The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It's actually easier for me to afford to live in London for uni than anywhere else because of the higher loans and very generous bursaries from the uni, something to think about.

Do any of you go to king eds stourbridge, because a few of you have said brum uni is too close and you do geology a level?
Reply 41
Original post by Zottula
London isn't as expensive as people make it out to be. Imperial has some very cheap rooms in halls. You also get a bigger loan for London which is more than enough for me (and I don't get any grants or anything). The university offers various bursaries and scholarships too. Of course, if there is a course you prefer elsewhere then fair enough, I'm just saying don't rule out London because there are some excellent universities there.

I'll keep that in mind:smile: Just my school said it wouldn't be possible (I go to private school on a full bursary cos I'm from a single parent family with an annual income of around £10,000 and three children so we're pretty poor in UK standards):s-smilie: I might apply to study geology at Imperial instead of applying to Birmingham . . . but I don't know whether I'd need more of an insurance option as if I did the same at A2 as I have done at AS I would have 3 A*'s and an A which means a 3 A offer would be fine but A2's are meant to be harder and I'm not dropping a subject:confused:
Reply 42
Original post by abemco
I'll keep that in mind:smile: Just my school said it wouldn't be possible (I go to private school on a full bursary cos I'm from a single parent family with an annual income of around £10,000 and three children so we're pretty poor in UK standards):s-smilie: I might apply to study geology at Imperial instead of applying to Birmingham . . . but I don't know whether I'd need more of an insurance option as if I did the same at A2 as I have done at AS I would have 3 A*'s and an A which means a 3 A offer would be fine but A2's are meant to be harder and I'm not dropping a subject:confused:

If that's your family income you will get a lot of financial support. I don't get extra financial support but the higher loan is enough for me, so I think Imperial could be an option for you. Clearly you are exceptional academically. Definitely look into it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
At the open day they I was talking to this girl and she was like living in london isn't more expensive, its just easier to spend alot :smile: As long as your careful and you budget. And you get all the advantages of london like free museums and galleries :smile:
Hi everyone! I'm going to be applying to geology in 2012, and I'm really looking forward to the prospect of studying it. I really like the look of Oxford, Imperial and Bristol (although I haven't actually visited there yet). I'm not too sure about other choices though, I'm thinking Southampton (although someone told me they're very oceanography focused which I'm not too keen on), Leeds, UCL, Birmingham, Leicester... it's really difficult to narrow the choices down. Does anyone have any advice (especially people who have visited the ones listed)?
Reply 45
Original post by lukas1051
Hi everyone! I'm going to be applying to geology in 2012, and I'm really looking forward to the prospect of studying it. I really like the look of Oxford, Imperial and Bristol (although I haven't actually visited there yet). I'm not too sure about other choices though, I'm thinking Southampton (although someone told me they're very oceanography focused which I'm not too keen on), Leeds, UCL, Birmingham, Leicester... it's really difficult to narrow the choices down. Does anyone have any advice (especially people who have visited the ones listed)?

When I was applying my geology teacher told us not to apply to Bristol because past students that went there emailed him warning off other potential applicants because the department doesn't care about the students or something. That said it might of changed and if you like the look of it don't let it put you off too much, just something to consider.
I didn't visit Soton but people I know who applied and visited said the earth science department was all new and really nice and they really liked it.
UCL didn't have the feel I wanted, but it's worth a visit as I was sure I'd put it as my insurance if I got an offer, but when I went I felt like it wasn't the place for me, but it's all about if the place is right for you, so it may be worth checking out.
Birmingham is too close for me and I didn't want to stay near home. The campus is really nice as is the city and I have heard loads of great things about the department. Quite a few students from my sixth form go there each year to study geology.
Leicester surprised me as I wasn't expecting to like it, but I really did. The department was really friendly and have great facilities, campus was nice and close to the city centre.

Obviously I loved imperial haha, bit biased, but again it was where felt right for me. I went thinking I'd be really intimidated, but I felt so welcomed and everyone was so friendly I was determined to get in.

I don't really know about Oxford, but I visited the city and one of the colleges (merton) on a school trip once and it was a lovely city and the campus was soo nice. I can only imagine the course to be great too.

Hope this helps a bit :smile:
Original post by mickiesal
When I was applying my geology teacher told us not to apply to Bristol because past students that went there emailed him warning off other potential applicants because the department doesn't care about the students or something. That said it might of changed and if you like the look of it don't let it put you off too much, just something to consider.
I didn't visit Soton but people I know who applied and visited said the earth science department was all new and really nice and they really liked it.
UCL didn't have the feel I wanted, but it's worth a visit as I was sure I'd put it as my insurance if I got an offer, but when I went I felt like it wasn't the place for me, but it's all about if the place is right for you, so it may be worth checking out.
Birmingham is too close for me and I didn't want to stay near home. The campus is really nice as is the city and I have heard loads of great things about the department. Quite a few students from my sixth form go there each year to study geology.
Leicester surprised me as I wasn't expecting to like it, but I really did. The department was really friendly and have great facilities, campus was nice and close to the city centre.

Obviously I loved imperial haha, bit biased, but again it was where felt right for me. I went thinking I'd be really intimidated, but I felt so welcomed and everyone was so friendly I was determined to get in.

I don't really know about Oxford, but I visited the city and one of the colleges (merton) on a school trip once and it was a lovely city and the campus was soo nice. I can only imagine the course to be great too.

Hope this helps a bit :smile:

Thanks, that's really helpful. I have read good things about Bristol, and the geology department, but thinking back I think most of it may have actually been from the Bristol website. The course really does appeal to me however, they offer the year abroad which I would love to do, and the entry requirements make it seem like a good insurance choice.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but did you receive any feedback regarding your application to Imperial? Did you have an interview at all, if so what was it like? And what do you think really gained you your place? I'm unsure what to focus on in my personal statement, I've heard so many different things. Congrats on getting in by the way :smile:
Reply 47

What is UCL like? I couldn't go to the open day, and i emaield them to ask to look round the department but they said they dont do it for individuals. All i've heard is that its very different form imperial, and considering they have the same grade requirements and are both in london do you think its worth applying?
Reply 48
Thanks, that's really helpful. I have read good things about Bristol, and the geology department, but thinking back I think most of it may have actually been from the Bristol website. The course really does appeal to me however, they offer the year abroad which I would love to do, and the entry requirements make it seem like a good insurance choice.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but did you receive any feedback regarding your application to Imperial? Did you have an interview at all, if so what was it like? And what do you think really gained you your place? I'm unsure what to focus on in my personal statement, I've heard so many different things. Congrats on getting in by the way :smile:

Glad it helped. Yeah it's still a great uni so it would be a great insurance :smile:

I don't mind. No I didn't recieve any feedback. If they don't reject you straight away you will definitely be called for interview. They hold a number of interview days where they'll be about 15 or so people all interviewing the same day for place on one of the courses in the earth science department. My interview didn't really question my knowledge of geology. She asked me about my accounting a level and was surprised by what it actually entailed ( a lot more than people actually think LOL) and she asked me to describe a recent field trip and that was about it. I think it's always good to ask question at an interview so I made sure to ask and I asked about the year abroad and what options there were etc, so they might have liked that I enquired about the course. Oh, actually I've just remembered I was asked a really horrible question in the interview. She asked me what made the department so different to all the other earth science departments. I was like whattt? :s-smilie:. So I told her how I liked the friendliness blah blah etc and she said ' Yes but what I was aiming at was the fact that we are the only university to combine earth science and engineering in a department'. At the time I thought I'd flunked the interview, but looking back it really wasn't bad at all, because I still answered her question and we were chatting quite well for the rest of the interview. But there's a fact to know if you decide to apply haha. Although each interviewer is different as my friend was asked all about her knowledge of plate tectonics etc.
As for what secured me my place, I think it was probably references (my geology teacher wrote our rankings for AS year and I was ranked 6th out of 54 students, so that might have impressed them), interview (as long as you don't come across with no personality and disinterested it probably hasn't gone that bad) and my personal statement. I had done volunteer work with the earth heritage trust and had wrote about a book I read. I can send you my PS if you like?
Just be yourself in your PS and related ANY thing you can to how it's relevant to geology. I did a junior sports leadership award in year 10 and made this sound like great preparation for a geology course haha.
I thought I'd never be able to write a personal statement so you'll definitely be fine and with your grades you'll be sure to get an offer, good luck, any more questions just ask :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by lilliehear
What is UCL like? I couldn't go to the open day, and i emaield them to ask to look round the department but they said they dont do it for individuals. All i've heard is that its very different form imperial, and considering they have the same grade requirements and are both in london do you think its worth applying?

Having already been to visit imperial and fell in love with it, everywhere else I visited had to live up to that standard, so I wasn't crazy about it, but I could definitely see why people would want to study there, it just wasn't my kind of place. I felt like although I was in the centre of London I wasn't really in London at all :s-smilie: The department didn't have that same welcoming feel that Imperial had, although the students were really friendly and I suppose that's what makes it. The course however allows you to branch off in different directions to have a degree tailored to you if you want that. Although I felt like they were just constantly trying to tell us how much money they get and how well their research is perceived. The grade range is very different as it can be anywhere between AAA-ABB, some people on here got ABB offers but mine was AAB with the A's in maths and geology and that's what kind of broke the deal for me. Although I already knew it wasn't for me when I visited. Another thing to consider is that you're not guaranteed accommodation f you put it as your insurance choice, and then sometimes you'll be stuck in a house with other people in your position, but far away from halls and I was told my a student that she thinks this would be a disadvantage. So if you're not crazy about UCL or don't want it as your firm then you might be better off using that choice to apply for somewhere else you like. I only visited the interview day, had I visited before I probably wouldn't have applied. Although this all said it could be the perfect place for you, you just don't know until you visit. It has a very wide range of subjects at the uni which you may prefer as opposed to imperial, and the buildings are much more 'old looking/feel' and it feels more campus like than imperial, if you prefer that rather than a full on city campus. Also at UCL you can opt to live in intercollegiate halls as it's part of the university of london, which you might like and UCL has catered options as opposed to ICL which doesn't. Just thought I'd balance the argument out as I don't want to be seen as bashing UCL because it's a great university and they courses are great if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.
Glad it helped. Yeah it's still a great uni so it would be a great insurance :smile:

I don't mind. No I didn't recieve any feedback. If they don't reject you straight away you will definitely be called for interview. They hold a number of interview days where they'll be about 15 or so people all interviewing the same day for place on one of the courses in the earth science department. My interview didn't really question my knowledge of geology. She asked me about my accounting a level and was surprised by what it actually entailed ( a lot more than people actually think LOL) and she asked me to describe a recent field trip and that was about it. I think it's always good to ask question at an interview so I made sure to ask and I asked about the year abroad and what options there were etc, so they might have liked that I enquired about the course. Oh, actually I've just remembered I was asked a really horrible question in the interview. She asked me what made the department so different to all the other earth science departments. I was like whattt? :s-smilie:. So I told her how I liked the friendliness blah blah etc and she said ' Yes but what I was aiming at was the fact that we are the only university to combine earth science and engineering in a department'. At the time I thought I'd flunked the interview, but looking back it really wasn't bad at all, because I still answered her question and we were chatting quite well for the rest of the interview. But there's a fact to know if you decide to apply haha. Although each interviewer is different as my friend was asked all about her knowledge of plate tectonics etc.
As for what secured me my place, I think it was probably references (my geology teacher wrote our rankings for AS year and I was ranked 6th out of 54 students, so that might have impressed them), interview (as long as you don't come across with no personality and disinterested it probably hasn't gone that bad) and my personal statement. I had done volunteer work with the earth heritage trust and had wrote about a book I read. I can send you my PS if you like?
Just be yourself in your PS and related ANY thing you can to how it's relevant to geology. I did a junior sports leadership award in year 10 and made this sound like great preparation for a geology course haha.
I thought I'd never be able to write a personal statement so you'll definitely be fine and with your grades you'll be sure to get an offer, good luck, any more questions just ask :smile:

Thanks so much for the helpl. I think I'll be alright for my PS, it's just generally quite a daunting thing to do. :biggrin:
Reply 51
Thanks so much for the helpl. I think I'll be alright for my PS, it's just generally quite a daunting thing to do. :biggrin:

Yeah you'll be fine, once you start writing it you'll realise it's not that bad :smile:, good luck with you application.
Reply 52
Having already been to visit imperial and fell in love with it, everywhere else I visited had to live up to that standard, so I wasn't crazy about it, but I could definitely see why people would want to study there, it just wasn't my kind of place. I felt like although I was in the centre of London I wasn't really in London at all :s-smilie: The department didn't have that same welcoming feel that Imperial had, although the students were really friendly and I suppose that's what makes it. The course however allows you to branch off in different directions to have a degree tailored to you if you want that. Although I felt like they were just constantly trying to tell us how much money they get and how well their research is perceived. The grade range is very different as it can be anywhere between AAA-ABB, some people on here got ABB offers but mine was AAB with the A's in maths and geology and that's what kind of broke the deal for me. Although I already knew it wasn't for me when I visited. Another thing to consider is that you're not guaranteed accommodation f you put it as your insurance choice, and then sometimes you'll be stuck in a house with other people in your position, but far away from halls and I was told my a student that she thinks this would be a disadvantage. So if you're not crazy about UCL or don't want it as your firm then you might be better off using that choice to apply for somewhere else you like. I only visited the interview day, had I visited before I probably wouldn't have applied. Although this all said it could be the perfect place for you, you just don't know until you visit. It has a very wide range of subjects at the uni which you may prefer as opposed to imperial, and the buildings are much more 'old looking/feel' and it feels more campus like than imperial, if you prefer that rather than a full on city campus. Also at UCL you can opt to live in intercollegiate halls as it's part of the university of london, which you might like and UCL has catered options as opposed to ICL which doesn't. Just thought I'd balance the argument out as I don't want to be seen as bashing UCL because it's a great university and they courses are great if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

Wow lots of detail thanks :smile:
Yeah i may apply then, and just see what I think but more just becuase i really want to go to a london uni. I wish i could apply to 10 and make my decision after i get offers/rejections. Oh well...
Reply 53
Wow lots of detail thanks :smile:
Yeah i may apply then, and just see what I think but more just becuase i really want to go to a london uni. I wish i could apply to 10 and make my decision after i get offers/rejections. Oh well...

Yeah go for it if you want. To be honest I only wanted to go to imperial anyway so it didn't really matter what other four choices I put down haha.
Reply 54

I have been to open days at Oxford, Southampton and Birmingham as well as doing a headstart course at Southampton and work experience at Birmingham:biggrin:

Oxford is really nice, the Earth Sciences department is brand new and located in the science park and they have a brilliant natural history museum nearby. Only 7 colleges (Exeter, St Anne's, St Edmund Hall/ Teddy Hall, St Hugh's St Peter's, University and Worcester) offer Earth Sciences and you should probably visit to see if you have a preference or otherwise make an open application. I looked at St Anne's and St Hugh's with the latter being my favourite cos it's really light and open with nice grounds, a huge library and full time accomodation. The proffessors I spoke to were also friendly and said they were looking for passion.

Southampton is oceanography focused, they have a research boat and an oceanographic centre so if you're not interested then you should probably apply elsewhere. The accomodation is good as you get what you pay for and the main student facilities are nice with a cinema, swimming pool, gym and everything else you would expect, although they are in the centre of town so it may be a fair way to walk unless you take a bus.

Birmingham is the most well sign-posted uni I have visited to date so you wouldn't get lost:tongue: They have a good train service to and from the campus, accomodation and city centre. The Geology department is in the oldest part of the uni so has really high ceilings but is a bit dark - it's not my favourite. However, the Lapworth Museum is nice. If you're looking to get all A's or more at A level then Geology with an International Year (F601) is a good option (3 A offer) and apparently almost guarantees a first:smile:
Original post by abemco
I have been to open days at Oxford, Southampton and Birmingham as well as doing a headstart course at Southampton and work experience at Birmingham:biggrin:

Oxford is really nice, the Earth Sciences department is brand new and located in the science park and they have a brilliant natural history museum nearby. Only 7 colleges (Exeter, St Anne's, St Edmund Hall/ Teddy Hall, St Hugh's St Peter's, University and Worcester) offer Earth Sciences and you should probably visit to see if you have a preference or otherwise make an open application. I looked at St Anne's and St Hugh's with the latter being my favourite cos it's really light and open with nice grounds, a huge library and full time accomodation. The proffessors I spoke to were also friendly and said they were looking for passion.

Southampton is oceanography focused, they have a research boat and an oceanographic centre so if you're not interested then you should probably apply elsewhere. The accomodation is good as you get what you pay for and the main student facilities are nice with a cinema, swimming pool, gym and everything else you would expect, although they are in the centre of town so it may be a fair way to walk unless you take a bus.

Birmingham is the most well sign-posted uni I have visited to date so you wouldn't get lost:tongue: They have a good train service to and from the campus, accomodation and city centre. The Geology department is in the oldest part of the uni so has really high ceilings but is a bit dark - it's not my favourite. However, the Lapworth Museum is nice. If you're looking to get all A's or more at A level then Geology with an International Year (F601) is a good option (3 A offer) and apparently almost guarantees a first:smile:

Thanks, I actually went to a 5 day summer school at Oxford where I studied the earth science course, so I've got a really good feel for what it's like there (although I have no clue which college to apply for). I'm visiting Southampton on Friday, so I guess I'll see for myself, I suppose as long as you don't HAVE to take loads of oceanography modules it would be fine. I would really love to do a year abroad, but I've heard only the best of the best get the opportunity even if you apply, so I'm not putting my heart on it.
Original post by abemco
Have you looked round Durham? I didnt really like it but I'm not sure why, may apply anyway and go back for a second look. And what about UEA havent really looked at them. And don't worry about your subjects they sound fine, tbh i now wish i'd done chemistry instead of geology - the rest are the same though :tongue:

