The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
Original post by xxbutterbeanxx
My fastest time was 25mins 53 but now it's almost 30mins :-( my friend who is a personal trainer said anything under 28mins is pretty good. 23 mins is really quick though! My aim is to try and get down to about 24mins and I'll be happy. I think serious runners can do it in about 18mins or so! Time will also depend on how hilly it is and I now run on grass (because of recurring shin splints) which definitely takes me longer now because I'm always rolling my ankles in hidden holes in the grass!

My route is VERY hilly so I'm using that as an excuse... despite the fact that my dad runs the same route lol. It's not fairrrrr, he's olddddddd, I don't understand why he's faster when I run all the time and he just does it once a week *sulk*

Original post by Aemiliana
Someone at my local park run has run it (it's a 5k run) in 15 minutes. Decided I definitely wasn't going to do it after seeing that!

That is fast! My faster ever time was about 23 minutes I think for Race for Life, but that was because I knew I was doing it months in advance and took it WAY too seriously. My excuse at the time was that my cousin's said they'd double my sponsorship if I came in the top 20 or something but really I just like winning. Even if it's not a proper race. And even if half the entrants are walking.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

New top :-). It's a size 12, but a big size 12 obviously ha ha.

Spoiler

You look so lovely! And so what if it's a big 12 - it's still a 12! Well done :smile:
Off to the gym in a bit.

Going to try and do a little bit extra, to make up for what is going to be a bit of a calorie fest tonight.
I've been slacking on the exercise front for the last few months, but managed to get out for a run this morning. I'd forgotten how good it makes you feel afterwards :smile: Since it's been a while, and I was only on ~week 5 of C25K before stopping, I took it easy, doing 1 minute running, 1 minute walking, for half an hour (somewhere in between week 1 and 2). What's pleasing is that I felt like I could have run for longer stretches at a time :smile:

I've got the running bug again! Does anyone know if it'd be bad for me to go out for another half hour run this evening?
Reply 2004
My clothes size drives me insane, I'm still a size 12 even though I'm 20lbs lighter. My boobs can get into a 10, my waist can't and I'm pear-shaped so my lower-body is always a lot bigger than my upper-body. I was at some point wearing a 14 on my lower body but...it's all so confusing. Shops don't help, recently I wore a size 16 skirt in Matalan and a size 18 top in some cheap no-name clothes shop.
Got new scales this evening. Unfortunately I weigh a couple of pounds heavier on them, but can't complain, always knew there'd be a difference. Was kind of hoping it'd be in my favour, though!

Not sure what weigh in this week will say. Possibly STS even if I lose a couple of pounds, because of the scales, but nothing I can really do about it now other than just start the counting again from Monday. Never mind! :-).

Just felt like another comparison pic..

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Got new scales this evening. Unfortunately I weigh a couple of pounds heavier on them, but can't complain, always knew there'd be a difference. Was kind of hoping it'd be in my favour, though!

Not sure what weigh in this week will say. Possibly STS even if I lose a couple of pounds, because of the scales, but nothing I can really do about it now other than just start the counting again from Monday. Never mind! :-).

Spoiler

Oh my God you look fantastic!! :biggrin: And has your face cleared up too? Amazing! :smile:

I started doing the Muscle exercises on the wii fit today. They really felt like they did something, so I'll be doing it more often ^___^ (Also can you actually unlock other settings to Wii Step Advanced? I've been trying like hell to get to 4 *s on it to see if there's anything else to unlock but failed thus far, stuck on 3*s >_<)
Original post by Muffinz
Oh my God you look fantastic!! :biggrin: And has your face cleared up too? Amazing! :smile:

I started doing the Muscle exercises on the wii fit today. They really felt like they did something, so I'll be doing it more often ^___^ (Also can you actually unlock other settings to Wii Step Advanced? I've been trying like hell to get to 4 *s on it to see if there's anything else to unlock but failed thus far, stuck on 3*s >_<)

Wouldn't say cleared up, but is certainly a lot better since losing weight & changing diet!! My skin's sooo sensitive, I'm even "allergic" to e45 cream! But I digress..

I've never done the muscle exercises, not sure why really just prefer the games :biggrin:. Not sure if there's anything else to unlock, I can't get 4 stars either :tongue:.
Wouldn't say cleared up, but is certainly a lot better since losing weight & changing diet!! My skin's sooo sensitive, I'm even "allergic" to e45 cream! But I digress..

I've never done the muscle exercises, not sure why really just prefer the games :biggrin:. Not sure if there's anything else to unlock, I can't get 4 stars either :tongue:.

Lol I've been doing mostly the aerobic stuff (and rhythm Kung-Fu xD) but decided to try one of the pre-selected regimes today and ended up doing the muscle exercises... they're pretty good! So hard but I think that's the sign of something good for you right? I need to tone my stomach and thighs and bum anyway they're huge >_<

In other news: I just took down my insulin:carb ratio. I also took down my basal insulin during the week, and as a result I'm taking a lot less (and my blood sugars are looking a lot better too!). Insulin facilitates weight gain in diabetics so the less the better in terms of weight loss :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Spoiler

You have done amazingly!!!!! Your hard work has defo paid off you look great you should be so proud of yourself :smile:

As for the scale issue - i can imagine it's annoying as it'll make tracking your progress a bit harder but weight is just a number right and as long as your happy with the way you look and feel healthy weight shouldn't really matter xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by squiff93
You have done amazingly!!!!! Your hard work has defo paid off you look great you should be so proud of yourself :smile:

As for the scale issue - i can imagine it's annoying as it'll make tracking your progress a bit harder but weight is just a number right and as long as your happy with the way you look and feel healthy weight shouldn't really matter xx

Thank you :-). Well from now I'll still be able to tell how much I've lost, but this week's weigh in might be a little odd.. mind you maybe they're the same. Maybe I've just genuinely put weight back on lol I had the kind of "no scales no calories" mindset :').
Uuuurrrgghhh??! How do people deal with cravings?!! :frown:
Original post by Muffinz
Lol I've been doing mostly the aerobic stuff (and rhythm Kung-Fu xD) but decided to try one of the pre-selected regimes today and ended up doing the muscle exercises... they're pretty good! So hard but I think that's the sign of something good for you right? I need to tone my stomach and thighs and bum anyway they're huge >_<

In other news: I just took down my insulin:carb ratio. I also took down my basal insulin during the week, and as a result I'm taking a lot less (and my blood sugars are looking a lot better too!). Insulin facilitates weight gain in diabetics so the less the better in terms of weight loss :smile:

You might find this interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYlIcXynwE

It's very very simplified because it's talking as if someone has no knowledge of the subject but it's something nonetheless.
Original post by truechristian91
Uuuurrrgghhh??! How do people deal with cravings?!! :frown:

Buy small packs of the stuff you've got cravings for - I found that 2-bar Kitkats were perfect for satisfying my chocolate cravings, for around 100 calories. As an alternative to crisps, make air-popped popcorn and add salt. I get cheese cravings badly, so I buy some nice Parmesan at the beginning of each term of uni, and have just a sliver of it instead of a big hunk of cheddar.

More of a tip on snacking rather than cravings: keep all your food in the kitchen and don't snack in there! Sounds silly but if you walk in there, pick up a small snack, and go back to your room or wherever to eat it, you're likely to eat less than if you stand in front of the cupboard eating biscuits straight from the pack.
Original post by Shawshank
You might find this interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYlIcXynwE

It's very very simplified because it's talking as if someone has no knowledge of the subject but it's something nonetheless.

It is interesting. I still don't know the exact mechanics of how insulin makes you put on weight but all the nurses and doctors have told me it does :s
Apart from the 2/3 of a bottle of wine (oops xD) I don't think I've done too badly for my birthday 'thing' with friends - 3 slices of thin crust veggie pizza (with low fat cheese) and a small portion of Men and Jerry's yogurt.

Considering I burnt off 600 calories at the gym (assuming the machines ate accurate) I think it cam be justified :smile:
Just weighed myself this morning, and I'm 191lbs (down from 194 c: )

[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];33778634']Apart from the 2/3 of a bottle of wine (oops xD) I don't think I've done too badly for my birthday 'thing' with friends - 3 slices of thin crust veggie pizza (with low fat cheese) and a small portion of Men and Jerry's yogurt.

Considering I burnt off 600 calories at the gym (assuming the machines ate accurate) I think it cam be justified :smile:

It's justified :smile: hope you had a brilliant day!
What is with all the red?!!!!!!!

On another more related note... I am going for my run shortly. I'm hoping I can do just as well as I have been previously this week, because it's really boosting my confidence. :smile: I can finally run 1 mile fairly comfortably, so we're doing 1.5 today.
(We used to always run 2 miles, but we've decided to try to work up to it so we can do it comfortably rather than struggling so much).
Wish me luck :smile:

:smile:
Woohoo!! I just weighed myself and I'm definitely under 11 st now. I'm 10 st 12 lb and thrilled to bits about it. I lost 9.75 lb last month which is fab. If I can lose maybe 7 - 10 lbs again this month I'll be so happy. I think 7 lb is more realistic but you never know. Time for breakfast, some abs and a trip to the gym. I've got a date with the treadmill x