you?

Thanks, you too.

Sounds good, make sure you post it in the help forums on here, they have been invaluable for me!
I think mine is pretty much done now, just need to get a few more opinions on it!
Reply 2132
Original post by Tateco
Thanks, you too.

Sounds good, make sure you post it in the help forums on here, they have been invaluable for me!
I think mine is pretty much done now, just need to get a few more opinions on it!

Yeah, I personally feel mine is done. It's just my insecure self that needs other people to tell me it's good. :colondollar:
Original post by Groat
They weren't too clinical in this response, suggesting to put it in the UCAS form. When I told them there was no space for UMS, they said get your referee to state them to ensure the process is smooth. They weren't clear how much detail needed to be given.

Hmm, surely this method will lead to other universities seeing your UMS too? I guess seeing as it's their first year of asking, they haven't quite sorted it out yet...
Original post by Tateco
Thanks, you too.

Thanks will do! :smile:
Reply 2135
Hmm, surely this method will lead to other universities seeing your UMS too? I guess seeing as it's their first year of asking, they haven't quite sorted it out yet...

What are your UMS like? If they're good then it will only boost your application even if they don't ask for them :smile:
Reply 2136
Original post by Groat
There are going to be people with those scores in every college. (Although I doubt there'd be that many with much better) It's just a coincidence me and Tateco are both applying to Emmanuel and are regular posters here.

High UMS doesn't mean an offer, but it's certainly looked at. If you can feel you are in the top 180 candidates for Economics at Cambridge, you may as well apply! :u:

UCL have emailed me saying they are asking for UMS, to answer your other post.

Thanks for answering the UCL UMS question! Maths is the main subject they look at anyways. I was just glad to achieve the A A A A I was predicted, but an A2 prediction of A*AA (A* in Maths), along with a decent PS, a solid reference should hopefully be enough to get to the interview stage.

But in my personal statement, I have gone with a running theme in Economics (the eurozone crisis), Im not sure whether it should have a particular angle or not. Ive gone off the idea of talking about the financial crisis too much because im sure there must be thousands of candidates who say the financial crisis is what made them interested in the subject
Reply 2137
I heard that Bristol are GCSE nazis, anyone know if this is true?

Also i personally don't see the point in applying to top unis for 4 places and then a ABB or AAB university for an insurance, i'd rather get rejected and try again next year than go to university that wasn't really that good. (Thats why I'm really hoping the Nottingham offer stays at AAA)
Original post by Tateco
You think half would reject a UCL offer? It's so hard to guess, I don't know how admissions tutors work out how many offers to give!

Yes I do think half would reject it, as they would have offers from oxbridge, LSE, and some may reject it for Warwick. I just had a look at TAELT and that suggests 600 offer for 180 places, which sounds crazy. Wouldn't want to be an admission tutor working out how many offers to give :smile:
Original post by crazy1234
Yes I do think half would reject it, as they would have offers from oxbridge, LSE, and some may reject it for Warwick. I just had a look at TAELT and that suggests 600 offer for 180 places, which sounds crazy. Wouldn't want to be an admission tutor working out how many offers to give :smile:

Well, if they're econometricians/applied statisticians then they should be good at working out this kind of thing. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending