The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Does Freshers week continue into the following weekend or is it Monday to Friday because my Official College things (with registration times etc.) only had stuff scheduled Monday to Friday?
Original post by Anon1993

*EDIT* . .AND YOU GOT WORK DURING FRESHERS?!?!?!?! what course/college are you at? is this normal for oxford :s-smilie:

Er, yes. Yes it is :tongue:
*EDIT* . .AND YOU GOT WORK DURING FRESHERS?!?!?!?! what course/college are you at? is this normal for oxford :s-smilie:

Yup this is perfectly normal :P but it'll only be one essay/problem sheet depending on what subject you do, nothing terrible :smile:
Reply 3303
I didn't get much work during freshers, it will depend on your college/course/tutors.
Reply 3304
Original post by Festina lente
Er, yes. Yes it is :tongue:

So from the sounds of it, it's not even a full freshers week and it includes work!
I'm clinging on the idea that it has to still be a good few days, or surely oxford students would have complained about it :tongue:
Yeah, i emailed about a week ago but haven't heard back :/ and ahh, i was wondering about the different start dates - i didn't realise freshers would be so college orientated! Thanks for the info though :smile:
and wait. .so my freshers week isn't even a whole week? D:

PPE.

But it's normal.

So make sure you listen in those library inductions - you'll need them sooner than you'll think!

Original post by billieerin23
Does Freshers week continue into the following weekend or is it Monday to Friday because my Official College things (with registration times etc.) only had stuff scheduled Monday to Friday?

I haven't seen any planned events on the Saturday night - not by Varsity Events who organise most - although that may have changed since I saw the timetable.

But I think clubs will just have their normal nights on.

However, you will be SHATTERED by the weekend. I remember watching X Factor and going to a drinks thing hosted by the college boat club on the Saturday night, then falling asleep pretty early.

As for during the day - we had a rowing taster session on Saturday, and just a JCR welfare brunch on Sunday. So it'll be whatever your college has organised.

For everyone: There is no 'easing' into term at Oxford. Week 1 starts on Sunday, and it will be a full week of lectures and tutorials. 8 weeks is not a long time, so it's 'go go go' from the start.

We (as a JCR committee) recommend freshers have at least one night in during Freshers week - going out every night is fine, until tiredness and freshers flu hits you along with your essays and problem sets in Week One. In fact the higher beings at our college say we can only organise 3 nights out - but that doesn't include bops (so we can actually have 5 nights of 'going out', bit silly). Can't remember if the 3 nights is just Mon-Fri or includes the weekend.

ANYWAY your tutors will not care that you went and got totally gazeboed every night in Freshers - they expect full brainpower in Week One (although they will/should understand you need a bit of time to get used to how Oxford works).
So from the sounds of it, it's not even a full freshers week and it includes work!
I'm clinging on the idea that it has to still be a good few days, or surely oxford students would have complained about it :tongue:

Haha yes definitely! Quality not quantity :wink:

Also, what Poppyxx said.

Yup, completely normal. You will have a meeting with your tutors on (usually) the thursday of Freshers' and they will set you work. I was lucky in that my first essay was due in the following friday, so I had a week to get my act together, but it's entirely possible that you'll only have a few days. Get used to it - once you're into Oxford, it's pedal to the metal for all 8 weeks. Because that's how we roll :cool:

Original post by billieerin23

Due to the above problem with work, things usually come to a halt on the weekend. Term starts on sunday after all, and most people realise that saturday is better spent recovering. Poppyxx's advice is good - don't go out every night, seriously! By all means enjoy yourself, but don't take it to excess. The stuff put on by the JCR for non-clubbers is likely as good if not better than getting yourself mashed and then struggling with your first bits of work.
Original post by Incarnadine91
Yup, completely normal. You will have a meeting with your tutors on (usually) the thursday of Freshers' and they will set you work. I was lucky in that my first essay was due in the following friday, so I had a week to get my act together, but it's entirely possible that you'll only have a few days. Get used to it - once you're into Oxford, it's pedal to the metal for all 8 weeks. Because that's how we roll :cool:

Due to the above problem with work, things usually come to a halt on the weekend. Term starts on sunday after all, and most people realise that saturday is better spent recovering. Poppyxx's advice is good - don't go out every night, seriously! By all means enjoy yourself, but don't take it to excess. The stuff put on by the JCR for non-clubbers is likely as good if not better than getting yourself mashed and then struggling with your first bits of work.

Thanks to both of you for the replies I will make sure to spend one night in (although I don't drink so clubbing usually leaves me a little better off than it leaves my friends but I'll probably still be exhausted)
Original post by leahbroad
x

Hiya, sorry to call you back here, but I was just wondering if you have any advice about minifridges? Like... how small is too small, or if you can buy them second-hand somewhere at Oxford from a student who doesn't need their's anymore?
Reply 3310
Original post by barefootfiona
Hiya, sorry to call you back here, but I was just wondering if you have any advice about minifridges? Like... how small is too small, or if you can buy them second-hand somewhere at Oxford from a student who doesn't need their's anymore?

*wants to know this too*

Also I made a mini-fridge review thread for anyone with mini-fridge experiences to share their wisdom. :biggrin:
Original post by dbmag9
*wants to know this too*

Also I made a mini-fridge review thread for anyone with mini-fridge experiences to share their wisdom. :biggrin:

I've been researching like crazy but the best thing I've found is a 20-litre one on Argos for £46.66.

Ebay sometimes has them cheaper but I'm not sure I want to buy a second-hand fridge, especially since the saving is usually only £5 to £10 and you have to drive to pick it up.

Curry's doesn't have them as far as I can tell, and all the dedicated minifridge websites are nearing £100.
Reply 3312
I've been researching like crazy but the best thing I've found is a 20-litre one on Argos for £46.66.

Ebay sometimes has them cheaper but I'm not sure I want to buy a second-hand fridge, especially since the saving is usually only £5 to £10 and you have to drive to pick it up.

Curry's doesn't have them as far as I can tell, and all the dedicated minifridge websites are nearing £100.

I haven't yet looked very systematically, but I've seen some on the Currys website (they tend to be around the £100 mark). My worry is that I'll get something and then realise it will only just about hold six cans of Coke (although as long as there's space for gin, a bottle of tonic and a lime I'm reasonably happy). There also seem to be issues with drinks-specific fridges not technically being appropriate for food refridgeration.
Everyone's obsessed with mini-fridges!!! :biggrin:
Reply 3314
Original post by soutioirsim
Everyone's obsessed with mini-fridges!!! :biggrin:

They're fridges, yet they're small! They run on sparks of electricity, yet they are cold inside! You can't explain that, as Bill O'Reilly would say.
Original post by dbmag9
They're fridges, yet they're small! They run on sparks of electricity, yet they are cold inside! You can't explain that, as Bill O'Reilly would say.

Hahaha! :p: I get so fustrated watching him in youtube videos... :facepalm:

By the way, well done on the epicness which is your 45! :eek3:
Reply 3316
Original post by soutioirsim
By the way, well done on the epicness which is your 45! :eek3:

Thanks, I was pretty chuffed at the time. It's mostly luck, though.
Original post by dbmag9

Or as Reeves & Mortimer used to say: 'How does it work, Vic?' 'I dunno, Bob..but it does'
Original post by dbmag9
I haven't yet looked very systematically, but I've seen some on the Currys website (they tend to be around the £100 mark). My worry is that I'll get something and then realise it will only just about hold six cans of Coke (although as long as there's space for gin, a bottle of tonic and a lime I'm reasonably happy). There also seem to be issues with drinks-specific fridges not technically being appropriate for food refridgeration.

True, but I've been reading the reviews on the Argos website (which I really recommend reading) and it sounds like there have been people using them as fridges for several weeks, while their main fridge was out of use or broken, or using them as students, and I think that since we won't be keeping stuff in there for long periods of time it won't be a problem. A milk gets used up so quickly, and what else would you keep in it? Chocolate, fruit and vegetables, juice or other drinks... none need to be refrigerated for a long time, I think, and none are extremely perishable. What do you think?

Wow, the 50 litre fridge for £89.99 looks great! Now I'm stuck between that and the 20 litre one at Argos for £46.66 . Like you, I'd love a sense of scale.

Edit: This website shows a 20 litre fridge full of cans for a sense of scale. Though the price is higher, 20 liters is 20 liters. http://www.minicoolers.co.uk/products/silent/sf20.htm And this one shows 30 and 40 liters http://www.minicoolers.co.uk/products/silent/df30df40.htm. Personally, I think 50 liters is too much looking at all that space. I mean, I want it... but I don't £89.99 want it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3319
True, but I've been reading the reviews on the Argos website and it sounds like there have been people using them as fridges for several weeks, while their main fridge was out of use or broken, and I think that since we won't be keeping stuff in there for long periods of time it won't be a problem. A milk gets used up so quickly, and what else would you keep in it? Chocolate, fruit and vegetables, juice or other drinks... none need to be refrigerated for a long time, I think, and none are extremely perishable. What do you think?

Wow, the 50 litre fridge for £89.99 looks great! Now I'm stuck between that and the 20 litre one at Argos for £46.66 . Like you, I'd love a sense of scale.

Edit:[]/b] This website shows a 20 litre fridge full of cans for a sense of scale. Though the price is higher, 20 liters is 20 liters. http://www.minicoolers.co.uk/products/silent/sf20.htm And this one shows 30 and 40 liters http://www.minicoolers.co.uk/products/silent/df30df40.htm. Personally, I think 50 liters is too much looking at all that space. I mean, I want it... but I don't £89.99 want it.

I can imagine keeping milk, maybe sandwich ingredients, and alcohol. Be careful with the photos for scale: sometimes they use mini bottles and stuff to give the impression of more space.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending