The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3540
Original post by xx_emmarr_xx
I know this probably sounds stupid, but what are elective modules? Have no idea about anything :frown:

Electives are optional modules (optional in the sense that you choose which ones you do, not whether or not you do them) that you study to bring the total number of credits per year up to 120. You can study electives in any area as long as you meet any prerequisites and there is no timetable clash, but in later years, you will probably be restricted to electives in your department.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 3541
Original post by (:Becca(:
Mine won't let me either :frown:
Maybe it depends on departments?

So you know, mine is letting me on now: so you might be right that some subjects are updating later than others. Hope yours works soon. :smile:
Oh my god. Is anyone having problems finding a moudule that DOESNT clash? Every module clashes with my timetable what should i do? I really want to take either international politics or british politics!
I looked at the optional modules earlier but the way it was timetabled kind of broke my brain? I don't understand how to read it. I understood my compulsory modules timetable, that was easy, but this one I just don't get.
Reply 3544
Original post by sophiasunshine
I looked at the optional modules earlier but the way it was timetabled kind of broke my brain? I don't understand how to read it. I understood my compulsory modules timetable, that was easy, but this one I just don't get.

The optional modules are timetabled exactly the same way as the compulsory ones. What is confusing you, maybe I can help?
Reply 3545
guyss
i'm in sentinel towers
and its A3.11
what does that mean?! is 3 the floor number? what's 11?!
Original post by Gemini92
The optional modules are timetabled exactly the same way as the compulsory ones. What is confusing you, maybe I can help?

Oh, I think I might've been showing the alternative times? I don't know. I'm choosing electives now, anyway, and I'm currently trying to figure out if I can do Fast-track Latin 2 in second semester. The first semester for fast-track Latin 1 there's no timetable clashes so that's fine, but in the second one it says it clashes with one of my compulsory Philosophy proctorials. Do the alternative times for Philosophy then mean I can just go to one of those proctorials at one of the other times and therefore still be able to attend Latin 2, yeah? Or do I have to go with the one that's been put on my timetable for me?
Reply 3547
Original post by sophiasunshine
Oh, I think I might've been showing the alternative times? I don't know. I'm choosing electives now, anyway, and I'm currently trying to figure out if I can do Fast-track Latin 2 in second semester. The first semester for fast-track Latin 1 there's no timetable clashes so that's fine, but in the second one it says it clashes with one of my compulsory Philosophy proctorials. Do the alternative times for Philosophy then mean I can just go to one of those proctorials at one of the other times and therefore still be able to attend Latin 2, yeah? Or do I have to go with the one that's been put on my timetable for me?

You'd probably have to run it by someone first, but I don't see why you couldn't go to an alternate time.
Original post by Gemini92
You'd probably have to run it by someone first, but I don't see why you couldn't go to an alternate time.

As it turns out, I was just misreading my timetable and there is no clash. So a) I'm an idiot and b) awesome! Thanks for the help anyway :smile:

EDIT: Oh wait no, maybe there is. Yeah. No, so now I am an idiot TWICE over and also need to start wearing my glasses but I also managed to find who to contact to change my timetable anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3549
I have to choose one of two modules to do for Russian. These both clash with one of my compulsory Japanese modules, for which I cannot chose the alternative time, as /that/ clashes with a compulsory Russian module, which doesn't have any alternative times.

...this feels like the start of a tense, panic-filled and headache-inducing email conversation.
Original post by PINH
So you know, mine is letting me on now: so you might be right that some subjects are updating later than others. Hope yours works soon. :smile:

Yeah, I'm enrolled now :smile:
Reply 3551
Original post by Medpotter
Wait till ya with people so you can go to the same things :smile: I don't think things will sell out till people get there :P

hey was it you who was looking at applying to Dev? did you get it? :smile:
Original post by Deej
guyss
i'm in sentinel towers
and its A3.11
what does that mean?! is 3 the floor number? what's 11?!

If it's the same as my accommodation, it means you're in:

Block A
Floor 3
Flat 1
Room 1
Reply 3553
Original post by James9876
If it's the same as my accommodation, it means you're in:

Block A
Floor 3
Flat 1
Room 1

ohh right thank you soo much!!:smile:
Reply 3554
right i have to do 40 credits worth of electives, does anyone know if i can do 10 one semester and 30 in another or does it have to be split equally ie 20/20
Reply 3555
Original post by ohhelloruth
so many people seem to be doing Joint Honours :smile: im moving in on the 17th, just cause of conveinience of it beign a saturday etccc. plus i wouldn't want to be in the flat alone if no one else mvoes in, atleast yb the 17th most people will be there!

Yeh i am surprised, i thought that the joint honours department was much smaller :eek:. Yeh i agree 17th sounds good, i dont want to be the only one there for a day or two :smile:, think i would rather just meet everyone in my flat all at once :biggrin:
Reply 3556
Original post by anny11
Ahhhh I'm sure you'll be fine, you've done it before so that might help abit haha? ;D Btw have Leeds emailed you yet? They still haven't sent me anything :frown: xxx

Don't worry i have not had an email yet either :s-smilie:. Even though i know where i am going i just want to confirm it all now, getting a bit frustrating constantly having my hotmail account open, and looking every 30 mins lol :smile:. Yeh with philosophy i should be ok, because my school decided to teach us some of the uni work on top of the a level course anyway, so hopefully i can chill for the first few weeks :biggrin:
Reply 3557
Original post by RJW193
right i have to do 40 credits worth of electives, does anyone know if i can do 10 one semester and 30 in another or does it have to be split equally ie 20/20

You're advised to split your credits evenly, but you should be able to do 10/30. I know people who did 20/0 instead of 10/10.
Original post by RJW193

I don't think it has to be equal, as long as you have some in both semesters. I just finished, and mine's split as 25 credits in semester 1, 15 credits in semester 2 and it was fine with that.
Original post by RJW193

Mines 10/30... I figured that I'd have the first semester to get used to studying in a uni style :P

Latest