The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

What are the better areas in Birmingham?

Now that my degree is over, I have to move off campus, but I fancy staying in Birmingham for a while longer. What are the better places to live? Or alternatively, which places should I avoid like the plague?

For example I hear Selly Oak is a prime crime target because of all the students. Handsworth and Perry Barr are apparently dangerous and dirty. I like the City Centre, but rents seem really expensive here, etc etc.

Any advice from anyone who's moved off campus would be welcome.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sutton Coldfield is the best part of Birmingham.

I think areas like Harborne, Edgbaston, Bournville are also supposed to be some of the best areas in Birmingham.

I think the worst areas are probably like Handsworth, Lozells, Aston and Nechells.

Mainly the worst areas seem to be where they are high ethnic minority population (which tend to be the inner-city areas) although there are poor white areas as well.

Good map showing ethnic diversity - http://www.birminghameconomy.org.uk/wards/wardethcomp.htm

This should give you a good rough idea:

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/birmingham-news/2011/03/16/revealed-birmingham-children-in-poverty-shock-97319-28342785/2/
(edited 12 years ago)
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Sutton Coldfield going out to lichfield are lovely, basically the further you get from new street on cross city line the better.
Reply 3

Thanks a lot, that's a good start.
Sutton Coldfield
Harborne
Edgbaston
Bournville
Lichfield

I'll start looking around these areas. Any other suggestions? Places to stay the heck away without a 2x4?
Original post by LSE-or-Broke
Thanks a lot, that's a good start.
Sutton Coldfield
Harborne
Edgbaston
Bournville
Lichfield

I'll start looking around these areas. Any other suggestions? Places to stay the heck away without a 2x4?

I'm living in the Jewellery Quarter pretty much in Hockley and it's alright!
Reply 5
I live in Northfield at the minute. It's a little chavvy in certain places but generally a nice place to live. Excellent high street and it's on the cross city train line, 20 minutes from New Street. It's also a stone's throw from the Worcestershire border and some beautiful countryside if you like that kind of thing. Probably cheaper than places like Sutton Coldfield etc. My flat is up for sale at the moment too if you're interested :wink: :tongue:
Reply 6
Edgbaston
Moseley and Kings Heath(parts) are quite nice.
Solihull is better than Birmingham in general, apart from Chelmsley Wood that is.
Reply 8
Original post by gillipies
My flat is up for sale at the moment too if you're interested :wink: :tongue:

For sale? I couldn't possibly afford to buy a whole flat.

Thanks for all the replies so far, they're helping me narrow down my options.

Three areas I've seen a lot on gumtree but haven't heard anything here about: Saltley, Alum Rock and Small Heath. Yay or no.
Reply 9

Three areas I've seen a lot on gumtree but haven't heard anything here about: Saltley, Alum Rock and Small Heath. Yay or no.

They are deprived inner city Muslim areas lol.

(I'm guessing you're white?)
Original post by TRS-T
Sutton Coldfield is the best part of Birmingham.

I think areas like Harborne, Edgbaston, Bournville are also supposed to be some of the best areas in Birmingham.

I think the worst areas are probably like Handsworth, Lozells, Aston and Nechells.

Mainly the worst areas seem to be where they are high ethnic minority population (which tend to be the inner-city areas) although there are poor white areas as well.

Good map showing ethnic diversity - http://www.birminghameconomy.org.uk/wards/wardethcomp.htm

This should give you a good rough idea:

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/birmingham-news/2011/03/16/revealed-birmingham-children-in-poverty-shock-97319-28342785/2/

thanks very much, two excellent ways of analysing brum. i think by the looks of things that selly oak is a pretty fair bet. fairly central and at least reasonably good socially.
Reply 11
Original post by TRS-T
They are deprived inner city Muslim areas lol.

(I'm guessing you're white?)

Race doesn't matter to me, but "deprived" and "inner city" do.

Thanks for all the replies. Here's hoping I get something good!

I drive through those parts of Brum pretty often and I wouldn't live there!
Harborne/Edgbaston :daydreaming:
Reply 14

Last question: Erdington. There are a lot of Erdington houses on studentpad.
Reply 15
so if aston is part of the worst areas, then aston university is unsafe and a dump?
Reply 16
Aston is B6, Aston Uni is B4

Last question: Erdington. There are a lot of Erdington houses on studentpad.

Pretty ****ty, can be ok if you're closer to Gravelly Hill area
Reply 17
Original post by Smtn
Aston is B6, Aston Uni is B4

what????
Original post by avion111
what????

Different post codes (I assume). Aston uni isn't actually in Aston, it's much closer to the centre of town.
Reply 19
Original post by Smtn

Pretty ****ty, can be ok if you're closer to Gravelly Hill area

****ty in terms of crime or just not very posh? And Gravelly Hill is good?

Quick Reply

Latest