The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9380
If you have a genuine grievance - and are able to prove it - then you'd go to either your store manager, your area manager or a HR representative. If I was you, I'd seek anonymous advice from HR - ring a representative up. If you go against your department manager with all guns blazing, and with insufficient proof that they are treating you wrong, and they can prove that you're accusations are false, you might become liable for a disciplinary and dismissal yourself.

Sainsbury's have a complaints procedure that must be followed. Ask your HR department [if in a supermarket] for a copy, or like I said, ring up HR or HR Shared Services. And obviously there's the colleague number on that card that was given to you during your induction - Rightline. The number is 0800 085 2099 and is anonymous and they should be able to offer some advice.
Original post by WDooley1
If you have a genuine grievance - and are able to prove it - then you'd go to either your store manager, your area manager or a HR representative. If I was you, I'd seek anonymous advice from HR - ring a representative up. If you go against your department manager with all guns blazing, and with insufficient proof that they are treating you wrong, and they can prove that you're accusations are false, you might become liable for a disciplinary and dismissal yourself.

Sainsbury's have a complaints procedure that must be followed. Ask your HR department [if in a supermarket] for a copy, or like I said, ring up HR or HR Shared Services. And obviously there's the colleague number on that card that was given to you during your induction - Rightline. The number is 0800 085 2099 and is anonymous and they should be able to offer some advice.

Thanks for your help.

I didn't have solid proof til recently but now I'm fairly certain I do. I'm definitely going to go ahead with it as my education has been set back a full year by his unnecessary actions.
Reply 9382
Original post by MinervaExpeliamos
Thanks for your help.

I didn't have solid proof til recently but now I'm fairly certain I do. I'm definitely going to go ahead with it as my education has been set back a full year by his unnecessary actions.

Well all I can say is good luck. *PLEASE* seek advice from Right Line or HR first though. These incidents can get progressively worse when they're taken to such an official level. Not only will this cast aspersions on his leadership ability, but it'll place him in a horrible spotlight. I'm not saying that you should suffer in silence, but you should definitely seek advice before you make any hasty decisions.

Advice will cost you nothing - a miscalculated judgement on your part might cost you your [and/or his/her] job.
Reply 9383
BUMP

Anyone?!!!!

Tell their line manager or HR. Have you tried telling your manager how you feel?
Reply 9384
My interviews been successful and I have been offered a job, thanks everyone for any help you gave me.

Also, during the last stage of the interview I was told about my induction if I get accepted so I said I would like it in the evening. So the interviewer said no problem because they have got a couple of people who would like their induction in the evening. However, HRSS rang me up today and said my inductions 9am-6pm for two days. I told him what I was told during the interview so he said he will contact me soon. Would that affect my job? could they say that they dont need my anymore or will they sort the evening induction out. Im a little worried at the moment so I need some help.

Do you think I will be given the evening induction or they will say you either attend the 9am-6pm induction or withdraw the application? Expecially if you have been in a situation where you couldnt attend an induuction please help I dont know if I should be worrying or will they sort everything out for me. Thanks
Reply 9385
If you decide to quit working at Sainsburys, can you take time off and work back there in the future? Or working one day, a Saturday or Sunday instead of 3 days a week?

I hate to leave Sainsburys and not have a job. If I started a new job, and get told they no longer need me or I don't get paid. I would be bored and get depressed having no job.

Sainsburys is okay to work for. With the pay rise coming up, I am not sure if I want to quit.
Guys these questions they ask at the 1st stage online what are the answers?? Are they in this post somewhere??

1st 1 is about meat gone brown but still in date and best action to take.

CAn anyone help me thanks
Reply 9387
Hello,
I've been working at Sainsbury's for a year and a bit now and I'm just about to start my second year of sixth form. I asked if I could just stick to my contracted hours (12 on a weekend) once I go back to college but I've been put in for 22 on my first week back :rolleyes: and about 15 for the next few weeks. I've been thinking about leaving for a while to concentrate on college work but I feel really guilty as everyone at work is really struggling with us being short staffed and I've been annoying already as I'm under 18 so supervisors have to alcohol check for me!
Even though I get stressed out with the work/college work I actually don't mind working there because, obviously, I enjoy the money.
So, any advice?
Oh and if I do hand in my notice... my checkout manager is away so should I give it just to HR? and then a separate one to the checkout supervisor/manager? :s-smilie:
My department manager won't let me move some of my holiday :frown: An actual holiday is all booked, but they won't let me move it to when my holiday actually is so I am going to have to take it unpaid :frown:

It's pretty stupid considering they give out holiday forms in January, how are we supposed to know when we are going to need the holiday that far in advanced!!!
Reply 9389
]My interviews been successful and I have been offered a job, thanks everyone for any help you gave me.

Also, during the last stage of the interview I was told about my induction if I get accepted so I said I would like it in the evening. So the interviewer said no problem because they have got a couple of people who would like their induction in the evening. However, HRSS rang me up today and said my inductions 9am-6pm for two days. I told him what I was told during the interview so he said he will contact me soon. Would that affect my job? could they say that they dont need my anymore or will they sort the evening induction out. Im a little worried at the moment so I need some help.

Do you think I will be given the evening induction or they will say you either attend the 9am-6pm induction or withdraw the application? Expecially if you have been in a situation where you couldnt attend an induuction please help I dont know if I should be worrying or will they sort everything out for me. Thanks
Reply 9390
Original post by hasm
]My interviews been successful and I have been offered a job, thanks everyone for any help you gave me.

Anyone?
Reply 9391
Original post by Aaron Ramsey
Guys these questions they ask at the 1st stage online what are the answers?? Are they in this post somewhere??

1st 1 is about meat gone brown but still in date and best action to take.

CAn anyone help me thanks

What would you expect staff to do with meat that looks wrong?

Forum rules state we are not allowed to help, and as others have said in this thread, if you don't have the common sense to answer the question, then the job isn't probably for you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hasm

I had to turn down my first induction dates as I was in a 3 hour university seminar when they wanted me to go for it - a fixed weekly time which my interviewer noted down. They did offer me a different induction though, a couple of days later. I got the impression that if I didn't accept that induction, I wouldn't get the job...
Reply 9393
Original post by hasm
Anyone?

It depends on the store you work in. If your working in a small Local store, you'll probably be sent to a bigger store to do your training. That will be pre-booked.

If your doing the training in the store your working at, it shouldn't be to much of a problem.
Reply 9394
Original post by Foulish
It depends on the store you work in. If your working in a small Local store, you'll probably be sent to a bigger store to do your training. That will be pre-booked.

If your doing the training in the store your working at, it shouldn't be to much of a problem.

the induction will be done at my store as it is massive. Will they do it in the evening for me? they said to me that they wont specially do an induction for 1 person however my interviewer told me a few people want to do it in the evening so i dont know what is going to happen.
Payday feels so long this month :frown:
Reply 9396
BUMP

Anyone?!!!!

If it's about your Department Manager talk to the Personnel/HR Manager. Just make sure to make it obvious that you'd like to talk in private. I'd have thought at first they may offer to try to resolve it informally but if that doesn't work out then you could ask to move departments or make a formal grievance. They are fully trained in dealing with conflict situations and I'm sure you won't be the first person that's ever had problems with their manager so don't worry too much. :smile:
Reply 9397
Original post by hasm
the induction will be done at my store as it is massive. Will they do it in the evening for me? they said to me that they wont specially do an induction for 1 person however my interviewer told me a few people want to do it in the evening so i dont know what is going to happen.

Even then, just because the store is massive, it doesn't mean they have a training room etc.

When I did my first aid training, we had people from Staines on the same course (Staines is a good 20/30 miles away from the store).

What did you apply for? If it is checkouts, it should be fine (Checkouts is basically doing the job with someone over your shoulder). If its bakery/counters, you may need to go in while it is open. Grocery/produce is probably the same kind of situation with c/o

If you have any queries, contact your store trainers @ your store to question them about it.
(edited 12 years ago)
^ you don't get any special induction on bakery and I'm pretty sure its the same for counters, you just get thrown in the deep end on your first day!
Reply 9399
Original post by Foulish
Even then, just because the store is massive, it doesn't mean they have a training room etc.

When I did my first aid training, we had people from Staines on the same course (Staines is a good 20/30 miles away from the store).

What did you apply for? If it is checkouts, it should be fine (Checkouts is basically doing the job with someone over your shoulder). If its bakery/counters, you may need to go in while it is open. Grocery/produce is probably the same kind of situation with c/o

If you have any queries, contact your store trainers @ your store to question them about it.

The induction is definately at my place because they already told me. Also its for the counter (customer service assistant) but however they said to me they dont do individuals, it has to be a few people. Also i rang HRSS who said they have emailed the store. However it has been a day but still the store has not replied to the email. The inductions start next week on 5th so i dont know what will be happening. Il try give the store a call and also if they can only provide me with inductions which i cannot attend will have to withdraw my application?