ENG Prose Reading & Interpretation - Compulsary
ENG Studying & Researching English - Compulsary
ENG Language, Text and Context - Compulsary
HIS Medieval & Renaissance Europe - Optional
ENG Poetry: Reading & Interpretation - Compulsary
ENG Exploring Medieval Literature - Compulsary
CLAS Intro to Ancient Greek Philosophy - Optional

Total: 125 credits 20/20 split over semester one and two :biggrin:

I'm considering doing the Intro to Ancient Greek Philosophy as well - how much of the very long reading list are people getting? I would assume just the required one and then getting the rest from the library?

Edit: never mind, it clashes with my German :mad:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Prose Before Hoes
ENG Prose Reading & Interpretation - Compulsary
ENG Studying & Researching English - Compulsary
ENG Language, Text and Context - Compulsary
HIS Medieval & Renaissance Europe - Optional
ENG Poetry: Reading & Interpretation - Compulsary
ENG Exploring Medieval Literature - Compulsary
CLAS Intro to Ancient Greek Philosophy - Optional

Total: 125 credits 20/20 split over semester one and two :biggrin:

I'm doing that one!!! :smile:

Well and all the English ones too but they'll be bigger lectures >_>
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3563
I'm so jealous of you guys, I can't register until I physically arrive in Leeds. :frown:

Gaah! So frustrating, I want to choose my electives! :angry:
Original post by cannella
I'm so jealous of you guys, I can't register until I physically arrive in Leeds. :frown:

Gaah! So frustrating, I want to choose my electives! :angry:

How come?
Oh, and assuming what I have read is right- we register for a student ID card from the 19th onwards?
Reply 3566
Oh, and assuming what I have read is right- we register for a student ID card from the 19th onwards?

You'll be able to collect your ID card from Monday 19th. I recommend getting there fairly early as I was queueing for a couple of hours because I decided to collect it after my intro meeting. You'll need to take your registration certificate and some kind of photo ID.

Also, they'll be taking the picture for the card there.
Argh, all the electives I want to do either don't fit into my timetable or are only 10 credits :mad:
Original post by Bella Occhi
Argh, all the electives I want to do either don't fit into my timetable or are only 10 credits :mad:

Aww that sucks! :frown:
Reply 3569

Can you do two 10 credits ones? (Assuming you need 20 credits-if you need 15, that'd be very awkward...) It might be tricky to fit in to your timetable, but it might work.
Reply 3570
How come?

I need to show the original transcripts of my qualifications. I've already sent scanned copies, but they said they need the original documents. :frown:
Original post by Muffinz
Aww that sucks! :frown:

I'm jealous of your Ancient Greek Philosophy one, I could do it but it would mean that for the first semester I'd have three back-to-back classes in the morning with no space in between them! I might consider it as an absolute back-up :p:

Original post by FinnC
Can you do two 10 credits ones? (Assuming you need 20 credits-if you need 15, that'd be very awkward...) It might be tricky to fit in to your timetable, but it might work.

I can but I thought three electives + normal modules might be a bit much. However just found another thread where a couple of people are doing two 10 credits and a 20 so that has reassured me somewhat :smile: I don't think I need 15 credits - how do you check?
I'm jealous of your Ancient Greek Philosophy one, I could do it but it would mean that for the first semester I'd have three back-to-back classes in the morning with no space in between them! I might consider it as an absolute back-up :p:

That module's in semester 2 only >_>
Reply 3573
won't let me do more than i'm given :frown:
Original post by Muffinz
That module's in semester 2 only >_>

Oh I was thinking of something else then. I've just noticed it clashes with a different lecture anyway :emo:
Reply 3575
I need 40 credits in electives, and have found 2 modules that I want to do (20 each). Only thing is both these modules are taught in both semester 1 and semester 2 and so carry on through the year. I already have two optional modules in semester 1 and two in semester 2...

My only worry is that both elective modules contain both coursework and exams...so perhaps this would leave me with too much work in semester 2 as I assume this is when they would all take place?

I'll be impressed if anyone can even understand that post, haha. Confused myself..
Reply 3576

I can but I thought three electives + normal modules might be a bit much. However just found another thread where a couple of people are doing two 10 credits and a 20 so that has reassured me somewhat :smile: I don't think I need 15 credits - how do you check?

It says somewhere in the module enrolment section how many credits you need for the year/optional modules/elective modules (I think on their respective pages), and how many you've registered for :smile: I've also discovered that if you're on the page where you pick optional modules (and I assume it's the same for electives) that it gives you a nice notice in red text at the bottom of the page if you've not selected enough credits but have clicked continue at some point :smile:

That's good to hear-the number of credits is meant to be directly linked to the number of hours spent studying both in and out of lectures etc, so I'd imagine that it works out evening however you take the modules. It's always nice to hear other people doing it though :smile:
Original post by FinnC
It says somewhere in the module enrolment section how many credits you need for the year/optional modules/elective modules (I think on their respective pages), and how many you've registered for :smile: I've also discovered that if you're on the page where you pick optional modules (and I assume it's the same for electives) that it gives you a nice notice in red text at the bottom of the page if you've not selected enough credits but have clicked continue at some point :smile:

That's good to hear-the number of credits is meant to be directly linked to the number of hours spent studying both in and out of lectures etc, so I'd imagine that it works out evening however you take the modules. It's always nice to hear other people doing it though :smile:

Oh found it, I need 40 so that works out ok, thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Gemini92
Electives are optional modules (optional in the sense that you choose which ones you do, not whether or not you do them) that you study to bring the total number of credits per year up to 120. You can study electives in any area as long as you meet any prerequisites and there is no timetable clash, but in later years, you will probably be restricted to electives in your department.

Thankyou! One more question, what are prerequisites? Sorry if that was another dumb question...
Reply 3579
Original post by xx_emmarr_xx
Thankyou! One more question, what are prerequisites? Sorry if that was another dumb question...

They are certain conditions that you have to fulfil to study the module. Generally, first year electives don't have them, but second year modules and later, may have them.

Using my own course as an example, to study one of the second year nanotechnology modules, you have to have studied either a first year nanotechnology module or a first year physics module.

It will say on the module catalogue what prerequisites a module has, if any.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest