The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

About 33% if you're looking at angular velocity.
Original post by Mad Vlad

About 33% if you're looking at angular velocity.

Yeah I've already figured it's not going to be worth the added expense, just going to go for a 5400rpm one.

I've just been into a little independent computer store that I pass every day on the way to work for the first time, looking for an external hard drive. I though being a little place they'd be quite reasonably priced. £70 for a 750GB drive :l
Reply 9602
Anyone used one of these personal hotspots before? :holmes:

http://threestore.three.co.uk/payg/dealsummary.aspx?offercode=DSLPP527
Original post by Dez
Anyone used one of these personal hotspots before? :holmes:

http://threestore.three.co.uk/payg/dealsummary.aspx?offercode=DSLPP527

My Desire S can create a wireless hotspot:awesome:
Reply 9604
Original post by alexsheppard11
My Desire S can create a wireless hotspot:awesome:

So can my iPhone, but Orange are ****** **** ****** (insert expletives as necessary) and won't let me. And in any case, Orange's 3G coverage is fairly crap. I was considering this as an alternative to run t'interwebs on both the phone and my laptop when I need it, but I don't know how decent it is. Three have good coverage where I need to use it, but I'm a bit worried about the battery life... :erm:
Reply 9605
Original post by G8D
:erm:

Have you set up your phone to use T-Mobile signals?
Do you live on a farm?

Yes - and sort of. The idiots who live in my area signed a petition a few years back against the construction of a mobile pylon in the area. They were shocked when we categorically refused to sign it - on the grounds of actually wanting some mobile signal... :lolwut: Unfortunately, the petition went through and no mast was built, so now reception is incredibly dodgy.

But the main place I use 3G is on the Brighton main line, upon which Orange's coverage is shockingly terrible, even with T-Mobile added to the mix. Three works much, much better I've found, although the data is a bit more expensive than on Orange.
Has anybody ever ordered from PC World online? They told me my hard drive would be delivered in 3-5 days, it's now been 7. Hurry up dammit! :fuhrer:
=P
:facepalm2:

Therein lies your problem...

:facepalm2:

Therein lies your problem...

Meh, they've got 10% off all external HDDs at the moment, brought the price down for the drive I wanted lower than I could find it elsewhere.
Fair enough. I had presumed that price was the only mitigating factor there...

Fair enough. I had presumed that price was the only mitigating factor there...

Yeah it's normally the last place I look, but the offer brought the price right down. I've received an email from them saying it's been dispatched now anyway, so hopefully it won't take too long.
Original post by Dez
And in any case, Orange's 3G coverage is fairly crap.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily crap, but it is certainly desperately slow here in Edinburgh at least, even at full signal strength. I've opted to roam onto T-Mobile as well by the way.
Reply 9612
I keep flip flopping about with my choice for a new laptop, and I was just about to go and purchase a MBP, then I saw this :drool: http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/30/samsung-unveils-series-7-laptops-we-go-hands-on/
sigh have to wait till October now :frown:
Reply 9613
Original post by ch0llima
I wouldn't say it's necessarily crap, but it is certainly desperately slow here in Edinburgh at least, even at full signal strength. I've opted to roam onto T-Mobile as well by the way.

Well, I did say fairly crap, rather than outright crap. :p:
Original post by Jake9

I've just found out my grandmother's giving me a fairly large sum of money for when I start uni, and my maintenance loan will leave me with almost a grand after paying my accommodation at halls. I might have sufficient fundage to start building a gaming rig :woo:

Original post by Jake9
I keep flip flopping about with my choice for a new laptop, and I was just about to go and purchase a MBP, then I saw this :drool: http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/30/samsung-unveils-series-7-laptops-we-go-hands-on/
sigh have to wait till October now :frown:

It wouldn't have swayed me from the MBP, it would need OS X =P the hinge on the ethernet port's a nice idea though, I wouldn't be surprised to see more manufacturers doing something similar to decrease size.
just written a badass logon script...
instead of having to enter my windows 7 password at the logon screen and then wait for it to load, i am automatically logged on and then the computer is locked.

why- when i actually come to use the computer, it's effectively logged on :awesome:
Original post by G8D
That actually sounds really useful.

@ECHO OFF
%windir%\system32\ribbons.scr /s
rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation
CLS
EXIT

The %windir%\system32\ribbons.scr /s is an optional screensaver. Save as a bat file in your startup folder.

To bypass the initial logon screen, run netplwiz and uncheck the "users must enter a username and password box".
Magically, it still keeps your password.
Reply 9617
Original post by alexsheppard11
@ECHO OFF
%windir%\system32\ribbons.scr /s
rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation
CLS
EXIT

The %windir%\system32\ribbons.scr /s is an optional screensaver. Save as a bat file in your startup folder.

To bypass the initial logon screen, run netplwiz and uncheck the "users must enter a username and password box".
Magically, it still keeps your password.

For this, you win 1 Internet. Congratulations. :top:
Original post by Dez
For this, you win 1 Internet. Congratulations. :top:

:awesome:
Trying to speed up my SSD as much as possible and the welcome screen just had to go:p:
Original post by G8D
I got it :pierre:

:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending