The Student Room Group

Post your best photograph

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2800
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Tried my hand at tilt-shift when in Cornwall. Not entirely sure the effect has worked, but here we go:

You definately got the effect by reckoning anyway.

There are so many k-ass photos in this thread... some talented ladies and gents here!
Reply 2801
Original post by IamMarcoPolo
i should imagine you were using a fairly large zoom lens for that? -70-300mm perhaps?

75-300. Don't think I went below 200mm all day. Have had to crop images as well due to the large amount of space around the objects in the originals.
Reply 2802
Original post by villageorge
Great pix :smile: Love the first one, and the perspective of the second :smile:

New one:

The pic on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/villageorge/6087064521/in/photostream/

Really love this pic, grew up in hong kong so brings back a lot of memories

Just one small thing, it might just be me but the horizon line doesn't straight, a minor point but for me it detracts from an otherwise great photo and is easy to check/sort out in photoshop
Original post by bpb123
Really love this pic, grew up in hong kong so brings back a lot of memories

Just one small thing, it might just be me but the horizon line doesn't straight, a minor point but for me it detracts from an otherwise great photo and is easy to check/sort out in photoshop

Looks straight to me.

I think it's because the river either meanders or widens to the right making the horizon bend slightly.

Might be wrong though :biggrin:
Reply 2804
Original post by alcazaba
Looks straight to me.

I think it's because the river either meanders or widens to the right making the horizon bend slightly.

Might be wrong though :biggrin:

Just downloaded it and checked, is only a degree or so off so not bad at all, just what struck me. I was awful with getting the horizon straight and so to try and sort it out I just became rediculously self critical. You are right about the bend though, it does exentuate the fact that the horizon is marginally off. That is just how it looks to me anyway, not trying to take anything away from the photo, I do really like it, just giving my thoughts.
Original post by dhr90
Three from the Sunday of the Shoreham airshow last week.

Untitled by Matt Roberts101, on Flickr

Excellent, I have a few from Bournemouth Air Festival to upload soon:awesome:
Original post by bpb123
Just downloaded it and checked, is only a degree or so off so not bad at all, just what struck me. I was awful with getting the horizon straight and so to try and sort it out I just became rediculously self critical. You are right about the bend though, it does exentuate the fact that the horizon is marginally off. That is just how it looks to me anyway, not trying to take anything away from the photo, I do really like it, just giving my thoughts.

:laugh: same, I generally shoot from the hip a lot so to speak. Even when shooting with a tripod I generally don't worry too much about leveling everything out perfectly.

Not because I don't think it's important, just it takes too long and if you're off by a couple of degrees it's easy enough just to rotate in post - and you can see it a lot clearer too :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by bpb123

I was shooting with a 16mm so I think it distorts slightly loll. Might be why I didn't get it totally straight. I'll sort it when I have time :tongue:
Reply 2808
Original post by georgegabriel
Aware that I've already trickled a couple in here but I've finally sorted out my photos from my trip to Berlin. I'm starting to understand photography more and more every day and I hope this reflects in m photos :smile:

Berlin at Night / Berlin bei Nacht by georgegabriel, on Flickr

Blue Flame by georgegabriel, on Flickr

Berlin from below by georgegabriel, on Flickr

nice :smile:
This is, I think, my best cat picture...but her nose is STILL too bright! Argh! No flash used either :sigh: One day *shakes fist*

Don't even get me started on my black cat :biggrin:

The Day Dreamer by Sarah Jane 1986, on Flickr
Reply 2810
Original post by The Procrastinator
This is, I think, my best cat picture...but her nose is STILL too bright! Argh! No flash used either :sigh: One day *shakes fist*

The Day Dreamer by Sarah Jane 1986, on Flickr

Tried the burn tool in Photoshop? (If you have PS, that is.)
Original post by Roobsa
Tried the burn tool in Photoshop? (If you have PS, that is.)

*Cries* No, I don't have photoshop yet...yet! Is that tool in the CS ones? Hopefully I can buy that one soon :biggrin:

Do you have a PS? If you're bored, feel free to burn this photo for me and show me what you mean :biggrin:
Reply 2812
*Cries* No, I don't have photoshop yet...yet! Is that tool in the CS ones? Hopefully I can buy that one soon :biggrin:

Do you have a PS? If you're bored, feel free to burn this photo for me and show me what you mean :biggrin:

I do have PS CS5. I think dodge and burn are in all versions of PS.

You'd have to send me the RAW (or the original JPEG) as there's much more information in the file compared to that heavily compressed embed.
Original post by Roobsa
I do have PS CS5. I think dodge and burn are in all versions of PS.

You'd have to send me the RAW (or the original JPEG) as there's much more information in the file compared to that heavily compressed embed.

I have the original untouched jpeg (this reminded me that I have to start shooting in RAW also!) I'm not sure how I would get it to you straight from my computer though...
Reply 2814
I have the original untouched jpeg (this reminded me that I have to start shooting in RAW also!) I'm not sure how I would get it to you straight from my computer though...

Not heard of emails before? :p:

Why do you need flash? took a screen and looked at the histogram and it's well balanced. Daylight is so much better than a flash where available.

If you don't have the money for PS look in my sig for gimp.
Original post by Roobsa
Not heard of emails before? :p:

Oh for the love of God....:sigh: This is a girl who sends people pictures in emails all. the. time. :redface:

Email sent to your addy in your profile :biggrin: Thanks for helping me out :smile:
Original post by Weloveclover
Why do you need flash? took a screen and looked at the histogram and it's well balanced. Daylight is so much better than a flash where available.

If you don't have the money for PS look in my sig for gimp.

Well I don't need a flash really but when I started photography (2 months ago) I was in fully auto mode and the flash kept popping up and her white bits EXPLODED. But now I'm in manual and not using the flash her white bits still aren't quite right. I'm still learning really :biggrin:

Oooo free you say? Don't mind if I do! :biggrin: Thanks!
A few from my walk today:

Got my replacement macro lens today and I've rattled off some more shots of my mice :redface:
I've botched a diffuser for my in built flash by wrapping toilet paper round it and fixing with a hairband :redface: but it seems to do the job quite well until I can afford a proper flash.

a slightly bigger aperature would have been good on this one, to get the eye in focus too.

I know it's just photos of mice to you lot but I'm so happy with the lens. :smile:
Only problem is someone bought in their 105 macro for commission sale today and he only wants £390 for it. Very tempting.

Quick Reply

Latest