The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I would love to do economics and I would like to apply to SOAS, Surrey, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway and maybe brunel. I finished my A level in Economics and got an A. Im gonna continue to do Business and Maths, in which I got B and C at AS level.

Do you guys think I could get in these unis with predicted grades A and B in my subjects and my A in Economics.?

Tyhanks for the help
Reply 2161
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Hey guys, just got a query concerning someone I know.

Basically he's got 10 A*'s and 1 A at GCSE, and got 4 A's at AS-Level, and he wants to apply for Economics.

The problem is that he only averaged 85% in Maths, and he probably won't be predicted an A* in it (he got 95% in Econ, 98% in Geog and 94% in Chemistry - he'll probs drop Chem).

So far he's looking at uni's such as Bristol, Exeter, Nottingham, Bath and Birmingham. But I really think he is top 5 uni material - the only problem is his Maths which he's not too good in (well I say not too good, but he did get an A in it). Out of Warwick, LSE and UCL (pretty sure he doesn't want to go to Oxbridge) which d'ya think he should go for? I was thinking maybe Warwick...

Hopefully you might have a better idea about this because you're the ones who will be applying to these uni's too.

Cheers in advance

Warwick is the only one that doesn't specify the A* in Maths, so them. It's a shame though as his scores are so good in other areas!
Oh yeah - what do people think of SOAS when it comes to undergrad economics?
Thanks for your advice. I think I'll tell him to beg for that A* prediction, especially because I think he'll be able to get it if he steps up a gear in terms of effort put in.

I heard that Warwick's Economics course is quite flexible in that you don't have to take as many quantitative modulesif you don't want to? Is this correct?

I am not quite sure about this. But you do have a lot of optional modules which aren't that quantitative. It is definetely not as quantitative as LSE if you don't want to.

Original post by Tateco
Warwick is the only one that doesn't specify the A* in Maths, so them. It's a shame though as his scores are so good in other areas!

Really? In my prospectus it says A just like you said. But on their website it says A*AA (Maths). Doesn't that mean that you need that A* in Maths?
Reply 2164
Original post by nightmare91
I am not quite sure about this. But you do have a lot of optional modules which aren't that quantitative. It is definetely not as quantitative as LSE if you don't want to.

Really? In my prospectus it says A just like you said. But on their website it says A*AA (Maths). Doesn't that mean that you need that A* in Maths?

"A level: A*AA–AAA + B or above in 4th subject at AS or A2 or in the Extended Project. Candidates who offer Further Maths are expected to offer a minimum of 4 subjects (to include Maths) at A2 level. Applicants are encouraged to avoid combinations of subjects with significantly overlapping curricula such as Economics and Business Studies." :confused:

I think it just means including Maths...
Oh yeah - what do people think of SOAS when it comes to undergrad economics?

Yeah I wanna know more as well, how easy is it to get in and how hard is the course?

I'm interested in the Middle Eastern + Asian studies they do and also the different languages
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tateco
"A level: A*AA–AAA + B or above in 4th subject at AS or A2 or in the Extended Project. Candidates who offer Further Maths are expected to offer a minimum of 4 subjects (to include Maths) at A2 level. Applicants are encouraged to avoid combinations of subjects with significantly overlapping curricula such as Economics and Business Studies." :confused:

I think it just means including Maths...

Ah okay I thought it means that you have to have the A* in Maths! But that is good I suppose. You never know if you mess up a stupid paper like M2 or whatever. :u:
Reply 2167
Ah okay I thought it means that you have to have the A* in Maths! But that is good I suppose. You never know if you mess up a stupid paper like M2 or whatever. :u:

Good thing that the A* is only made up from C3 and C4 then :wink: (once an 80% overall average is achieved)
Reply 2168
Original post by Tateco
Good thing that the A* is only made up from C3 and C4 then :wink: (once an 80% overall average is achieved)

The typical offer this year is likely to be A*AA including Maths plus a further subject at AS Level Grade A, excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking. There is no advantage to taking four subjects to A Level.

Due to the subject overlap with Mathematics and Further Mathematics at A2 Level, we ask candidates to ensure that they offer two more additional A Levels. Furthermore, we do advise students to avoid combinations of subjects with significantly overlapping curricula.

The current offer for applicants taking Maths and Further Maths at A Level is A*AAA excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking.

If you take AS Level Further Maths it would be excluded from any offer made.

There is no advantage or disadvantage to taking Further Maths at AS Level or A Level, but you should be aware of the offers including and excluding these subjects.

That's Warwick's official position on Further Maths. It just seems strange that within a mathematical course, they see no advantage to doing Further Maths. :s-smilie:
Reply 2169
Original post by Groat
That's Warwick's official position on Further Maths. It just seems strange that within a mathematical course, they see no advantage to doing Further Maths. :s-smilie:

Strange indeed, but good for me :wink:
Reply 2170
Original post by Tateco
Strange indeed, but good for me :wink:

Well if you can't get an offer from Warwick, I wonder who can. :hugs:
Original post by tehonlyone
Hi,

I would love to do economics and I would like to apply to SOAS, Surrey, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway and maybe brunel. I finished my A level in Economics and got an A. Im gonna continue to do Business and Maths, in which I got B and C at AS level.

Do you guys think I could get in these unis with predicted grades A and B in my subjects and my A in Economics.?

Tyhanks for the help

You seem to be very adamant to stay in and around London :laugh: Maybe think about Southampton? With AAB predictions yes for all except for SOAS as they require AAA- thats not to say you might get an offer with AAB. I'd say go for it! You have a good chance (Royal Holloway L100 was in clearing a couple years ago if I'm right)
Original post by Tateco

Oh is it? I didn't know that! But that's good I guess. The C3 and C4 syllabus doesn't look that difficult. I've already had some of that stuff in my SL Maths class. :u:

Original post by Groat

Wow that is really strange. But also good for me :biggrin:. Maybe their course is not that mathematical? I don't know...
Reply 2173
Oh is it? I didn't know that! But that's good I guess. The C3 and C4 syllabus doesn't look that difficult. I've already had some of that stuff in my SL Maths class. :u:

Wow that is really strange. But also good for me :biggrin:. Maybe their course is not that mathematical? I don't know...

I really don't think not having FM will be an issue with you considering you are doing the IB! (I think :ninja:)
Original post by Tateco
I really don't think not having FM will be an issue with you considering you are doing the IB! (I think :ninja:)

the German Arbitur- correction :fyi:
Original post by Tateco

That is probably true but I always worry so much, I soo want an offer and if I had FM the probability would be higher... I think... I don't know :biggrin: I just want to maximise my chances :u:

Not exactly the IB :wink: (as Illmatic just corrected :biggrin: ) but the German Abitur which is very similar except that we even have more subjects that we are forced to do... Seriously philosophy is just a waste of time, why am I forced to study that? :biggrin:
Reply 2176
That is probably true but I always worry so much, I soo want an offer and if I had FM the probability would be higher... I think... I don't know :biggrin: I just want to maximise my chances :u:

Not exactly the IB :wink: (as Illmatic just corrected :biggrin: ) but the German Abitur which is very similar except that we even have more subjects that we are forced to do... Seriously philosophy is just a waste of time, why am I forced to study that? :biggrin:

Forced to study Philosophy? Now that is weird...
Reply 2177
Original post by Tateco

I wish I had the chance to study Philosophy. Although I may have edged towards PPE at the other place. :sexface:
Original post by Tateco

Well it was either that or Religious studies. They want us to be as well-rounded as possible so we have to have several sciences, arts etc. subjects. You can only choose 2 of your 3 Higher Levels (I could only choose one of them that's why I don't have Maths HL...) and then 2 other subjects like either History or Politics and Biology or Chemistry/Physics etc. But 1 or 2 C-category subjects like Philosophy, music, religious studies or sports are compulsory. I hate it :tongue:

Btw I have a question: I will sit the S1 exam in January. So now I will have to pick another extra module for the summer exam session. Should I choose D1, S2 or M1? I heard D1 is extremely easy but should I rather pick something that is a bit more challenging?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by -Illmatic-
You seem to be very adamant to stay in and around London :laugh: Maybe think about Southampton? With AAB predictions yes for all except for SOAS as they require AAA- thats not to say you might get an offer with AAB. I'd say go for it! You have a good chance (Royal Holloway L100 was in clearing a couple years ago if I'm right)

Yeah, prefer staying in London if possible. What are the grade requirements for Southampton? Do you think if I get AAB, will SOAS let me off?

And I forgot to mention another thing, would it affect my application much if its my third year of Alevels?? I used to do Chem and Bio but dropped them after the first year, and took Business and continued with Maths again.

Latest