The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cast.Iron
"The Occupier acknowledges the right of the College to enter the
Room at any time for the maintenance, cleaning and servicing of the Room, for
regular inspections and for emergencies."

I resent this.

The fact it makes it a licence doesn't matter. The college charges you at less than a usual lease price anyway.
Reply 2881
have the people going to magdalene sorted out accomodation yet?
Reply 2882
"The Occupier acknowledges the right of the College to enter the
Room at any time for the maintenance, cleaning and servicing of the Room, for
regular inspections and for emergencies."

I resent this.

May I know why you resent it?
Original post by kpatb

Cast.Iron
(Post full of resentment)

Don't worry about it - it very rarely happens. I've only had a guy in my room once, and that's when the lightbulb above my sink "went" (when I spoke to the Porter, he said "went where?" :rolleyes:) and I needed them to replace it. I got off pretty lightly - my neighbour across the corridor was informed that the college had found a water leak somewhere which was only accessible from her room! There was disruption for about a week, which wasn't great for the rest of us but must've been hell for her. Mind you, she did get a new carpet out of it. :biggrin:
Reply 2884
Original post by Tortious
Don't worry about it - it very rarely happens. I've only had a guy in my room once, and that's when the lightbulb above my sink "went" (when I spoke to the Porter, he said "went where?" :rolleyes:) and I needed them to replace it. I got off pretty lightly - my neighbour across the corridor was informed that the college had found a water leak somewhere which was only accessible from her room! There was disruption for about a week, which wasn't great for the rest of us but must've been hell for her. Mind you, she did get a new carpet out of it. :biggrin:

You've GOT to love the porters :rofl:

More funny porter stories:
When my boyfriend went for his interview, an American candidate and his suited up father were at the P'lodge. The father went to the porter and said "My son here's got an inn'erview today, so what should we do?" His son was in q uite a state apparently - very nervous.
and the porter replied (with the TOTALLY straight face): "Well then sir, I think you better teach him how to talk before then, sir."
:rolleyes:
(note: no offence meant to Americans or anything like that. I'm just trying to point out how Banter-ous the porters are :biggrin:)

Also, NAUGHTY TORTIOUS :eek: (I'm just kidding :biggrin:)

I don't think it would bother me, as long as they weren't in there every week or something.
Also, they know we're young people and we get up to all sorts - I don't think bedders or porters are the judgmental sort.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kpatb

I'm kidding, seriously :tongue:.
Bedders will generally knock before coming in, and believe me, they've seen it all before :tongue: I've had maintenance come round a few times to fix lights etc, but usually on request. There's only been a couple of times when I haven't requested it - someone came to test the water pressure in the shower, and someone came to clean windows (we were notified of this beforehand).
Original post by SoapyDish
Bedders will generally knock before coming in, and believe me, they've seen it all before :tongue: I've had maintenance come round a few times to fix lights etc, but usually on request. There's only been a couple of times when I haven't requested it - someone came to test the water pressure in the shower, and someone came to clean windows (we were notified of this beforehand).

I know one guy who forgot which day they come in and he happens to sleep naked. The woman knocked and walked in to see him sprawled on his bed. He decided to lie perfectly still and pretend to be asleep, and she cleaned his room and left. :lol:

It gets better though - the following week, he was determined not to let that happen again. He got up early, heard her knock at the door and went to answer it in his dressing gown. He opened it with a cheery "Hello!", before realising that he'd inadvertently caught his dressing gown on his fingertips before grabbing the handle, so he gave her another eyeful. :rofl:
I know one guy who forgot which day they come in and he happens to sleep naked. The woman knocked and walked in to see him sprawled on his bed. He decided to lie perfectly still and pretend to be asleep, and she cleaned his room and left. :lol:

Sounds familiar...When I get home after a night out, I'm often sober enough to get out of my clothes but too drunk to get into my pyjamas. This happened the first night of 2nd year, and my bedder came in at 8.30 the next morning. She's a very chatty lady. We had a 20 minute chat, with me hungover and holding the duvet up to cover myself as best as I could! So so so awkward!
Reply 2889
I'm kidding, seriously :tongue:.