I haven't looked around Durham cos tbh I really want to go to Oxford and failing that Southampton so it's just a back up that my teachers and friends suggested! I've only properly looked at Oxford, Southampton and Birmingham but my parents both went to UEA and claim it was brilliant, and it's near the sea so can't be too bad :biggrin:

I second that lol I'm starting there in a few weeks for Earth Sciences, and Bham was my insurance they're both lovely found it hard to choose between the two for my firm.
If you have any questions about interviews for either, etc. just ask :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by makingamemory
I second that lol I'm starting there in a few weeks for Earth Sciences, and Bham was my insurance they're both lovely found it hard to choose between the two for my firm.
If you have any questions about interviews for either, etc. just ask :smile:

What made you charge UEA in the end then? Tbh I'd never heard of it before TSR, is that really bad? :tongue:
What made you charge UEA in the end then? Tbh I'd never heard of it before TSR, is that really bad? :tongue:

I had heard of it before as an advisor came to talk to our year last July before we started the process, but I thought she was just selling the uni because she was getting paid for it and was exaggerating. I honestly hadn't given it a second thought until I went to the open day and fell in love with it. The environmental department overlooks the broad and you can see down to the lake and I'm a sucker for landscapes haha.

Asides from the fact that UEA is much cheaper than Bham (£550 deposit + £4k for accommodation as opposed to no deposit, no first come first served accommodation, and £3.5k for accommodation with ensuite) I loved how broad their course is, and as I haven't taken either Maths or Chemistry Alevel they have extra classes added to help you, tiered to your ability. As I'm also keen in the environmental side I like how that is included in some modules and isn't just mainly geology.

If I remember correctly the staff to student ratio is 1:3, it is internationally recognised for it's research, there are a range of fieldwork from the surrounding areas in Norfolk to Devon in the first year. In your third year you can do a year in industry (which is what I have signed up for) or a year abroad in Europe, North America or Australasia. I remember from the speech we were given by the head of the department it's 5th in the world for Geoscience, and there isn't another European university within the top 20. (Which really surprised me if I'm honest, was expecting Oxford to be there). I know in general UEA is only in the top 20 and isn't as well known as other universities, but they're known for their Environmental department and I found during my interview they really cared about their students and as long as you're passionate and want to go there they'll see it and would rather you than a student who has had to resort to them for not meeting their requirements elsewhere. They definitely focus more on your ps and your passion, than your AS grades (especially mine! :tongue:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by makingamemory
I had heard of it before as an advisor came to talk to our year last July before we started the process, but I thought she was just selling the uni because she was getting paid for it and was exaggerating. I honestly hadn't given it a second thought until I went to the open day and fell in love with it. The environmental department overlooks the broad and you can see down to the lake and I'm a sucker for landscapes haha.

Asides from the fact that UEA is much cheaper than Bham (£550 deposit + £4k for accommodation as opposed to no deposit, no first come first served accommodation, and £3.5k for accommodation with ensuite) I loved how broad their course is, and as I haven't taken either Maths or Chemistry Alevel they have extra classes added to help you, tiered to your ability. As I'm also keen in the environmental side I like how that is included in some modules and isn't just mainly geology.

If I remember correctly the staff to student ratio is 1:3, it is internationally recognised for it's research, there are a range of fieldwork from the surrounding areas in Norfolk to Devon in the first year. In your third year you can do a year in industry (which is what I have signed up for) or a year abroad in Europe, North America or Australasia. I remember from the speech we were given by the head of the department it's 5th in the world for Geoscience, and there isn't another European university within the top 20. (Which really surprised me if I'm honest, was expecting Oxford to be there). I know in general UEA is only in the top 20 and isn't as well known as other universities, but they're known for their Environmental department and I found during my interview they really cared about their students and as long as you're passionate and want to go there they'll see it and would rather you than a student who has had to resort to them for not meeting their requirements elsewhere. They definitely focus more on your ps and your passion, than your AS grades (especially mine! :tongue:)

Thank you!!! Your very good at selling it :tongue: I might look into it then, but it does worry me that loads of people have never even heard of it, doesnt bode that well for employers. But it still sounds really good, and i like the environmental aspect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending