The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

so scary that we're applying in the next month or so! all seems too real now!
Original post by manderson
Thank you! I think it is the most up-to-date information! :cool:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT - use this website instead :rolleyes:

I'd like to point out that the UKCAT is only 1hr 33mins long, so could a moderator please edit that bit?
I have no idea where to apply!
I feel average in all areas of my application :frown:, very very average.
I already have A*AA as I didn't apply last year due to rubbish AS grades and I want to get in so badly!
Only 7A*s so no Bham.
Reply 6883
Original post by Fizzingwhizbee
I have no idea where to apply!
I feel average in all areas of my application :frown:, very very average.
I already have A*AA as I didn't apply last year due to rubbish AS grades and I want to get in so badly!
Only 7A*s so no Bham.

Your grades are not rubbish -you are a star performer.I am also taking a gap year as I didnt get in last time but as the song goes .....pick yourself up,dust yourself down and start all over again. Look at Beska -he was in the same place and he is now flying high at Newcastle!!!!!
Original post by oldbatty
Your grades are not rubbish -you are a star performer.I am also taking a gap year as I didnt get in last time but as the song goes .....pick yourself up,dust yourself down and start all over again. Look at Beska -he was in the same place and he is now flying high at Newcastle!!!!!

Nah they're sufficient to get in but I don't have a fantastic UKCAT or work experience and will be working at Costa not as a HCA.
Scary stuff, and yeahh haha he's a good role model.

Where did you apply last time?
Reply 6885
Nah they're sufficient to get in but I don't have a fantastic UKCAT or work experience and will be working at Costa not as a HCA.

Yes but you have a job and they admissions people like that. I applied to PMS Cardiff Bristol and Nottingham
Reply 6886

Oh and I'm crap at ukcat too!!
Original post by oldbatty
Yes but you have a job and they admissions people like that. I applied to PMS Cardiff Bristol and Nottingham

Have you done your UKCAT?
Ohh cool did you get some feedback from them?
It seems so tough to get in!
okay so i really need some advice,
i just sat the UKCAT and got a really rubbish score of 610, i didn't get good AS level results either i got AAABB (B's in bio and chem, so i'm going to resit those modules in jan) and my gcse's were average i got 2A*'s 7A's and 3B's. i really want to study medicine, but mehh it does doesn't seem like i'll get in. Is there anywhere i can apply to?

any advice would be appreciated
Original post by leobutterfly
okay so i really need some advice,
i just sat the UKCAT and got a really rubbish score of 610, i didn't get good AS level results either i got AAABB (B's in bio and chem, so i'm going to resit those modules in jan) and my gcse's were average i got 2A*'s 7A's and 3B's. i really want to study medicine, but mehh it does doesn't seem like i'll get in. Is there anywhere i can apply to?

any advice would be appreciated

Hello there,

There are lots of places which would consider your application, have a read of the wiki here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine

As you are probably all too aware, medicine is extremely competitive and you should consider it carefully before deciding to apply. It is not impossible for you to get an offer, but you will be up against other better qualified applicants.

If you have an excellent personal statement and think you can put up a good interview performance then you have a chance.
Me. :redface:

SO scared! :afraid:
Reply 6891
Just to clarify, as long as I've got AAA prediction, my AS's don't matter that much, right? Obviously if my AS's were like EEE it would matter, but in the subjects I'm carrying onto A2 I've got AAC (the C is due to coursework; I'll sort that in Sept and should have a B instead), and my other AS's, do they matter? Apart from perhaps the 4th one?
Original post by loz876
Just to clarify, as long as I've got AAA prediction, my AS's don't matter that much, right? Obviously if my AS's were like EEE it would matter, but in the subjects I'm carrying onto A2 I've got AAC (the C is due to coursework; I'll sort that in Sept and should have a B instead), and my other AS's, do they matter? Apart from perhaps the 4th one?

As far as I know, all non-private schools need to cash in AS levels on UCAS now, so that C might be worrying?

As long as you get it sorted by September and it is officially a B by the time you send off your form, I think it will be okay :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6893
Original post by loz876

Nope. Your AS Levels don't matter as much :smile: However some universities like Birmingham have now started to put more emphasis on AS scores so you might want to research fully before applying.
Reply 6894
Original post by Ariadne xox
As far as I know, all non-private schools need to cash in AS levels on UCAS now, so that C might be worrying?

As long as you get it sorted by September and it is officially a B by the time you send off your form, I think it will be okay :smile:

Ahh ok, so does that mean that even if I redo my coursework (it's actually a chemistry ISA but we call it coursework!) my official grade might not change until January when I redo a module, or even June? I've put it as pending on UCAS for now.
Original post by loz876
Ahh ok, so does that mean that even if I redo my coursework (it's actually a chemistry ISA but we call it coursework!) my official grade might not change until January when I redo a module, or even June? I've put it as pending on UCAS for now.

Well I was told by my school that they HAVE to show AS level grades now?
I guess it's a retake you mean so I'm not sure! Ask your school. I guess as long as your reference for chemistry is strong and the school fully believe you can get the A, it should be fine :h:
Reply 6896
Hey guys,
I'm just about to start 2nd year at GKT - so if you've any questions about Kings fire away!
Also I had 4 interviews at different medical schools so if anyone wants info about interviews at Kings, Leeds, Barts or Newcastle, I'll try my best to help.
Reply 6897
Original post by sophyy
Hey guys,
I'm just about to start 2nd year at GKT - so if you've any questions about Kings fire away!
Also I had 4 interviews at different medical schools so if anyone wants info about interviews at Kings, Leeds, Barts or Newcastle, I'll try my best to help.

Info about Leeds & Newcastle interviews would be great, as I'm applying there :smile:
Original post by sophyy

Original post by sophyy
Hey guys,

Hello! :biggrin:
I really REALLY wanted to apply to King's but got a UKCAT score of 645 :frown: I wonder if you could help me out here... the website says they take the top X of UKCAT score BUT they also say they took applicants with UKCAT scores as low as 570... so, I 'm not sure what's going on there!!
Original post by Loulibelle
Hello! :biggrin:
I really REALLY wanted to apply to King's but got a UKCAT score of 645 :frown: I wonder if you could help me out here... the website says they take the top X of UKCAT score BUT they also say they took applicants with UKCAT scores as low as 570... so, I 'm not sure what's going on there!!

Kings apparently operate on a sliding scale - the higher your UKCAT, the lower your GCSEs need to be and nice versa. So if someone applied with like 14A*s, I'm guessing their UKCAT of 570 would be overridden. So if you have really good GCSEs, you're probably in with a chance :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending