The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2180
Original post by nightmare91
Well it was either that or Religious studies. They want us to be as well-rounded as possible so we have to have several sciences, arts etc. subjects. You can only choose 2 of your 3 Higher Levels (I could only choose one of them that's why I don't have Maths HL...) and then 2 other subjects like either History or Politics and Biology or Chemistry/Physics etc. But 1 or 2 C-category subjects like Philosophy, music, religious studies or sports are compulsory. I hate it :tongue:

Btw I have a question: I will sit the S1 exam in January. So now I will have to pick another extra module for the summer exam session. Should I choose D1, S2 or M1? I heard D1 is extremely easy but should I rather pick something that is a bit more challenging?

Which exam board are you on for Maths? :u:
Reply 2181
Well it was either that or Religious studies. They want us to be as well-rounded as possible so we have to have several sciences, arts etc. subjects. You can only choose 2 of your 3 Higher Levels (I could only choose one of them that's why I don't have Maths HL...) and then 2 other subjects like either History or Politics and Biology or Chemistry/Physics etc. But 1 or 2 C-category subjects like Philosophy, music, religious studies or sports are compulsory. I hate it :tongue:

Btw I have a question: I will sit the S1 exam in January. So now I will have to pick another extra module for the summer exam session. Should I choose D1, S2 or M1? I heard D1 is extremely easy but should I rather pick something that is a bit more challenging?

I suppose I appreciate that, I wish the English system was more rigorous in forcing students to do more academic subjects and make them more well-rounded. It would definitely be good if a language A-level was compulsory.

I would personally choose S2, it's apparently not that hard and quite relevant to economics. (so I've heard)
Original post by Groat
Which exam board are you on for Maths? :u:

I'm on Edexcel just like you :smile:
Original post by Tateco
I suppose I appreciate that, I wish the English system was more rigorous in forcing students to do more academic subjects and make them more well-rounded. It would definitely be good if a language A-level was compulsory.

I would personally choose S2, it's apparently not that hard and quite relevant to economics. (so I've heard)

That is true at least one language and one science should be compulsory. That makes you way more well-rounded. But on the other hand you can just study what you like and don't have to force yourself to analyse love poems...

Yea S2 seems like fun. But on the other hand I like Mechanics; I've always liked Physics so I thought I might like Mechanics as well.
Reply 2184
That is true at least one language and one science should be compulsory. That makes you way more well-rounded. But on the other hand you can just study what you like and don't have to force yourself to analyse love poems...

Yea S2 seems like fun. But on the other hand I like Mechanics; I've always liked Physics so I thought I might like Mechanics as well.

Also, a lot of schools encourage their students to take softer subjects (to boost their grade average) which are just completely pointless in every aspect of life, that is definitely wrong...

I think just take whichever one you think you will enjoy, they won't mind what modules you take when considering you.
Reply 2185
I'm on Edexcel just like you :smile:

I'd go for S2, simply in case you're asked a statistics question at interview. I can help you with any Edexcel modules. :u:
Original post by Groat
I'd go for S2, simply in case you're asked a statistics question at interview. I can help you with any Edexcel modules. :u:

Are you doing further additional maths?
Original post by Tateco
What are your UMS like? If they're good then it will only boost your application even if they don't ask for them :smile:

Not that good, maths 96%, economics 91%, chemistry 88%, biology 86% which is why I'm having doubts about Cambridge.
Reply 2188
Original post by jamiepango
Not that good, maths 96%, economics 91%, chemistry 88%, biology 86% which is why I'm having doubts about Cambridge.

They're fine, the two key ones over 90%, if you don't apply you will never know :h:
Original post by Tateco
Also, a lot of schools encourage their students to take softer subjects (to boost their grade average) which are just completely pointless in every aspect of life, that is definitely wrong...

I think just take whichever one you think you will enjoy, they won't mind what modules you take when considering you.

Yea I heard of some students that chose a ridiculus set of subjects... There should definetely be more consulting going on...

Original post by Groat

Hmm yea I think I'll take S2 then. M1 looks like fun but as you and Tateco already said, it is more related to economics.

Thanks, that is very nice also because I am studying A Level Maths all by myself which is hard sometimes... If I need any help, I'll definetely ask you. :smile:
Reply 2190
Original post by perrytheplatypus
Are you doing further additional maths?

Nope, only Further Maths. When I said any, I meant any of the ones he was considering. :colondollar:

Go for it Jamie! As Tateco said, you'll never know if you don't apply. :u:
Reply 2191

I got results quite similar to you and i'm thinking of applying...
Reply 2192
Original post by expopyro

I don't know why any of you are being put off, you all have such good grades and scores it would be stupid not to apply! :confused:
Sorry Groat, I misunderstood. I think you should give it a go ^_^

Original post by expopyro

Apply. Your UMS are high and even though some will have more, they have interviews where you can do better than them.
Reply 2194
Original post by Tateco
I don't know why any of you are being put off, you all have such good grades and scores it would be stupid not to apply! :confused:

Exactly.

Thinking of it this way may help. If your collective application (personal statement, UMS, interview, reference and GCSEs) places you in the top 180 (or so) candidates applying for Economics, you'll receive an offer. :u:
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
Exactly.

Thinking of it this way may help. If your collective application (personal statement, UMS, interview, reference and GCSEs) places you in the top 180 (or so) candidates applying for Economics, you'll receive an offer. :u:

Not exactly :h:

If your collective application (personal statement, UMS, interview, reference and GCSEs) places you in the top 3-12(depending on college) candidates out of a total of 40-120 applying for Economics(depending on college) OR top 25(ish) out of 50-75(ish) in the winter pool, you'll receive an offer.
Reply 2196
Original post by StarChamber
Not exactly :h:

If your collective application (personal statement, UMS, interview, reference and GCSEs) places you in the top 3-12(depending on college) candidates out of a total of 40-120 applying for Economics(depending on college) OR top 25(ish) out of 50-75(ish) in the winter pool, you'll receive an offer.

I'm struggling to see how that's different? Due to the pooling system, you can assume the best 180 (depends on the year) candidates will be given an offer. :s-smilie:
Reply 2197
Original post by Groat
I'm struggling to see how that's different? Due to the pooling system, you can assume the best 180 (depends on the year) candidates will be given an offer. :s-smilie:

This... :confused:
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat

Not necessarily at all. A pooled candidate from one college is not always as good as a pooled candidate from another. In addition to this for example say the 10th best candidate at one college who gets rejected may be better than the 7th best candidate at another who gets pooled.

Its very hard to differentiate between candidates between different colleges despite the guidelines for tutors on whom they should pool.

Your best bet of getting into Cambridge is to get into your original college, obviously, but to assume the pool will extract the best candidates is very far from the mark. But it does do a good job nonetheless.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2199
Original post by StarChamber
Not necessarily at all. A pooled candidate from one college is not always as good as a pooled candidate from another. In addition to this for example say the 10th best candidate at one college who gets rejected may be better than the 7th best candidate at another who gets pooled.

Its very hard to differentiate between candidates between different colleges despite the guidelines for tutors on whom they should pool.

Your best bet of getting into Cambridge is to get into your original college, obviously, but to assume the pool will extract the best candidates is very far from the mark. But it does do a good job nonetheless.

Of course, the pooling system cannot be assumed perfect. But, pooling isn't done on where you rank in your college, surely? If it were, the pooling system would be redundant as more competitive colleges weren't pooling enough quality candidates whereas poor colleges were pooling too many poor candidates.

Gonville and Caius had a crazy amount of pooled candidates who received offers elsewhere one year. :s-smilie:

Ah, well. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed my Cambridge application is as smooth as possible. :u:

Latest

Trending

Trending