The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield Guide: Public Transport

Scroll to see replies

greenly_greenly
Hi,
I'd like to know which bus should i go by from Ranmoor Village to School of Architecture, Crookesmoor Building? And how much will it charge per trip?

THX :smile:

There isn't a direct bus, it doesnt go close at all. I'd really recommend just walking (It's actually about the same distance away as the Student's Union). By the time you've waited for a bus and walked half the distance anyway you may as well just walk!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
mollymustard
There isn't a direct bus, it doesnt go close at all. I'd really recommend just walking (It's actually about the same distance away as the Student's Union). By the time you've waited for a bus and walked half the distance anyway you may as well just walk!

thanks, yes walking is the best way to me
Reply 82
BUS PASSES;

Stagecoach - £269 for the year. INCLUDES tram - available only directly from them.
- Stagecoach operate the 120 service into Sheffield city centre from Ranmoor and Endcliffe.
First - £700+ a year, no student discount - does not include tram.
- First operate the majority of busses in Sheffield but avoid!
apparently the closest big tesco's is called the sheffield infirmary tesco. Does anyone know how difficult/long it is to get there from ranmoor??? thanks
Original post by greengiant93
apparently the closest big tesco's is called the sheffield infirmary tesco. Does anyone know how difficult/long it is to get there from ranmoor??? thanks

You would have to either walk to the information commons or take a bus (50p with your uCard) and then get a tram from the uni tram stop to Infirmary Road. It's £1.50 for a single so £3 there and back. It takes 4 minutes on the tram according to their website, though it seems like longer when you're on the tram.

There might be buses that go there but I think you'd still have to go into town and change, and it'd take longer - but it might be a bit cheaper. There's another Tesco on Abbeydale road but I don't if that's bigger, or how to get there, though I have seen some people on here saying there's a bus that goes straight there.
Is it worth getting a Uni Rider Pass?
Original post by fortunecookie
Is it worth getting a Uni Rider Pass?

I wouldn't say so. It costs 60p for a single bus journey with your uCard so if you were only going to one place each day it's only £1.20 anyway. I've found I rarely use the bus service when I'm there because everything is within walking distance. If you were going to use the trams often it might be worth it because they're more expensive.
Just a quick note - some taxi companies now have a card reader in them, which is incredibly useful! I think its either Mercury or City, and if you want one, then ring up and specifically ask for one with a card reader.
Can someone help me? Is there a way to go directly from the train station to near Endcliffe? I know there's a bus that goes from Endcliffe to the Interchange (the 120), but I don't know where to catch it to go back?
Reply 89
yeah i just got this, it's across from the interchange on the road, in front of the adsetts centre
Original post by osean
yeah i just got this, it's across from the interchange on the road, in front of the adsetts centre

Thank you :smile: I'll have a look for it tomorrow when it's needed. +rep.
Reply 91
Original post by impossible!
Can someone help me? Is there a way to go directly from the train station to near Endcliffe? I know there's a bus that goes from Endcliffe to the Interchange (the 120), but I don't know where to catch it to go back?

You can get it from the interchange or from the stop outside McDonald's at the bottom of Fargate. It'll say Crimicar Lane on it (beware of 120s that say Hallamshire Hospital as they only go there and then turn round).
Original post by ArtGoblin
I wouldn't say so. It costs 60p for a single bus journey with your uCard so if you were only going to one place each day it's only £1.20 anyway. I've found I rarely use the bus service when I'm there because everything is within walking distance. If you were going to use the trams often it might be worth it because they're more expensive.

But the website (http://www.stagecoachbus.com/Sheffield%20unirider.aspx) says that it is only 89p a day if you use the unirider. So wouldn't that be better? Or is there a catch?
Original post by musicstudent
But the website (http://www.stagecoachbus.com/Sheffield%20unirider.aspx) says that it is only 89p a day if you use the unirider. So wouldn't that be better? Or is there a catch?

If you were to use the bus twice (or more) a day then it would be worthwhile getting the unirider - but most people really don't - walking saves money and most of your mates won't catch the bus every day.

I guess there is a catch with the unirider - it only works on Stagecoach. In Sheffield bus services are pretty evenly divided between Stagecoach and First. So if you got the 52 up to Crookes then you would maybe have to let a few First 52s pass before a Stagecoach one would come. If you wanted to catch the 120 to Ranmoor or Endcliffe then Stagecoach don't operate that route all the way up so a unirider would be pointless.
Original post by musicstudent

When I wrote that post I thought the fares had gone up to 60p because I was there in Grad Week, but they're actually still 50p. So it'd only be £1 a day. I guess the catch is that you probably won't use it every day. You'll be away from Sheffield for a lot of the year, you might not be in uni every day depending on the course, and everyone walks everywhere anyway.
Reply 95
Original post by ArtGoblin
When I wrote that post I thought the fares had gone up to 60p because I was there in Grad Week, but they're actually still 50p. So it'd only be £1 a day. I guess the catch is that you probably won't use it every day. You'll be away from Sheffield for a lot of the year, you might not be in uni every day depending on the course, and everyone walks everywhere anyway.

They're still 60p. (I live in Sheffield.)
Original post by n3hima
They're still 60p. (I live in Sheffield.)

That was grad week last year, and when I went back they were back down to 50p. When I left last month, Stagecoach and First were different prices - one was 60p and the other was 50p. I can't remember which was cheaper though.
They're both now 60p, went up around June time and the rumour I've heard is it's priming the pump for a much larger rise, possibly to £1
Reply 98
Its defo cheaper to get a unirider

Its only 195 - http://www.unibuspass.com/unirider-sheffield/
I will be taking the train from Newcastle when I move to Sheffield, I was just wondering if there will be taxis open to anyone outside of Sheffield station that I can take without booking to get to my accommodation or whether I will need to pre-book a taxi before I get there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending