The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Patriot
Not if the Patriots have anything to say about it following the debacle against the lions...

Haha, tbf though both the Pack and Pats were playing teams with great pass-rushers. There are a lot of other teams that just aren't that good in that department. Could really see the Lions making the Wild Card though.
Original post by Hedgeman49
Lions D were in beast mode though, their D-line is seriously scary this year. Your O-line were pretty poor but they should be okay against more average defenses.

Original post by WharfedaleTiger
We're a better team than you give us credit for and out D-line was on FIRE...

Yeah you're right, I'm just in panic mode lol!

TBF, not many d-line's are as good as the Lions'. Vanden-Bosch and Cliff Avril on ends, and Fairley and SUHHHHHHHHHHH (as well as the talented Corey Williams) at DT.

The Pats line is supposed to be a top 5 unit in the league based on past performance, experience and chemistry. But they were playing like a bunch of kids on some snaps.

The Pats can win the superbowl, but not with Brady on his back. 2007 as the key example: Pats 18-0 when the lineman deal with the defensive pass rush, 0-1 when they didn't.
Reply 2422
My NFC South:

Saints - 12 - 4 - If the defence can start clicking in time for Sept 8th, We've got everything we need to win the division. Mark Ingram will supply a reliable running game which will open up the passing game for Brees and allow us to convert short-yardage, somewhere we suffered last year.
Falcons - 11 - 5 - Qualify for the Wildcard - An offence that always puts up points, and Julio Jones will only help Matt Ryan. The defence just isn't quite on par and I think they'll end up losing a couple of close ones.
Tampa Bay - 9 - 7 - Taking a step back from last year due to a tougher schedule this year. Will be competitive and definitely a force in the future with such a young team.
Carolina - 5 - 11 - Cam Newton will enable them to win a few more games than last year, but ultimately he won't cut it and the offence will collapse again. Potentially in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes for next year if it goes worse than that.
Yeah you're right, I'm just in panic mode lol!

TBF, not many d-line's are as good as the Lions'. Vanden-Bosch and Cliff Avril on ends, and Fairley and SUHHHHHHHHHHH (as well as the talented Corey Williams) at DT.

The Pats line is supposed to be a top 5 unit in the league based on past performance, experience and chemistry. But they were playing like a bunch of kids on some snaps.

The Pats can win the superbowl, but not with Brady on his back. 2007 as the key example: Pats 18-0 when the lineman deal with the defensive pass rush, 0-1 when they didn't.

No point being in a panic-you have, IMO, the second best squad in the league. The Lions are a decent team and really went for it...

The strength of our D-line is also the rotation-you have pretty much two 'starting quality' players in every position:

DE: Avri, Jackson
DT: Suh, Hill
DT: Williams, Fairely
DE: KVB, Young

You need to protect Brady, yes, but I think you will generally...
I want the season to start.
Also, how many people are in other leagues?

I've just joined a couple more :smile:
Original post by paddy__power
Also, how many people are in other leagues?

I've just joined a couple more :smile:

I am, joined another 3 :colone: Our league was the first one I've ever done so thought I should get a few more under my belt. I've got drafts at 2.30 tomorrow morning, 10pm tomorrow and then again at midnight :biggrin:
I'm in 3 others too!

2 on nfl.com & 2 on yahoo sports :P

both nfl.com leagues and one yahoo league is done. the other yahoo league is drafting at 5pm today :smile:
Original post by georgegabriel
haha. shopto.net are posting it tomorrow for delivery on thursday, a day early. hasn't let me down the last 4 years !

If you do get it tomorrow, let us know what it's like. Having seen all the improvements they've made, this is the most excited I've been about a game for ages :biggrin:
Original post by Scott129
If you do get it tomorrow, let us know what it's like. Having seen all the improvements they've made, this is the most excited I've been about a game for ages :biggrin:

I got the message this morning that it's been dispatched, so it'll be here tomorrow morning.

Is there anything you guys would like me to check out/post/etc?
Original post by georgegabriel
I got the message this morning that it's been dispatched, so it'll be here tomorrow morning.

Is there anything you guys would like me to check out/post/etc?

No mate, just general impressions of the game, perhaps a bit about franchise mode. It looks like they're making it a whole lot more in-depth which should be good. '10 franchise mode was pretty awful.
Just read a bunch of generally apathetic reviews, saying it's another minor improvement but nothing groundbreaking yet again. And I'm not at all surprised really. Apparently Superstar Mode (the only mode I play) has been shunned yet again.

Guess I'll be waiting for this one to hit the bargain buckets before I buy it!
Just finished a draft for another league I joined. Absolutely thrilled with how it turned out :biggrin:

QB: Josh Freeman (I orginally picked him as my back-up but figured I'd take a gamble and if it doesn't work out, I can just swap in the reliable Roethlisberger)
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew
RB: Michael Turner (so happy I got 2 elite RBs :biggrin:)
WR: DeSean Jackson
WR: Santonio Holmes
W/R: Knowshon Moreno
TE: Zach Miller (there were better TEs available but I figured, besides Sidney Rice, T-Jax doesn't have many targets and Miller is always a solid pass-catcher)
DEF: Detroit Lions (should get ****loads of sacks)
K: Rob Bironas

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
RB: Ryan Matthews
RB: Daniel Thomas (these 2 RBs are boom or bust, if they start out well, I can just swap them in for Moreno or for MJD if his knee catches up with him)
WR: Brandon Lloyd
WR: Hines Ward (solid receiver, will be able to fill in for any injuries)
TE: Dustin Keller

Literally couldn't be happier with this team :colone:
Just read a bunch of generally apathetic reviews, saying it's another minor improvement but nothing groundbreaking yet again. And I'm not at all surprised really. Apparently Superstar Mode (the only mode I play) has been shunned yet again.

Guess I'll be waiting for this one to hit the bargain buckets before I buy it!

I really don't understand why they don't just go back to the older style superstar mode, I don't give a **** about "improved, realistic camera angles"
Original post by Scott129
I am, joined another 3 :colone: Our league was the first one I've ever done so thought I should get a few more under my belt. I've got drafts at 2.30 tomorrow morning, 10pm tomorrow and then again at midnight :biggrin:

I'm in 3 others too!

2 on nfl.com & 2 on yahoo sports :P

both nfl.com leagues and one yahoo league is done. the other yahoo league is drafting at 5pm today :smile:

My internet died half hour before my first draft and then didn't come back on until this morning so I missed both drafts. They didn't actually go too badly and in both cases I got a player or two I wanted. I happened to get Cutler as my back up QB both times as well which, as a Bears fan, I can deal with. I would have done better both times if I were there but such is life. I will join another two :tongue:

Team 1: I feel like I got some decent players here but don't feel great about some of the back up. Happy with the best starting team though.

QB: Brady, Cutler
RB: Charles, Gore, Hillis, Helu, Lynch (I may well drop Helu)
WR: Bryant, Welker, Collie, Nelson
TE: Daniels
K: Kaeding
D: Bears

Team 2: I have to admit I like this team more. What do you reckon?

QB: Roethlisburger, Cutler (happy with this)
RB: Rice, Forte, Best, Lynch
WR: Johnson, Jackson, Branch, Edwards
TE: Pettigrew, Keller
K: Ravens
D: Janikowski
My internet died half hour before my first draft and then didn't come back on until this morning so I missed both drafts. They didn't actually go too badly and in both cases I got a player or two I wanted. I happened to get Cutler as my back up QB both times as well which, as a Bears fan, I can deal with. I would have done better both times if I were there but such is life. I will join another two :tongue:

Team 1: I feel like I got some decent players here but don't feel great about some of the back up. Happy with the best starting team though.

I think team one is extremely good.
I think team one is extremely good.

I think both teams came out well but I guess I just get a better feeling from the second one. Can't complain though :tongue:

I have registered for a couple more leagues drafting today including a larger 16 team league for some variation. Going to try and grab some different players :smile:
Reply 2437

2 really good treams, which WR is Johnson though? And how many teams are in the leagues?

Two very good teams, WRs are maybe a bit weak in team 1 and QBs a bit weak in team 2 but other than that, could definitely be challenging for titles!
Original post by Mufasaa
2 really good treams, which WR is Johnson though? And how many teams are in the leagues?

Both smaller leagues if I remember. Andre.

Two very good teams, WRs are maybe a bit weak in team 1 and QBs a bit weak in team 2 but other than that, could definitely be challenging for titles!

I'm a big fan of Roethlisburger - hence why I picked him in our league. Obviously there are better people to have but as a Bears fan I'm glad to have Cutler at QB2.

I have a draft in an hour that hopefully my internet will hold out for. :colonhash:

Is the NFL site(s) down for anyone else? :/
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest