The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2520
Getting a bit giddy over the thought of my own iron and ironing board right now! :biggrin:

someone tell me this is normal please? :tongue:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by Popey93
Getting a bit giddy over the thought of my own iron and ironing board right now! :biggrin:

someone tell me this is normal please? :tongue:

they provide ironing boards in halls so you dont need to buy your own :tongue:
Reply 2522
Original post by jelly1000
they provide ironing boards in halls so you dont need to buy your own :tongue:

Oh nooo :frown:

I wanted one with a spotty cover. :colondollar:
Reply 2523
Original post by kpwxx

Maybe you could hire an undergrad IT student to create an automated system for you so you don't need extra employees for summer. Or maybe someone would volunteer to boost their work experience!

xxx

I second this!
Original post by UEAAccommodation
PM me with your details. I need your full name, date of birth and your UEA student number. I can then look into it for you.

Update:

Turns out I had an offer, but it was sitting in my junk inbox, unfortunately the reply deadline ran out this morning, I've e-mailed a reply accepting the offer anyway and will phone to see what's what in the morning.
Original post by Popey93

i mean you could bring your own if you really wanted to, but ive heard students generally dont tend to bother with ironing anyway

i mean you could bring your own if you really wanted to, but ive heard students generally dont tend to bother with ironing anyway

I didn't :dontknow: And I had placements to go on - nobody ever said my clothes were creased :teehee:

Tbh, if you put your clothes away as soon as they're out the tumble dryer/hang them up neatly and not leave them in a bundle, then they don't really get creased anyway :dontknow:
Reply 2527
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I didn't :dontknow: And I had placements to go on - nobody ever said my clothes were creased :teehee:

Tbh, if you put your clothes away as soon as they're out the tumble dryer/hang them up neatly and not leave them in a bundle, then they don't really get creased anyway :dontknow:

Oh right.
Well, thats a saving then :biggrin:
Reply 2528
Ironing is for people with too much time to spare, if something desperately needs ironing then hang it up in your ensuite with the shower on full blast and the door shut for a few minutes. CREASES NO MORE!
Reply 2529
Original post by Lucyyy
Ironing is for people with too much time to spare, if something desperately needs ironing then hang it up in your ensuite with the shower on full blast and the door shut for a few minutes. CREASES NO MORE!

Not a good idea in the village =P.

xxx
Reply 2530
Original post by kpwxx
Not a good idea in the village =P.

xxx

Haha really, how come? Works well in campus ensuites at least! :p:

I've done ironing like once in my life! Think it was in year 7 on my first day when I wanted to make a good impression! :laugh: I don't bother now! Ironing is the only chore I hate more than washing up. I just find it such a waste of time... especially since I've seen my stepmum spend hours ironing her duvet covers and pillowcases. It mystifies me because all I can think is that you're going to sleep on it and mess it up so what's the point? She says it looks neater but I don't see any difference between her bed and mine- expect that she's better at making it than I am! :tongue:
Original post by kpwxx
There is no 'way to tell' really, although someone above mentioned that they got an email a few days after not replying to tell them they hadn't replied- so in theory if you haven't got one you should be fine, though not 100% on that!

If you're really worried you may be able to PM UEAAccomm to check but it depends on whether he is too busy to check.

May I suggest, after reading this forum and remembering my own worry, that this should be the key area for change next year! (I know this is wishful thinking with employing more staff right now :P).

Maybe you could hire an undergrad IT student to create an automated system for you so you don't need extra employees for summer. Or maybe someone would volunteer to boost their work experience!

xxx

Thanks for the suggestion but it's not quite that simple!

All I can say is it was supposed to happen this year but we have had a few technical difficulties with the system that we were going to use. Can't really go into details though.

We would still need extra staff though. You would not believe how busy it gets in here this time of year. We already have three students working with us at present and their main job is to answer emails and the phone at the due to the number of queries we get (not just about accept emails before you ask...). We will have another 3 with us for some other work by the end of the summer too.

To give you an idea whatt it's like at present all 3 of them are on the phone and there are also 5 people in the front of the office waiting to be served in person by our counter staff. It's a little busy.
Original post by Popey93

You can still buy one if you really want one!
Reply 2534
Thanks for the suggestion but it's not quite that simple!

All I can say is it was supposed to happen this year but we have had a few technical difficulties with the system that we were going to use. Can't really go into details though.

We would still need extra staff though. You would not believe how busy it gets in here this time of year. We already have three students working with us at present and their main job is to answer emails and the phone at the due to the number of queries we get (not just about accept emails before you ask...). We will have another 3 with us for some other work by the end of the summer too.

To give you an idea whatt it's like at present all 3 of them are on the phone and there are also 5 people in the front of the office waiting to be served in person by our counter staff. It's a little busy.

Yeah I knew I was probably over simplifying it :smile:

I may apply next year, think I'm gonna have to stay in Norwich over summer, it would be like being on here but on the phone!

xxx
Reply 2535
Original post by Lucyyy
Haha really, how come? Works well in campus ensuites at least! :p:

Well, you'd just open the door to some very very wet clothes! I suppose you could shut the shower curtain and try to hang them on the shelf but I stilll wouldn't trust it!

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
Yeah I knew I was probably over simplifying it :smile:

I may apply next year, think I'm gonna have to stay in Norwich over summer, it would be like being on here but on the phone!

xxx

That's OK, we welcome any feedback. We are always trying to improve what we do.

As for working here next summer. We'll advertise for next year's staff through the Student Union Employability service normally in May/June time. We normally look for people that have had some form of customer service experience so if you have that would help (your actual accommodation knowledge is pretty good already though!).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2537
That's OK, we welcome any feedback. We are always trying to improve what we do.

As for working here next summer. We'll advertise for next year's staff through the Student Union Employability service normally in May/June time. We normally look for people that have had some form of customer service experience so if you have that would help (your actual accommodation knowledge is prety good already though!).

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes open for the ads on employability (or in concrete)

xxx
Reply 2538

UEA Accomm, I've been a bit of an idiot and could do with some advice!

I ordered a bunch of course books yesterday but I forgot to change my default shipping address and they've all been sent to my old Nelson Court address. I don't think they'll have my school abbriviation on either, since I was expecting them to come to my home address! Will the post room just hang onto them until someone comes to claim them? I'm not back in Norwich until the 20th, so it'll be a while until I can get there...

I am a silly billy :frown:
Original post by BethanW
UEA Accomm, I've been a bit of an idiot and could do with some advice!

I ordered a bunch of course books yesterday but I forgot to change my default shipping address and they've all been sent to my old Nelson Court address. I don't think they'll have my school abbriviation on either, since I was expecting them to come to my home address! Will the post room just hang onto them until someone comes to claim them? I'm not back in Norwich until the 20th, so it'll be a while until I can get there...

I am a silly billy :frown:

I would think that the post room will just hold on to them for you but if you want to be sure give them a call on 01603 592080 and they can let you know for certain.

Latest

Trending

Trending