The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6900
I am relatively lucky as i have my UKCAT three weeks tomorrow which means i have plenty of time to practice, but I'm really struggling with QR in the how to master UKCAT book :/ The AR is absolutely ridiculous in there too! I'm so nervous!
Original post by colabottles

Original post by colabottles
Kings apparently operate on a sliding scale - the higher your UKCAT, the lower your GCSEs need to be and nice versa. So if someone applied with like 14A*s, I'm guessing their UKCAT of 570 would be overridden. So if you have really good GCSEs, you're probably in with a chance :smile:

Really? How bizarre... I might email them to ask. I have 6A*s and 4As, so nothing special. UKCAT of 645, bit pants. Maybe I'll give King's a miss!
Original post by Loulibelle
Really? How bizarre... I might email them to ask. I have 6A*s and 4As, so nothing special. UKCAT of 645, bit pants. Maybe I'll give King's a miss!

Don't rule it out just yet, your UKCAT is okay and your GCSEs are good, you may have a chance to be honest! I'd email them and ask if I were you :smile:
Reply 6903
Original post by Ariadne xox
Well I was told by my school that they HAVE to show AS level grades now?
I guess it's a retake you mean so I'm not sure! Ask your school. I guess as long as your reference for chemistry is strong and the school fully believe you can get the A, it should be fine :h:

Hmm, I read that if you were resitting any part you put it as pending...
And the ISA isn't exactly a retake as I can do it at any time in the year and it'll be moderated within a coupla weeks... the module I was talking about resitting is separate to the ISA, sorry if I wasn't clear! :tongue:
Original post by loz876
Hmm, I read that if you were resitting any part you put it as pending...
And the ISA isn't exactly a retake as I can do it at any time in the year and it'll be moderated within a coupla weeks... the module I was talking about resitting is separate to the ISA, sorry if I wasn't clear! :tongue:

Oh okay :s-smilie: Well I'd just ask your school. If it is the ISA you're doing again, then hopefully it will be okay :smile:
Reply 6905
Hey guys :biggrin:

I got 11A* 1A at GCSE
5As at AS - Biology, chemistry, physics, maths, and psychology.
643 average for UKCAT

The uni's i'm applying to that use it are King's, Dundee, and QUB.

Is my UKCAT too low, am I wasting my time?
Please advice me of suitable places to apply

Thanks a lot,
Dean Ox
Reply 6906
I got a shocking UKCAT score of 565, reckon any ukcat unis will look at me apart from liverpool and bristol? I got 8 A* and 4 A's at AS
Reply 6907
Original post by dej_unit
I got a shocking UKCAT score of 565, reckon any ukcat unis will look at me apart from liverpool and bristol? I got 8 A* and 4 A's at AS

Do Liverpool not value UKCAT much, and is this John Moore's? BTW Congrats, great results! :biggrin:
Reply 6908
Original post by dej_unit

Leeds and Leicester put less emphasis on the UKCAT. You might want to consider applying to those universities too.
Original post by Vulpes
Leeds and Leicester put less emphasis on the UKCAT. You might want to consider applying to those universities too.

Leicester gives equal weighting to UKCAT, GCSEs and PS in a three-way split, each part is worth 30 points in interview selection scoring. I'd say a safer bet for someone with a lower UKCAT would be Keele.
Reply 6910
Hi everyone, just wondering if I stand a decent chance at my proposed unis based on my academic record...

GCSEs: 4A*, 7A, 1B (early citizenship)

AS results: Maths (A), Biology (high B), Chemistry (B), History (B - will remark it though because I was 1 UMS off an A)

Possible A2 predictions: Maths (A*), Biology (A), Chemistry (A)

UKCAT: 652.5

Proposed Unis: Imperial, King's, UCL, Barts/St George's

Thanks in advance :smile:
Do UCL look closely at UMS of AS grades? :beard:
Original post by Ariadne xox
Do UCL look closely at UMS of AS grades? :beard:

Nope, Ums is only necessary for Cambridge.
Reply 6913
Hi I just did my UKCAT today and was a bit disappointed with my results. Average - 602.5

I'm thinking of applying to BSMS, Bristol, Nottingham and Southampton 6 Year.

I got 4A*, 8A at GCSE.

ABBC at AS Level, should hopefully be A*AA predictions.

Can anyone tell me if these are wise choices? thanks :smile:
Original post by Sailingslipelick
Nope, Ums is only necessary for Cambridge.

That's good then :colone:

Reply 6915
It says on sheffields website that applicants should have a ukcat in the range of 2800. I have 2870 - will I be risking it because this was the exact cut-off last year or do you guys reckon they'll lower it? Thanks.
Reply 6916
Original post by Vulpes

And yeah, i was thinking about leeds, not sure about leicester though because they do the 30-point scale thingy. its a tough one
Reply 6917
Original post by Dean54
Do Liverpool not value UKCAT much, and is this John Moore's? BTW Congrats, great results! :biggrin:

Thanks :biggrin: and yeah, bristol and liverpool don't care about the UKCAT which is good for me. And no its University of Liverpool!
Reply 6918
Original post by Loulibelle
Hello! :biggrin:
I really REALLY wanted to apply to King's but got a UKCAT score of 645 :frown: I wonder if you could help me out here... the website says they take the top X of UKCAT score BUT they also say they took applicants with UKCAT scores as low as 570... so, I 'm not sure what's going on there!!

I agree with 6A* and 645 - you should get an interview. I wouldn't let it stop you applying to Kings if you want to - and I don't think it's bad choice at all!
Reply 6919
Original post by Dean54
Hey guys :biggrin:

I got 11A* 1A at GCSE
5As at AS - Biology, chemistry, physics, maths, and psychology.
643 average for UKCAT

The uni's i'm applying to that use it are King's, Dundee, and QUB.

Is my UKCAT too low, am I wasting my time?
Please advice me of suitable places to apply

Thanks a lot,
Dean Ox

Kings use a sliding scale of UKCAT with GCSEs - so as your GCSEs are exceptional I think you have a good chance with Kings.
QUB seem to be mainly about GCSEs - so I think your safe
I'm not sure about Dundee admissions sorry

Latest

Trending

Trending