The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTallOne
Ok, from 2009 figures so about 1/3 of people with an offer firm Warwick and of those about 30% end up at Warwick in October. However, Oxbridge/Warwick/Imperial/Bristol/UCL/LSE/Durham are all very common choices for applicants and each of them (save Oxbridge) will have to offer at least three times the number of places they have. At an approximate applicants per place ratio of 7.5 - that's 40% of applicants getting an offer. If we then take into account some people miss this offer this figure could be more around 50%.

I just very much doubt that they have to offer 3 times the number of places - people aren't THAT likely to miss offers. Yes with Warwick very few people will firm, because they give anyone an offer which is quite high, so all the Oxbridge mathmos will firm them and wouldn't take Warwick as a backup either.

Your points aren't very coherent so I'm not 100% sure what you're saying - it seems like you're skipping past phrases and explanations and rushing your points. Sorry if I sound like I'm undermining you - I just keep getting confused when reading your posts.
Original post by ms93
I don't get how that answers my questions? :colondollar:

His signature that appears below his post contains this:

"GCSE'z:
"BUNCH OF A*'S"<<<<JC
"**** GCSE'Z"<<<<<<STELF

A LEVELZ:
"WEN I SAW MY RESULTS SHEET....ALL I COULD SAY WAS JHEEEEEEEZE!"<<<<<<<P MONEY

A LEVEL RESULTS (AS):
MATHS- A*
F MATHS- ?
F ADD MATHS- ?
BIOLOGY- ? (A)
CHEMISTRY- ? (A)
PHYSICS- ? (A)

UNI'z for MATHS:
CAMBZ, WARWICK, IMPERIAL, UCL & KINGZ

FEEL FREE TO PM ME "

Which says his grades and his choices.
Reply 1062
Original post by hassi94
His signature that appears below his post contains this:

"GCSE'z:
"BUNCH OF A*'S"<<<<JC
"**** GCSE'Z"<<<<<<STELF

A LEVELZ:
"WEN I SAW MY RESULTS SHEET....ALL I COULD SAY WAS JHEEEEEEEZE!"<<<<<<<P MONEY

A LEVEL RESULTS (AS):
MATHS- A*
F MATHS- ?
F ADD MATHS- ?
BIOLOGY- ? (A)
CHEMISTRY- ? (A)
PHYSICS- ? (A)

UNI'z for MATHS:
CAMBZ, WARWICK, IMPERIAL, UCL & KINGZ

FEEL FREE TO PM ME "

Which says his grades and his choices.

Ohhhh right, thank you for that :biggrin:
Am new to this so I didn't understand what he was saying! :smile:
Original post by ms93
Ohhhh right, thank you for that :biggrin:
Am new to this so I didn't understand what he was saying! :smile:

No problem don't worry about it! :smile:

Rahul is an odd one though, his signature is awfully odd and he has several times threatened that if he finds out where I live he will come and gun me down... :tongue:
Original post by ms93
I don't get how that answers my questions? :colondollar:

k wt grades im getting....got a* in a level maths already...and 3 a's for all three sciences AS. uni chooses are cambridge, warwick, imperial, ucl and kings. u? :colone:
Original post by hassi94
Rahul is an odd one though, his signature is awfully odd and he has several times threatened that if he finds out where I live he will come and gun me down... :tongue:

Indeed, but it wouldn't be TSR without him :tongue:
Original post by hassi94

:biggrin: Im odd in nature....when I punch man, I will leave their jawside uneven :colone:

anwayz...im guessing your applying maths at cambridge? :smile: if we both get in.....you should see my gun very soon :colone:
Original post by Xero Xenith
Indeed, but it wouldn't be TSR without him :tongue:

:colone:
Original post by Rahul.S
:biggrin: Im odd in nature....when I punch man, I will leave their jawside uneven :colone:

anwayz...im guessing your applying maths at cambridge? :smile: if we both get in.....you should see my gun very soon :colone:

It'd be a shame if you got in and then got kicked out for illegal possession of a weapon... So please hold back your gangster beatings and I do hope I won't see your gun.
How good/bad are my chances of mathematics and philosophy next year application with only a B in Further maths for my A levels. Looking at A* in Psychology, A or A* in Maths and probably a B in Further Maths. AS this year A in maths, B in Further maths, A in psychology and b in physics, GCSE 8 A* 5A and a C :smile: hope that's enough info and not too much :P
Original post by hassi94
It'd be a shame if you got in and then got kicked out for illegal possession of a weapon... So please hold back your gangster beatings and I do hope I won't see your gun.

looooool.....im from a place where people roll with guns and roll white sheets :colone: when i was at cambridge for my residental stay...i was lighting a zuggy with a few students there.....cambridge is more ghetto than you think! the only time i've
ever been kicked out is a mw2 lobby (from shu :colone:).

anyways....wt college you applying for?
Original post by hassi94
I just very much doubt that they have to offer 3 times the number of places - people aren't THAT likely to miss offers. Yes with Warwick very few people will firm, because they give anyone an offer which is quite high, so all the Oxbridge mathmos will firm them and wouldn't take Warwick as a backup either.

Your points aren't very coherent so I'm not 100% sure what you're saying - it seems like you're skipping past phrases and explanations and rushing your points. Sorry if I sound like I'm undermining you - I just keep getting confused when reading your posts.

Assumptions:
7.5 applicants per place (Imperial was 7.2 for 2010 entry).
One in three offers are firmed
Some (say 20%) of people who firm miss offers and no people enter via insurance, every one applies without deferred entry.

So, make an offer to 50% of applicants, 16.6% of the total applicants firm it, 13.3% of total applicants meet it - ie 7.5 applicants per place.

Rationale:
1/3 of offers firmed: You apply to similar universities with very little to differ between them. If you get an offer from one university it is very likely that another 2 of the five would give you an offer. Essentially it's a random decision whether you might choose Bristol over Durham over UCL.

Missing offers: I think it's very generous to say 80% of people who firm meet their offer.

Applicants per place: I've taken a rough estimate from Imperial's admissions stats. Yes, Bristol (offers A*(M)AA or A(M)A(FM)A) has something nearer 13 applicants per place, but Durham (A*A(M/FM)A) has 8 applicants per place so I think it's a fair assumption.

The above assumptions are horrendously flawed but I just did some digging and brought up some interesting results:
Durham are very open with admissions figures so according to this site so you can actually have a look at a department application numbers, the number of offers, the number of replies (be it firm or insurance) and the number of AS12's (ie incoming students).

For the 2009-10 admissions cycle, Durham had:
1145 applicants, of which they made
507 offers (be it conditional or unconditional), of which
273 firmed or insured, of which
143 entered Durham either in 2010 or deferred to 2011.

So Durham (with a comparatively easier A*AA offer) made offers to 44.3% of applicants, of which 53.8% of them firmed or insured and of them 52.4% eventually got into Durham - giving 8 applicants per place. That's still a high offer percentage, no?
Reply 1072
Original post by hassi94

LOL! Good luck in staying alive then! :P
Reply 1073
Original post by Rahul.S
k wt grades im getting....got a* in a level maths already...and 3 a's for all three sciences AS. uni chooses are cambridge, warwick, imperial, ucl and kings. u? :colone:

WOW =\ Well done! Aren't you doing further maths though?
Nottingham, Kings, UCL, Birmingham and Leicester :smile:
Original post by ms93
WOW =\ Well done! Aren't you doing further maths though?
Nottingham, Kings, UCL, Birmingham and Leicester :smile:

ive done 2 exams for further...so dont have an as or a2 in it :frown: i will though in january have an as in f maths and f add maths :colone: not applying oxbridge? and warwick is missing as well :eek:

kings and ucl are nice :biggrin:
Reply 1075
Original post by Rahul.S
ive done 2 exams for further...so dont have an as or a2 in it :frown: i will though in january have an as in f maths and f add maths :colone: not applying oxbridge? and warwick is missing as well :eek:

kings and ucl are nice :biggrin:

Oh right well done :smile: Im doing my whole AS and A2 further maths this coming year along with my A2 maths, a lot of work! :\ But it needs to be done! Yeah I don't think I'd be a strong enough candidate for those universities :smile: Kings and Nottingham are my favourites for the moment :biggrin:
Original post by TheTallOne
Assumptions:
7.5 applicants per place (Imperial was 7.2 for 2010 entry).
One in three offers are firmed
Some (say 20%) of people who firm miss offers and no people enter via insurance, every one applies without deferred entry.

So, make an offer to 50% of applicants, 16.6% of the total applicants firm it, 13.3% of total applicants meet it - ie 7.5 applicants per place.

Rationale:
1/3 of offers firmed: You apply to similar universities with very little to differ between them. If you get an offer from one university it is very likely that another 2 of the five would give you an offer. Essentially it's a random decision whether you might choose Bristol over Durham over UCL.

Missing offers: I think it's very generous to say 80% of people who firm meet their offer.

Applicants per place: I've taken a rough estimate from Imperial's admissions stats. Yes, Bristol (offers A*(M)AA or A(M)A(FM)A) has something nearer 13 applicants per place, but Durham (A*A(M/FM)A) has 8 applicants per place so I think it's a fair assumption.

The above assumptions are horrendously flawed but I just did some digging and brought up some interesting results:
Durham are very open with admissions figures so according to this site so you can actually have a look at a department application numbers, the number of offers, the number of replies (be it firm or insurance) and the number of AS12's (ie incoming students).

For the 2009-10 admissions cycle, Durham had:
1145 applicants, of which they made
507 offers (be it conditional or unconditional), of which
273 firmed or insured, of which
143 entered Durham either in 2010 or deferred to 2011.

So Durham (with a comparatively easier A*AA offer) made offers to 44.3% of applicants, of which 53.8% of them firmed or insured and of them 52.4% eventually got into Durham - giving 8 applicants per place. That's still a high offer percentage, no?

Okay thanks for the clarification. If that's true then yes it does seem quite high - I never knew it to be so. I believe Bristol offer a very low percentage though, similar with Bath I believe.
Original post by ms93
Oh right well done :smile: Im doing my whole AS and A2 further maths this coming year along with my A2 maths, a lot of work! :\ But it needs to be done! Yeah I don't think I'd be a strong enough candidate for those universities :smile: Kings and Nottingham are my favourites for the moment :biggrin:

only you would know which universities you have a good chance in getting in :biggrin: yes thts 9 exams :colone: do you do edexcel for maths?
Reply 1078
Original post by Rahul.S
only you would know which universities you have a good chance in getting in :biggrin: yes thts 9 exams :colone: do you do edexcel for maths?

Yep Edexcel :biggrin: you?
did edexcel not get a complaint from the government for easy a level maths? and would this not mean they will make it extremeli hard for us year 12s?

Latest