Oh okay xD I wanted to know why that might be a problem because I'm quite a private person - I thought I had overlooked something. :biggrin:

Original post by Groat
Which college was that? The porter sounds brilliant!
The suiting up reminds me of the open day when pretentious people who had suited up were talking posh and dropping their names to the admissions tutors. As if that'd get them any further in the process. :clap2:

It was Kings :tongue: hahaha :biggrin:

To be honest, I LOVED Christ's porters at my interview. They were so friendly and they made me want to be their BFFs xD Although, when my mum went and talked to them about something, apparently they weren't too friendly - maybe they don't like parents and only talk to potential students :tongue:

There are always people in the world that get where they want by Who they know and not What they know. Unfortunately, that is the way of the world but I think Oxbridge are now a lot better at avoiding the above and generally stay away from it, so it shouldn't worry you.
Nowadays, I don't think interviewers care where you're from or who your relatives are, they care about your passion for their subject :smile:

Bedders will generally knock before coming in, and believe me, they've seen it all before :tongue:

After having read some online blogs about oxbridge, I'm sure the bedders have seen far far far worse than I have and I don't think they would really be startled by much xD
Reply 2890
Original post by Groat
I don't think my parents will come with me to Cambridge when I interview. It'd just make me more nervous and I've done more complicated things on my own, so I'm not sure why they should come! :colondollar:

My head of Sixth Form STRONGLY recommended that parents do not come with you, or if they do, "For God's sake, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T TALK TO THEM ON THE MORNING OF YOUR INTERVIEW." :tongue:

Me on the other hand, I took my parents with me - we made it a family holiday at the same time because we hadnt gone on holiday all together for a long time :tongue:

I even had coffee with them just about 20 minutes before my interview at Starbucks (THERE'S ONE RIGHT NEXT TO CHRIST'S! YAAAY :biggrin:) and I even went to have a Cornish Pasty with them inbetween my two interviews . But I really get along with my parents and I don't mind having them around at all.

It really depends on the individual and your family.
I find it quite calming to have my parents around, they also know how to act when I'm stressed and so I didn't mind. At the same time, some of my colleagues from school either went to Cambridge alone or they made sure they didn't talk to their parents on the day of their interview for fear of it becoming even more stressful.

You should just do what makes you feel most comfortable :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2891
Just visited Jesus college. It's nice!
My parents came with me, dropped me off at the college and went exploring until the evening when I was finished.

I would like to point out that they dropped me off in the ice on crutches with a broken leg :lolwut:

It gets better though - the following week, he was determined not to let that happen again. He got up early, heard her knock at the door and went to answer it in his dressing gown. He opened it with a cheery "Hello!", before realising that he'd inadvertently caught his dressing gown on his fingertips before grabbing the handle, so he gave her another eyeful. :rofl:

:rofl:
Reply 2894

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again"
Wtf... I must really like your posts and not realised xD
ALSO I didn't reply to your inbox because I didn't want to send you a really long reply again :tongue:

Sounds familiar...When I get home after a night out, I'm often sober enough to get out of my clothes but too drunk to get into my pyjamas. This happened the first night of 2nd year, and my bedder came in at 8.30 the next morning. She's a very chatty lady. We had a 20 minute chat, with me hungover and holding the duvet up to cover myself as best as I could! So so so awkward!

So goooood :biggrin:
xD
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kpatb
ALSO I didn't reply to your inbox because I didn't want to send you a really long reply again :tongue:

It's OK - I was only mildly offended. :emo:

(I'm kidding. :p:)

September tomorrow! :woo:
Reply 2896
It's OK - I was only mildly offended. :emo:
(I'm kidding. :p:)
September tomorrow! :woo:

Hahaha, I'm sorry!
I'll send you a shorter reply, in a bit :smile:

First day of the month... maybe I'll win a lottery. Bwahaha.
Original post by kpatb
Hahaha, I'm sorry!
I'll send you a shorter reply, in a bit :smile:

First day of the month... maybe I'll win a lottery. Bwahaha.

Seriously, it's fine - I've had loads of other stuff on, so I barely noticed. :p:

And I was more referring to the fact that then it'll only be 30 days until the magic happens! :biggrin:
Reply 2898
Original post by kpatb

So goooood :biggrin:
xD

We've started saying 'PRSOM' in CamChat.

'Cus we're cool like that.
Reply 2899
Original post by kpatb

It was Kings :tongue: hahaha :biggrin:

To be honest, I LOVED Christ's porters at my interview. They were so friendly and they made me want to be their BFFs xD Although, when my mum went and talked to them about something, apparently they weren't too friendly - maybe they don't like parents and only talk to potential students :tongue:

When I went for my interview, one of the porters patted me on the head and the other one gave me a chelsea bun :biggrin: It was like being at my gran's!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending